Does your interest in the AFL wane when the WC is on?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's far more tactical than Australian Rules, so what you're saying makes no sense.

Profound nonsense.

Maybe 20 years ago but the tactical complexity of australian football now dwarfs soccer

So a sport that has less variables (less players, less available actions on the ball, less field, etc) is MORE tactical than Australian rules because you say it is?

What do you based your flawed opinion on?

The reality is the game of soccer is WAY more simple than aussie rules...

Agreed totally up to that point. Anyone who thinks soccer is more tactically complex than Australian football lacks an understanding of at least one of them.

Do they rotate the final or is it a MCG type arrangement?
It’s held in Croke Park every year, although given Dublin’s recent dominance of the Gaelic football competition some counties are starting to lobby that they play their home games in the provincial series at a different venue as they get far more exposure to Croker than your average inter-county team. Whatever inter state gripes may be had about the MCG teams advantage, Dublin have a much stronger home ground advantage and even MCG teams have to play home games against fellow tenants.

The very existence of this thread proves what a frivolous, vacuous bandwagoning, Theatre-going culture we have.

“I like this shiny new thing for the next 15 minutes and I’ve forgotten all about that old thing for the moment. I may go back to the old thing when the shiny thing is over.”

So no.

That's a strange interpretation.

The majority of people who've expressed interest in the WC have qualified that by stating it doesn't mean they've lost interest in the AFL in the meantime, but merely that if they have to choose they're going to prioritise watching the much rarer and more fleeting event while it's on. I would have thought that's a pretty rational decision if you're a lover of multiple sports.

Just lol at people pretending the world game is no good. How typically insular. AFL is brilliant but there’s a big world out there.
Also when the current game is 52 - 12 at half-time, I'd rather watch another game especially one with world class players.

Profound nonsense.

Maybe 20 years ago but the tactical complexity of australian football now dwarfs soccer

Agreed totally up to that point. Anyone who thinks soccer is more tactically complex than Australian football lacks an understanding of at least one of them.
Is it possible that a world sport with many many more years of professionalism over Australian football may be a tad more advanced on strategic thinking?

WC were on against us a few weeks ago, and by the 2nd half, yeah I suppose my interest had waned a little bit.

Contrastingly, they've been off tonight and while the part of me that enjoys having the tigers on top of the ladder is happy, I'm not very interested in the game. In fact, if WC come back on my interest might actually pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible that a world sport with many many more years of professionalism over Australian football may be a tad more advanced on strategic thinking?

Yeah it’s possible, even likely, all else being equal

But all else isn’t equal as smartest brain set out

Also how AFL has been borrowing a lot of tactics from soccer this past decade. Clarkson has been adopting our style based on it.

All you need to know with how advanced the AFL world is with tactics, is how the old folks are having a whinge at the coaches implementing their tactics. Now there's committees to try and kill the current tactics, which will only cause new ones. Then this cycle will repeat.

Excellence in strategic thinking is great to witness, but it loses its shine somewhat if the resultant spectacle is as sterile and bloodless as, in my opinion, soccer is.

So a sport that has less variables (less players, less available actions on the ball, less field, etc) is MORE tactical than Australian rules because you say it is?

The reality is the game of soccer is WAY more simple than aussie rules, by design. And that is good that soccer is available for all those people who may not be able to play something more advanced like aussie rules due to genetic difficulties.

Lol @ your last sentence. What a ridiculous statement

The reality is the game of soccer is WAY more simple than aussie rules, by design. And that is good that soccer is available for all those people who may not be able to play something more advanced like aussie rules due to genetic difficulties.
There's been many instances of players never playing AFL before in their life, suddenly being drafted and actually getting regular senior games.

Where as in soccer, I don't think there's a player that has walked into the top leagues around the world with no experience.

That should tell you how easy it is to pick up, as long as you have the athleticism.

There's been many instances of players never playing AFL before in their life, suddenly being drafted and actually getting regular senior games.

Where as in soccer, I don't think there's a player that has walked into the top leagues around the world with no experience.

That should tell you how easy it is to pick up, as long as you have the athleticism.

Because aussie rules favors athletic people and Australia is ripe for overseas people to pick up the sport due to our low population. You are literally proving my point by saying aussie rules favors athletes over soccer, however the tactics of the game are way more in depth than soccer simply because there is WAY more to do in aussie rules than soccer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back