Travel Domestic Travel in AUS

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m travelling to broken hill end of April, and coming back via sth australia, thinking of 5 nights around the sth end of flinders ranges ie Quorn then down to the Clare valley are back via mt gambier, might be lucky to squeez a bit more in.
Anyone have any suggestions of that area ?

I've never been there .

Maybe just use Google on places the night before you go.

Hope you have as good time .

I’m travelling to broken hill end of April, and coming back via sth australia, thinking of 5 nights around the sth end of flinders ranges ie Quorn then down to the Clare valley are back via mt gambier, might be lucky to squeez a bit more in.
Anyone have any suggestions of that area ?
Wilpena Pound is awesome and Rawnsley Park has some nice accomodation. I grew up in the Clare Valley so know the region quite well but I’m now in the Barossa so know that region well also. Plenty of bike trails in the region and obviously plenty of cellar door sales in picturesque locations

Looking for a Victoria drive long weekend away in late April or May. Wanting to go somewhere I haven't been before.

Any thoughts on Echuca/Moama vs Albury/Wodonga? Bright was the other option but I've been there before and it's a lot more expensive.

I'd skip both in favor of Apollo Bay or Wilsons Prom. Both nice areas down on the coast rather than inland on the Murray.

I'd skip both in favor of Apollo Bay or Wilsons Prom. Both nice areas down on the coast rather than inland on the Murray.
Have done Apollo Bay, nice place but very familiar having done a lot of time in Lorne and travel to Apollo Bay day trips.

Wilsons Prom. might be interesting! Will have a google tonight

My wife and I (from Melbourne) went over to Margaret River region in WA for a week recently. It used to be quite a saga to get there, but Jetstar now flies direct into Busselton, which is in the area and only about ~40mins drive from Margaret River town itself.

I thought it was nice! Good change of scenery for us, which was what we needed. Had a very similar vibe to Mornington Peninsula, though a little more country/hippie rather than yuppie. Explored some great lighthouses and caves, and it was all very easy to get around in a hire car. There's a bajillion wineries, breweries, distilleries and gourmet-ish food.

It was well worth it if you like that sort of thing - not necessarily somewhere I think would have enough going on for kids or those chasing intense nightlife. But you like wine and food and great scenery, it was good. Is a much more accessible option than it once would have been.

My wife and I (from Melbourne) went over to Margaret River region in WA for a week recently. It used to be quite a saga to get there, but Jetstar now flies direct into Busselton, which is in the area and only about ~40mins drive from Margaret River town itself.

I thought it was nice! Good change of scenery for us, which was what we needed. Had a very similar vibe to Mornington Peninsula, though a little more country/hippie rather than yuppie. Explored some great lighthouses and caves, and it was all very easy to get around in a hire car. There's a bajillion wineries, breweries, distilleries and gourmet-ish food.

It was well worth it if you like that sort of thing - not necessarily somewhere I think would have enough going on for kids or those chasing intense nightlife. But you like wine and food and great scenery, it was good. Is a much more accessible option than it once would have been.

We took a tour from Perth to Margaret river area and Busselton.
Really liked Busselton would of liked a little more time there.

Margo river town noithing special really .
Did the lighthouse cave and wine tasting .

They put 4/5 jugs of beer on the table at lunch.
No one likes the beers so I drunk all the beers .
Almost started singing drunken sailor on the bus ..lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good ol' Jetstar.

My partner thought to give them ago for the first time in a while ...and we are stuck on the tarmac with "technical issues". Let's see if we can take off a second time after an aborted take off.

I've always flown with Virgin and never had any issues with them.

Virgin are better than them .

🛫

Random question for ya'll.

So I'm going to Korea/Japan later in the year and on the way back I'm going Seoul > Sydney > Adelaide with what I believe is a 6/7 hour layover in Sydney. Would there be any issues if I just went and bought another Sydney to Adelaide ticket the next day so I could stay the night there rather than kicking round the airport. Will probably just have carry on luggage so not like it'll go straight through to Adelaide. Can't see why this would be an issue but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something before booking one.

Random question for ya'll.

So I'm going to Korea/Japan later in the year and on the way back I'm going Seoul > Sydney > Adelaide with what I believe is a 6/7 hour layover in Sydney. Would there be any issues if I just went and bought another Sydney to Adelaide ticket the next day so I could stay the night there rather than kicking round the airport. Will probably just have carry on luggage so not like it'll go straight through to Adelaide. Can't see why this would be an issue but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something before booking one.
There is no real problem as your bags will come off at SYD anyway and you will complete your customs and immigration before transferring to the domestic terminal. As a matter of courtesy I would then let the airline know that you won’t be joining them on the domestic flight. Just tell them you are crook or some other excuse. Otherwise you will be the person they are calling on the PA and as a no show they will hold up the flight to make sure your luggage isn’t onboard.

just spent a week or so in darwin. had never been before and thought it was great.

litchfield national park and being able to swim under the waterfalls. mindil markets.

plenty of decent restaurants and bars and the city was very walkable, clean and safe. definitely recommend for a break from the melbourne weather.

just spent a week or so in darwin. had never been before and thought it was great.

litchfield national park and being able to swim under the waterfalls. mindil markets.

plenty of decent restaurants and bars and the city was very walkable, clean and safe. definitely recommend for a break from the melbourne weather.

I regret cutting my trip short and not doing Darwin. I was meant to be doing the full lap, but got pretty poor by the time I was done with the reef and Daintree, and ended up just coming back to Melbourne a different way, skipping Darwin, Alice and Adelaide altogether.

I'd love to do it again one day, leaving Melbourne and doing the Perth/Broome/Darwin/Adelaide loop, but I'd need to do it in a much more expensive van than I did the first trip in, cos that was tough. So I doubt it'll ever happen.

(For all Jayco's advertising about being affordable, towable campers aimed at families, they're flimsy as hell, I had so many things break on it. I was able to fix some of it, but a lot of it I wasn't, and repairs is where at least a few thousands of my budget went.)

Canberra verse Adelaide for a family holiday?

Open also to alternatives within driving distance of Melbourne that a dog could join us for.

Not wanting to spend days on end at the beach/water.

When are you looking at going?

I'm not sure Canberra is great for a "family" holiday - a lot of the attractions are things like galleries, memorials, parliament etc... stuff kids want to do at school, not on holidays.

The exception is if you're waiting til the midst of summer. While everyone heads for the beach in February, Canberra has its multicultural festival, it's easily the best week of the year in Canberra. There are plenty of locals who turn up Friday night and don't leave til it finishes on the Sunday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back