Review Dogs choke the life out of The Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had a recent history of drafting/trading in vfl standard battlers and giving them a good run at it, I was expecting rhe same with bramble, but wow have i been pleasantly surprised, he's been absolutely brilliant in every game. Kudos to the trade team, hope he can continue the amazing form, hasn't set 1 foot wrong.

Still doesn’t sit right with me that he is unvaccinated! I’m worried about the safety of other players on the team.

NSW Police Commissioner hasn’t allowed any officers back into the force that weren’t compliant.
Surely you are having a lend…..ok I’ll bite

Covid is over and has been for a while

Games like these show that we almost have to stop thinking of Aaron Naughton as a "key forward" and more of a all-around, "tweener" between being a key and general forward. He's in some ways a different player to what he was in 2019. He's not leaping over packs and wrestling blokes in the same way. But his pressure, groundball work and second and third efforts would be been good even for a 180cm small forward, let alone a bloke as tall as he is. He doesn't visually "look like" a small forward but the net result of his actions on the field get to the same end result.

So our usual 4-4.5 hour round trip turned into a 6 hour marathon on the way home (detour for offspring with car trouble), so just got in from a very enjoyable day at the footy.

Apologies if others have mentioned him, and given it was a fairly poor opponent, but I'll just say rumours of Taylor Duryea's demise were a little premature. Makes good decisions, can kick both sides. Big challenge for him and the team next week, hopefully all are up to it.

Poulter looked ok when he came on, but I've still got Baker ahead of him for one wing. Baker just covers so much ground from end to end, brings lots of positive energy. Will be interesting with Richards back too, where does Williams go?

Some great team goals today, but against poor opposition. Hopefully give the Corio Moggies a good touch up in Adelaide.

I didn’t say that lol.
I’m saying soft whining supporters shouldn’t sook about actual players, coaches etc.
Being jealous is not really cool. Dreaming you’re worthy of being a paid commentator, because you write an essay, or can make up a childish name, on some free website, is next level.

Yeah, why talk about actual players, coaches and commentators on a footy forum after a game when there are other hot topics for an Easter Sunday evening like “everyone is jealous except me!”

Probably Carlton and Essendon
Half right.

The full list of lucky raffle winners is:
  • Fremantle
  • Melbourne
  • Essendon
  • St Kilda
  • Gold Coast
  • North
Congratulations to those clubs. You will receive your prize of a four premiership point bonus in the mail shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to just stop the priority picks full stop but particularly here. In an 18 team competition the Eagles won the flag only 6 years ago. Other clubs will be rightfully annoyed if they get assistance now.

It will never happen, but I’d like the draft to just be pick #1 to 18th, pick #2 to 18th on a 2-year combined ladder, pick #3 to 17th, … pick #35 to the premier, pick #36 to 1st on a 2-year ladder. Just make being s**t for consecutive years part of the system and stop the ad-hoc draft assistance.
It’s messy…but it’s at least a system. The league intervening at their own discretion is just woefully amateur.

Lots to like in this one;

Pros
  • really well rounded performance. We won by 76 points without relying on the brilliance of bont and libba. Our bottom 15-24 look so much better this year than last.
  • Forward line genuinely looks good together. Synergy building and personnel only improving
  • the inside 50 count was even yet we won by 76. Defensive work rate was right up there (even if we were lucky on a handful of occasions that could and should have been goals.)
  • Have a few out of the defense, on top of personnel changes. Think they held up really solidly, especially after quarter time (but a lot of that was on poor defending of the centre of the ground in q1 I felt, which was down to the next line up)
  • vandermeer had a great game, and deserves the praise
  • got over 100 2 weeks on the trot

Cons
  • centre bounces it felt like we were beaten. I said it in another thread too, but the midfield looked worse with macrae in it - great when we had the ball but we looked slow out of possession and gave them looks. I dont blame this on Macrae and think theres a place for him, but it isnt as simple as play the biggest names because we looked quite similar to last year in the middle.
  • we had even inside 50s to west coast. Yuck.

Good to get some revenge for last year too

Apologies for the lateness…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 86 / 106 (+20)
WC: 54 / 30 (-24)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +32 / +76

Centre Bounce Attendance
18 - Treloar
16 - English
13 - Bontempelli
12 - Sanders
11 - Liberatore, Macrae
7 - Darcy
3 - Gallagher
1 - Weightman

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
49 - English (24 / 8 / 8)
27 - Darcy (11 / 2/ 4)

English v B. Williams (40 contests)
Hitouts: 18 / 15
To Advantage: 5 / 3
Sharked: 6 / 2
Clearances: 15 / 10
Score: 3.2 / 1.3

Darcy v B. Williams (21 contests)
Hitouts: 6 / 10
To Advantage: 1 / 7
Sharked: 3 / 1
Clearances: 6 / 12
Score: 2.0 / 0.2

