Does McRae need to do a Blighty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 17, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back in the mid 90s Malcolm Blight arrived as a 3 time losing Grand Final coach from Geelong. He learnt from his failings.
He swept out all the old establishment that had failed the Crows and would not be there in 5 years to win a Crows flag.
Within a couple of years, the Crows went back to back in 96/97.
I suggest McRae do the same and rely on the experiences from Bolton and Leppitsch. He has time to do this. He has no “win now” pressure.
Who stays?
He needs to build around a nucleus.
From what I’ve seen.
Moore. Maynard. Quaynor. Daicos boys. DeGoey. McInness. Grundy. Poulter. McRae. McCreevy. Pendlebury (basically a playing coach and the exception). Begg.
Everybody else? They become role players and get sifted through.
VFL form needs to be rewarded. If not demonstrating VFL form, to be moved on.
I reckon this year, though it won’t be a “winning” year… but it will be a damn sight more interesting if we finish with 8-10 wins with a team stacked with players that will potentially be there in 5 years time.

I'd take caution with the Blight approach if I was a club. I think that a key to Adelaide's success outside of Blight's coaching ability was their fitness.
The team was never dominant in either season during the minor round.

1997, 13 Wins, 4th place.
1998, 13 Wins, 5th place.

Neil Craig was the Fitness Coach I believe who coordinated a mini pre-season 1-2 months out from finals which somehow built them to peak for finals.

In 1997 they beat St Kilda, over running them in the 2nd half.

In 1998 they would have been eliminated under the current finals system after getting belted by Melbourne in the first week. Fair play to them though, they played under the 'McIntyre System' and made another run at it to play North Melbourne in the Grand Final. Objectively North Melbourne should have had that game done at half time, they kicked badly and again Adelaide's superior fitness allowed them to run over North Melbourne.

In 1999 Adelaide finished with 8 wins and obviously out of the finals.

Last edited:

The other thing Blighty had going for him back then was that he was in the absolute sweet spot as far as SA footy was concerned. The Power were a fledgling team so he had access to basically 90% of the best south australians to choose from. Plus the AFL didn't mind helping out the expansion teams till they had premiership success (as we know)

I think McRae needed to be harder after the Geelong loss. Should have nipped it in the bud.

Winning mentality means close enough is not good enough.

IIRC the big four that were let go were McGuiness, McDermott, A Jarman and Anderson.

Greg Anderson spent a lot of time in the twos in 95 and 96. Not a surprise.

Jarman should have been sacked in 1996 when he refused to play for the crows and played SANFL but they waited until the end of the season.

Mc Dermott only played 9 games or so in 96 and was over the hill....

MCGuiness maybe stiff but if the culture is that bad and you have an ageing mid why not make it four?

Back in the mid 90s Malcolm Blight arrived as a 3 time losing Grand Final coach from Geelong. He learnt from his failings.
He swept out all the old establishment that had failed the Crows and would not be there in 5 years to win a Crows flag.
I suggest McRae do the same and rely on the experiences from Bolton and Leppitsch. He has time to do this. He has no “win now” pressure.
Who stays?
He needs to build around a nucleus.
From what I’ve seen.
Moore. Maynard. Quaynor. Daicos boys. DeGoey. McInness. Grundy. Poulter. McRae. McCreevy. Pendlebury (basically a playing coach and the exception). Begg.
Everybody else? They become role players and get sifted through.
VFL form needs to be rewarded. If not demonstrating VFL form, to be moved on.
I reckon this year, though it won’t be a “winning” year… but it will be a damn sight more interesting if we finish with 8-10 wins with a team stacked with players that will potentially be there in 5 years time.

No McRae needs to do a McRae, and keep on the track that he is taking this side, and continue with the balance of youth and experience, focusing on getting this team to consistently play the game plan.
McRae doesn't need to follow coaches from the past. I'm pretty sure between McRae, Leppitsch, Bolton, Skipworth etc, they know the capabilities of this list, and where it can get too. It’s just a matter of time and patience....

