Autopsy Dogs 60 defeated by Swans 79 - Rd 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Weightman stated in one of his interviews that he has been given licence to fly for his marks. This is all well and good if you are one out against a player of similar size. However, I think that he should be smarter than flying for marks in pack situations. He is 5'9 and few players of this height can take big marks in pack situations unless he is a freak like Liam Ryan. I'd like to see him hovering over the back and at the feet of the talls more often and using his skill and guile to snag a few more ground balls.

I wish our blokes would learn. We always have 2, 3 or even 4 players going for a pack mark, and NO ONE ever stays down. I wish they would change this

As everyone has said here, the Swans were by far the better team today.
If we can take anything out of that it’s that we were comprehensibly beaten and we still on just lost. The margin never blew out and if any of our easy shots at goal had gone through we could have snatched it. This tells me our defensive system is working well.
If players are down and missing easy shots you have to just take it on the chin.
Dunkley and Naughton to come back into that team over the next 2 weeks. We will start to look like we did in the first 9 rounds this year.

Kicking skills were down. Unable to hit targets. Also sick of seeing the ball flying off Bruce's finger tips. I think I only saw one forward run onto the ball. Mostly they were just standing still waiting for the ball to either fall into opposition hands or fly over their heads. Not good enough. We need to be careful with ball movement and find someone on the lead.

Bont handballing to an overlapping Cordy sums this game up. Oh well, move on to next week. Had a feeling Sydney would touch us up.

Baz Smith is back which is great.
This was the most frustrating bit of the game for me. Cordy’s foot skills are so ####ed. I’m sure the oppo tell all there players to let Cordy get free because they want the ball in his hands.

Couple of observations and thoughts

Bruce is having a bad patch almost reminiscent of 2020. Naughts being out highlighted this even more

Wallis is not best 22

Weightman had a bad game but he is young and learning and this will happen

Garcia is looking great for a player who has only played a few games. On top of this he brings the heat in the fwd line and if its between him and Scott for that pressure role then he might win it.

Oh to have Stef Martin back in....

Wasn’t a big fan of Cordy today. Haywood beat him every time one on one. Much prefer Young in defence than him.

Other than the big pack mark Haywood took in the last - i didnt think Cordy was on him for much of the game. Cordy played on Amarty mostly

Who the hell was on Jordan Dawson? and who the hell is Jordan Dawson anyhow...
Hunter... and he got slaughtered. Hunter stayed wide to provide an outlet and Dawson got into the corridor relatively unmarked for a couple of easy goals

Hunter... and he got slaughtered. Hunter stayed wide to provide an outlet and Dawson got into the corridor relatively unmarked for a couple of easy goals

Hunter pretty much did sweet FA yesterday, a pedestrian for most of the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only got to watch the first half due to other commitments but from reading this thread and looking at the stats it appears not much changed in the second half. We dominated clearances and got the ball inside 50 but execution was poor and the ball got out too easily allowing Sydney to transition quickly.

Our forwards were all in our worst performers statistically which makes it hard to kick a winning score. Wallis, Hannan, Bruce, Weightman and JUH all 8 disposals or less.

Naughton was a massive out, don’t think we can play 3 talls as well as Wallis and Hannan.

At the end of the day execution was poor, lacked forward half pressure which exposed our defence. 24 scoring shots to 20. We got what we deserved. Hopefully naughton and Dunkley back next week and a rejig of the forward set up and some better delivery into the forward line.

Our forward line had Weightman, Garcia, Scott, Young and Jamarra and the two most experienced players (Bruce and Wallis) had shockers.

The narrative will be that these plucky young swans are on the rise and beat the second team on the ladder but honestly we played a patch work of a team and had a mare and still easily could’ve won.

Anyone who thought our team today would be some kind of flag fav doesn’t know footy. Bevo is good enough to surprise us a lot but he can’t work miracles.

All we need is to get some boys back and secure the double chance.

we’ve had a crap run with injuries but that’s what it’ll take to stop us this year.

No one can win the footy against our best midfield. No one can defend the air against English, Naughton and Bruce. With those challenges no one will expose our lack of KPD foot speed.

right now we’re just humouring the league and hoping to keep our remaining guns healthy

Tidal waves won’t beg for forgiveness

the Swans were plucky but theyre not young. They were young at times this year but their current side has a nice blend, hence how competitive they are

Western BulldogsAttributeSydney
186.8cmHeight187.4cm
84.1kgWeight84.6kg
25yr 3mthAge25yr 6mth
90.0Games106.6

We lost yesterday purely because of our dysfunctional forward line imo.

We had two inexperienced players in key posts (Lewy Young and JUH).

Both were flying for the same mark at times.

Wallis looked slow and didn't provide much of an option.

I don't know what Anthony Scott's role is, but Bevo loves him so he must be doing something right.

I've been a big fan of Hannan in previous years, but he just doesn't do enough. I think in time JUH can take over until Vandermeer is ready.

That’s the difference yesterday. Huge loss. Massive.
and also highlights the issue of him flying for so many marks per game, especially up the ground, needs to reign it in, otherwise he'll miss important games.

We have been well beaten in 3 games this season - each time we’ve played only 1 ruck, and each time our forward line was shut down.

Simply - we need 2 tall forwards plus English /Sweet down there resting. The 3 prongs make it very difficult to defend long balls in.

Also means we get better clearances (which we won today - but how many were high quality?), but we definitely need crumbing forward (i.e. not Hannan and Wallis)!!!

We have been well beaten in 3 games this season - each time we’ve played only 1 ruck, and each time our forward line was shut down.

Simply - we need 2 tall forwards plus English /Sweet down there resting. The 3 prongs make it very difficult to defend long balls in.

Also means we get better clearances (which we won today - but how many were high quality?), but we definitely need crumbing forward (i.e. not Hannan and Wallis)!!!
Spot on , bring back the 3 headed dragon asap - naughton Bruce and English

Remove this Banner Ad

Back