Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Or back in Williams, Cleary and Poulter to play Taller if we wanted to hold the forward structure. Literally anything other then lobb full back

Nope, had to be Naughton

IF Naughton goes back, the assumptionat the time is we don't kick a score to win. We would be boned either way. The change to make was the game plan and to ease off the zone so our mids could help out better.

Fitness huge issue - lack of mid rotations today and throughout the season.

And never allow a spare in the last 2 mins when trying to win the game.

Dale outstanding

What happened after half time?
Snow Fail GIF by Pit Viper

Toxic and imo wrong thread title. A good judge of the coaches in this game and it’s prep was the excellent first half. This is what happened:

1.We came out and were on top. Excellent forward pressure. Prevented their intercept game, defence alright on repeat entries.

2. After our second key defender was injured due to one of many filthy plays by the excellent Toby Greene, it all went south.

3. Lobb moved back and played fine. BUT these are the effects of having to do that:

• brought their intercept game into it
  • the intercepts lead to the goals on the break which is hard to prevent even if it’s not your team weakness (but it is ours)
  • English less rest. He fought manfully despite that. But that’s how they got on top in the guts.
  • down a rotation, everyone was cooked

Yes, we missed our shots. We fumbled a few. Not coaching errors.

We couldn’t really chip it around because we were physically shot.

When you have an alright look at the sticks to win the game which we did, you weren’t out coached. Especially when all that goes against you. We were brutally unlucky and GWS are a very good team I respect a lot.

There are always things you can do better in a game of footy and we’ll rue that.

But I am proud of the boys and have no gripe with Bevo in this game.

Keep your head up lads. You have my support.

The other way of looking at it is that once you're down key defenders, maybe you ensure that the defensive line isn't playing insanely high and exposing the team to goals from the opposition transitioning from their defense. Maybe you roll back the KPF to defense that has actually played KPD across his career rather than a lumbering ruck/forward.

I know there are two fairly entrenched camps here, and it's probably futile to argue the point. But imo that third quarter was one of the worst coaching performances I've seen from this coach (and his team), and there have been a few contenders for that title in the past 18 months.

The team has virtually no ability to play situational footy, our structures are frequently bizarre and I don't know how that can't be a coaching issue. Maybe also an onfield leadership issue, but I find it difficult to blame Bont and the few guys he has out there who do stand up in those situations.

He is not going anywhere.

He said a few weeks ago pre-game he has a burning desire to coach for a long time.
That’s disappointing to hear. If he had the club’s best interests at heart he’d walk now.

He has been good, even brilliant at times. His time in the sun was 2015-16 but over and over again this year he has demonstrated that the game has gone past him.

Very stiff to lose two key defenders, always going to be difficult in those circumstances BUT Lobb??? We literally have Naughton getting beaten by Taylor and we send Lobb to fullback?

The tag on Bont really took over midfield.

Thought that was the worst game of Weightman’s career. Poor decisions and poor finishes. Notably trying to outmark English and not locking the ball in with a few minutes to go.

I’m not a Vandermeer hater and I thought early on in his career that he showed promise. I don’t see it anymore. Panics under pressure

Two key players down and players missing shots from 10-15 metres out? That is nothing to do with coachng.

S#!+ thread title I'm sorry.

Nope. This is all about coaching. Watch the game again if you dare. Particularly the run on in the third. It happened again. And it'll happen again and again and again. That's coaching.

We lose the unloseable...again.

Across the past 4 games, opposition teams have applied a total of 78 more tackles than us.

Also, is there a stat for which team gets first possession after a pack mark spillage? I expect oppositions would regularly go at 70% against us for this, especially in our back half.

IF Naughton goes back, the assumptionat the time is we don't kick a score to win. We would be boned either way. The change to make was the game plan and to ease off the zone so our mids could help out better.

Fitness huge issue - lack of mid rotations today and throughout the season.

And never allow a spare in the last 2 mins when trying to win the game.

Dale outstanding

You weren’t going to score much in the third against the wind anyway.

That was the most important quarter hold a 4+ goal lead heading into the last and then swing Naughton back forward if required and if we needed to hit the scoreboard.

It was in no way a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

Naughton had to go back and we had to adjust roll a winger back and a half forward up. Slow the game down and defend given the injuries.

We lost the game in the third quarter and we lost the third quarter because the coach made the wrong calls during that quarter in response to Bruce going down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont should be leading a players revolt tbh. Surely a footy brain like his can see what is self-evident, that the coach is killing the team with the ludicrous, inflexible approach to team defense that not only facilitates runs of goals against, but also exposes an ageing and slow defensive line to quick transition. It's honestly under 14s stuff and how a premiership coach continues to roll it out despite mountains of evidence that it is costing games is a complete mystery.