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 10
WC: 10

Hitouts Sharked

WB: 12
WC: 6

First Possessions
WB: 28

WC: 42

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 28 / 25 (89%)
WC: 37 / 24 (65%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 62%
WC: 62%

Smothers
WB: 8

WC: 3

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 69%
WC: 55%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 87%
WC: 81%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 15
WC: 5

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 5
WC: 9

Score Launches
3 - Khamis, Liberatore, Treloar
2 - English, Johannisen, Williams
1 - Baker, Bramble, Dale, Daniel, Darcy, Duryea, L. Jones, Macrae, Naughton, West

Targets Inside 50

10 - No target/rushed
9 - Ugle-Hagen
4 - English, West
3 - Darcy, Naughton
2 - Bontempelli, Gallagher, Vandermeer
1 - Weightman

Inside 50 Repeat Entries
WB: 10
WC: 15

Inside 50 Retention (minimum 3 inside 50s)

100% - Bramble (4/4)
100% - West (4/4)
100% - Macrae (3/3)
83% - Bontempelli (5/6)
83% - Naughton (5/6)
67% - Darcy (2/3)
67% - Ugle-Hagen (2/3)
50% - Treloar (4/4)
33% - English (1/3)

Shots At Goal
WB: 26 (62%)
WC: 18 (17%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / West Coast)
Set Shot: 11.2 / 2.6
Snap: 3.2 / 1.5
On Run: 2.2 / 0.0
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 4.0 / 0.0
15M-30M: 8.2 / 2.3
31M-40M: 1.1 / 0.2
41M-50M: 3.2 / 1.4
51M+: 0.1 / 0.2

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 2.0 / 1.0
Scores In Time-On: 6.3 / 0.4
Scores Sourced From Defensive Half: 9.3 / 2.6

Score Assists
4 - Naughton
3 - Liberatore
2 - Bontempelli, Macrae, Vandermeer
1 - Baker, Bramble, Treloar, Ugle-Hagen, Weightman, West

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 35
WC: 26

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 11

WC: 6

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 20
WC: 19

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 37

WC: 50

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 15
WC: 9

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Dale
2 - Naughton, Ugle-Hagen, Vandermeer, West
1 - English, Liberatore, Treloar, Weightman

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 8

WC: 3

Turnovers Punished By Goals
None

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 63%
WC: 37%

Q2
WB: 60%
WC: 40%

Q3
WB: 45%
WC: 55%

Q4
WB: 44%
WC: 56%

Match
WB: 53%
WC: 47%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 191 (Above Average)
WC: 154 (Poor)

Q2
WB: 179 (Below Average)
WC: 150 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 191 (Above Average)
WC: 167 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 193 (Above Average)
WC: 172 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 189 (Average)
WC: 161 (Poor)

Pressure Points Per Player
62 - Bontempelli
49 - Sanders
41 - Liberatore
40 - Treloar
39 - Weightman
31 - Gallagher
29 - Macrae
29 - Daniel
28 - West
27 - Williams
26 - Naughton
24 - Johannisen
24 - English
22 - Ugle-Hagen
21 - Vandermeer
17 - Bramble
16 - Baker
15 - Khamis
14 - Dale
13 - Darcy
12 - Duryea
10 - L. Jones
6 - Poulter

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 5.2 / 2.5 (1.0 / 1.2 from centre bounce)
Scores From Turnovers: 9.7 / 0.6
Scores From Kick-Ins: 2.1 / 1.1

Half right.

The full list of lucky raffle winners is:
  • Fremantle
  • Melbourne
  • Essendon
  • St Kilda
  • Gold Coast
  • North
Congratulations to those clubs. You will receive your prize of a four premiership point bonus in the mail shortly.
Suns double up against the Roos in addition to the Eagles too. AFL desperately want them to play finals.

Meanwhile I reckon we’ve got a very tough draw.

Really pleased to see the recent recruits (Sanders, gags, Darcy) playing well.

Just need a couple more to come on like Clarke, Buss etc to make me feel like we didn't bottle the last few drafts.
Parts of last year were super frustrating with all of our 2023 first year players (Buss, Clarke, Gallagher) injured for large blocks along with Darcy and Jones from the year before. We couldn’t even take excitement watching the kids at Footscray.

Feels like the exact opposite right now getting 2-years worth of draftee additions with only really AOD missing.

Pressure Points Per Player
62 - Bontempelli
49 - Sanders
41 - Liberatore
40 - Treloar
39 - Weightman
31 - Gallagher
29 - Macrae
29 - Daniel
28 - West
27 - Williams
26 - Naughton
24 - Johannisen
24 - English
22 - Ugle-Hagen
21 - Vandermeer
17 - Bramble
16 - Baker
15 - Khamis
14 - Dale
13 - Darcy
12 - Duryea
10 - L. Jones
6 - Poulter

Gotta love Sanders on 49 pressure points. For a 1st year player that is super elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back