Don't look back in anger - it just got even stronger

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stuff the two big men up forward. And forget about Rich and Redden. How excited are you about our defence this year!!

One monster tall with speed who will always get his big rusty fist on the footy and trouble the number one forward all day = Merrett.

A tall mobile player who can use the footy, play a shut down role on a key forward or cause trouble as a floating extra plugging the space = Patfull.

Two exquisite users of the football who run and create play and have the ability to by-pass the midfield and spot (and hit) leading targets in the forward 50 = Drummond and McGrath. One more than likely to attract a defensive tag.

A clearance player who can shut down the opposition's best small forward and organise the troops at the same time = Adcock.

Running strength to assist our gameplan (setting up play from the back half) = Raines/Hawksley/Hanley/Austin/Clarke. We will play the most accountable at any given time.

A mobile 3rd tall to assist when needed against the forward lines with multiple mid-taller options (e.g. Hawthorn, Collingwood, Bulldogs) = Staker.

The most mobile ruckman in the league to drop back in the space and feed the running options = Clark.

Icing on the cake if he gets fit = Maguire. If he can stop the opposition's 2nd best tall, Patfull will be released and cause all sorts of headaches for opposing coaches.

Quite frankly you have rocks in your head if you don't agree our defence is still our strength. ;)

Thats all very well and good Warwick, but according to many we have a poor weak defense. Obviously there is something wrong with that awesome set up you've mentioned that not one Lions supporter can see. Oh wait, thats right, we aren't a Victorian club, thats what the problem with our defense is !

I can remember reading in an interview with Strawbs when he said that one of the best things for him was to practice defending against Browny. Now he (and the other guys) has Browny and Fev to help hone his (their) skills.

But of course, we have a really weak defence :D

For a side that was ranked, what, 15th, in clearances last year (I think), with a painfully obvious lack of depth in the middle (more so last year than this year), I find it strange that people can still consider our defense weak, when we somehow conceded the 5th least points in the league. Given the defense was copping a hammering week in week out, I think it held up in the long run quite well (despite losing key players Adcock, Merrett, Patfull, and Drummond for lengthy periods of time).
Could possibly become the strongest defence in the comp this year.
-Scarlett and Milburn aging, will weaken the Geelong backline (though they hopefully welcome back Hunt)
-Hard to see the Saints sliding too far, though I don't expect their back half will be as impressive as last year...and throw in the possibly of them actually copping a few injuries... might shake them up a little.

I think we're at worst the 4th best defence.

Funny how non-observers, who simply enjoy having opinions on everything, will preach how our backline is our weakness (despite only watching Brisbane when their team is playing us..)

Let the underrating continue.;)

Totally agree, defense is our biggest strength. I would say out of our back six 4 of them (Patfull, Merrett,Drummond, Adcock) would be a walk up starts to all the teams in the AFL and if McGrath continues his form he would be included in that group.

Totally agree, defense is our biggest strength. I would say out of our back six 4 of them (Patfull, Merrett,Drummond, Adcock) would be a walk up starts to all the teams in the AFL and if McGrath continues his form he would be included in that group.

Maguire if he stays fit, will also be a big bonus in this for us, as we haven't had a true CHB since Leppa retired, and he one of our defensive keys with Mal that helped build the dynasty. Our strong back six was a big reason for this.

Possibly the only real reason I sometimes consider moving Clark form the ruck to CHB is for this very reason....

bigkev.jpg

Pfft!

Warwick.....what is he on?

Fev and Browny will be so busy tearing the opposition a new one in 2010 that our defenders will become irrelevant.

Merrett, Patfull, Magiure, Drummond and co. will have to satisfy themselves with having long siestas in the back half.

Geez...any fool can see that;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back