He's getting elite/AA seasons from Bont, Libba and English (although the latter again got towelled up when it mattered most by just an average opposition ruck) and has a potentially potent forward line plus some established good users of the ball from half back. The list isn't perfect, it has gaps in KPD and wing positions but who does have a perfect list? It should be way better than a .500 team, which is what we have been since the debacle that was the 2021 GF.

I can't expose myself to this anymore, it's too frustrating. I'll continue paying the membership for my boys and I, but I can't watch that. I feel so sorry for Bont and the ageing players on the list who are being failed by those in charge, hopefully there's a substantive change in the administration, footy department and coaching team that can right this ship because there's only one way this is going. Top level talent is keeping the ship above water (just), but there is a massive hole in the hull and it's being ignored.
How would you address our failings coach?

Some of our players looked like they had lead in their boots today. Scott, Williams and JUH all moved like glaciers. The first two mentioned have never been quick and perhaps we need to find players with more pace. Baker is no star but at least he can run. Not really sure why he was dropped tbh.

After Q3 10'

Inside 50s (Efficiency)

WB: 24 (24%)
GW: 29 (52%)

Shots / Score
WB: 6 (3.3.21)
GW: 15 (9.7.61)

53 of those 61 points from GWS came from turnover, we scored 1 goal.

21 points for GWS were sourced from our F50 (6 scores), we scored 1 behind.

First Possessions
WB: 18
GW: 25

Contested Possessions
WB: 60
GW: 71

Clearances
WB: 19
GW: 15

Kicking Efficiency
WB: 63%
GW: 73%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 50%
GW: 76%

Forward Half Unforced Turnovers

WB: 3
GW: 0

1 each to Bontempelli, Johannisen and Vandermeer

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)

WB: 4
GW: 2

2 to English, 1 each to Gardner and West.

I just don’t understand Bevs immovable insistence on not playing Naughton back when the situation requires it. It does not mean he has to play whole games there,or successive games there or even a set number of times a year. What is it he fears? Naughton will walk? People will see Bev as weak? He had to implement another guys idea?
Naughton was being well beaten at FF. We were down two kpds. English had stopped winning in the ruck and a change with Lobb might ignite something. Just try it for a quarter. Try something, just do something.

Just looking at the remaining fixtures, if we are any sort of hope and our coaches get all of their collective shit together, really ****ing quickly…

We should be winning the next 3 games before our regularly scheduled loss to Geelong, which still won’t be enough for them to make finals. Or, we win it because they have downed tools as they should be out of the race.

I’ve got us finishing 6th now, to play GWS in finals (oh boy). Carlton 5th to play Essendon or Sydney, likely the winner of tonight’s match.

**All this is null & void if we lose to Richmond next week btw

Scraping into finals will just paper over the already papered cracks, but I fear our mentally weak club is just broken. Melbourne did it since 2021, broke Bevo as well and we haven’t been able to recover. Even one of their discards played out of his skin today, so the stranglehold they have is only behind Geelong now.

Very stiff to lose two key defenders, always going to be difficult in those circumstances BUT Lobb??? We literally have Naughton getting beaten by Taylor and we send Lobb to fullback?

The tag on Bont really took over midfield.

Thought that was the worst game of Weightman’s career. Poor decisions and poor finishes. Notably trying to outmark English and not locking the ball in with a few minutes to go.

I’m not a Vandermeer hater and I thought early on in his career that he showed promise. I don’t see it anymore. Panics under pressure
That ball was pretty clearly directed towards Weightman. It was English who came in from the side.

After today's game, I am not looking forward to playing Richmond next week. Losing to them after losing to GWS is just not acceptable. No way.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Toxic and imo wrong thread title. A good judge of the coaches in this game and it’s prep was the excellent first half. This is what happened:

1.We came out and were on top. Excellent forward pressure. Prevented their intercept game, defence alright on repeat entries.

2. After our second key defender was injured due to one of many filthy plays by the excellent Toby Greene, it all went south.

3. Lobb moved back and played fine. BUT these are the effects of having to do that:

• brought their intercept game into it
  • the intercepts lead to the goals on the break which is hard to prevent even if it’s not your team weakness (but it is ours)
  • English less rest. He fought manfully despite that. But that’s how they got on top in the guts.
  • down a rotation, everyone was cooked

Yes, we missed our shots. We fumbled a few. Not coaching errors.

We couldn’t really chip it around because we were physically shot.

When you have an alright look at the sticks to win the game which we did, you weren’t out coached. Especially when all that goes against you. We were brutally unlucky and GWS are a very good team I respect a lot.

There are always things you can do better in a game of footy and we’ll rue that.

But I am proud of the boys and have no gripe with Bevo in this game.

Keep your head up lads. You have my support.

Don’t necessarily disagree with what you say especially if it was a once off but what we saw today has become the rule rather than the exception.

We have not stood up in games where the opportunity was there to enhance our ladder position today was another one of those games

We have no integrity as a team and cannot be trusted therefore we are not good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back