I think at some point through the year if the losses keep stacking up a call will be made to properly play youth and rebuild, atm I think their is belief we can contend whilst partially rebuilding.

They're just not ready. Jetta, Egmolese-Smith and Tardrew are well above the kids in our VFL team. So is Cal Brown. Poulter's workrate is upto the mark and thus the most ready, but if you're concerned about Crisp butchering it, Poulter does the same as a wide receiver rather than at the end of bursting through AFL traffic.

They're just not ready. Jetta, Egmolese-Smith and Tardrew are well above the kids in our VFL team. So is Cal Brown. Poulter's workrate is upto the mark and thus the most ready, but if you're concerned about Crisp butchering it, Poulter does the same as a wide receiver rather than at the end of bursting through AFL traffic.

I think Poulter has a better more natural kick then Crisp and in time will be an upgrade on delivery in similar role coming down the wing.

I just want crisp to start playing a bit more team footy and less selfish start looking to run in a wave and use his team mates especially if they are good users.

I think Poulter has a better more natural kick then Crisp and in time will be an upgrade on delivery in similar role coming down the wing.

I just want crisp to start playing a bit more team footy and less selfish start looking to run s a wave and use his team mates especially if they are good users.
I agree regarding Crisp. Poulter looks like a nice kick, but seems to need a long wind up and always seems rushed in the end. Might just need more strength so he isn't as worried by tackles. I think pace might be an issue for his role - needs to develop some evasive tricks to buy a bit more time

When I saw the thread's title, I thought of when Geelong had Ablett snr, Gavin Excell & others in the forward line and went for all out attack. The mindset set was they didn't care if the opposition kicked twenty goals because they'd kick twenty five. I could see that working with Moore, Checkers, Krueger and JDG in the forward line.

I agree regarding Crisp. Poulter looks like a nice kick, but seems to need a long wind up and always seems rushed in the end. Might just need more strength so he isn't as worried by tackles. I think pace might be an issue for his role - needs to develop some evasive tricks to buy a bit more time

Yeah he is a bit Pendles in the way he moves not explosive like most wingers. Hopefully he works the tank to make up for it like Steele and Pendles cover the ground and run opponents ragged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blight went there in 97 and they were back to back 97/98.

Looking at a 5 year period, McRae and Co really need our most recent crop of draftees/trades to become solid/good players and a few to become A graders.
Don't think we can make a call on Poulter, Finn, Ruscoe, the SA trio, Dean, McMahon, Begg, Kelly and a few others.
Where can the A graders come from? Nick sure, do any others look A grade capable?
Reef, Henry, Lipinski, krueger Ginnivan, Mccreery have shown a bit and you would hope become good players.
There is a heck of alot of development to be done.

Looking at a 5 year period, McRae and Co really need our most recent crop of draftees/trades to become solid/good players and a few to become A graders.
Don't think we can make a call on Poulter, Finn, Ruscoe, the SA trio, Dean, McMahon, Begg, Kelly and a few others.
Where can the A graders come from? Nick sure, do any others look A grade capable?
Reef, Henry, Lipinski, krueger Ginnivan, Mccreery have shown a bit and you would hope become good players.
Hey good mention!
Ruscoe was playing good footy, down back, at the end of last year.
Their is no way that Madgen is superior to Ruscoe!

Nick Daicos is the obvious A-grader. I also think Josh Daicos and Quaynor are well on their way to becoming A-graders at their positions.

I reckon Ollie Henry has Jack Gunston-type potential, which is A-grade I would say. Reef, McCreery, Ginnivan, Kreuger and Lipinski all look set to be solid contributors for quite a while (I'm personally very high on the potential of McInnes and McCreery). I think Dean will be a fixture in our 22 for years, if he stays. Ruscoe is a solid half-back. Macrae and Poulter both have a solid chance at being decent footballers too. Haven't seen much of the SA trio, but have read good things.

Haven't seen much of Begg, but he looks alright. Kelly and McMahon... well, not sure. Kelly looks pretty rubbish, and McMahon has been shifted down back.

I think in 3 years both Daicos' and Quaynor will be very legitimate A-graders. Henry might take a bit longer, but I think he has it in him.

Nick Daicos is the obvious A-grader. I also think Josh Daicos and Quaynor are well on their way to becoming A-graders at their positions.

I reckon Ollie Henry has Jack Gunston-type potential, which is A-grade I would say. Reef, McCreery, Ginnivan, Kreuger and Lipinski all look set to be solid contributors for quite a while (I'm personally very high on the potential of McInnes and McCreery). I think Dean will be a fixture in our 22 for years, if he stays. Ruscoe is a solid half-back. Macrae and Poulter both have a solid chance at being decent footballers too. Haven't seen much of the SA trio, but have read good things.

Haven't seen much of Begg, but he looks alright. Kelly and McMahon... well, not sure. Kelly looks pretty rubbish, and McMahon has been shifted down back.

I think in 3 years both Daicos' and Quaynor will be very legitimate A-graders. Henry might take a bit longer, but I think he has it in him.
I think a couple might become A Graders by position - but the issue is that they'll most likely be flankers - other than N Daicos, not likely to have any other current mids or KPPs become A Graders. We really need to keep adding talent, or things might get really ugly in 4 years time when our current core is all over 30 or already retired.

I think a couple might become A Graders by position - but the issue is that they'll most likely be flankers - other than N Daicos, not likely to have any other current mids or KPPs become A Graders. We really need to keep adding talent, or things might get really ugly in 4 years time when our current core is all over 30 or already retired.
I think we will, no doubt. The last couple of drafts have been (apparent) successes. Drafting a good key forward is far and away the most important thing for me - as you say, lots of flanking talent, and KPDs are easier to find.

I think we will, no doubt. The last couple of drafts have been (apparent) successes. Drafting a good key forward is far and away the most important thing for me - as you say, lots of flanking talent, and KPDs are easier to find.
Serviceable mids and KPDS are easier to find than KPFs, but star mids and KPDs aren't easy and good teams generally have a couple of each of them. I think we have to go best available until we are more confident about any particular area. Melbourne got to recruit by position for the last few years, because in 2018 it was obvious that they had an awesome young midfield to build around, but we're still yet to find enough young planks in any area to not go best available.

Serviceable mids and KPDS are easier to find than KPFs, but star mids and KPDs aren't easy and good teams generally have a couple of each of them. I think we have to go best available until we are more confident about any particular area. Melbourne got to recruit by position for the last few years, because in 2018 it was obvious that they had an awesome young midfield to build around, but we're still yet to find enough young planks in any area to not go best available.
They were also able to poach two stud KPDs off other teams. Would love for us to do similarly with the forward line

They were also able to poach two stud KPDs off other teams. Would love for us to do similarly with the forward line
They brought them in using first round draft picks (sort of regarding Hogan's draft pick), which is what I meant by targetting their recruiting to build around their strengths - whether you use those early picks in the draft or to recruit an established or semi-established player is much the same to me. I don't think we've got a strong enough group of young talent in any area of the ground yet to do anything other than draft best available - we just can't afford to do a St Kilda and pass on a Petracca, because we haven't had a KPF for 8 years. Those years no longer matter in terms of building the next team

They brought them in using first round draft picks (sort of regarding Hogan's draft pick), which is what I meant by targetting their recruiting to build around their strengths - whether you use those early picks in the draft or to recruit an established or semi-established player is much the same to me. I don't think we've got a strong enough group of young talent in any area of the ground yet to do anything other than draft best available - we just can't afford to do a St Kilda and pass on a Petracca, because we haven't had a KPF for 8 years. Those years no longer matter in terms of building the next team
I agree, for sure - our strategy should still be BPA while our list is in this transitional phase. I just think that in the upcoming draft there's a serious chance the BPA will be a key forward

Patience needed - Cwood have won 3 flags in 60+ years. Pre-season aside McRae has coached 5 games - I think we've seen enough to suggest we will improve to the point of contending in not too distant future. Enjoy the development of the youngsters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back