Autopsy Doomsday - Diabolical Dogs Downed by Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Said this another thread. But we aren't as good as we think we are. Teams have figured out how to play us. We get out coached in the box and on the feld. We lack a cohesive forward line. We try to play too pretty at times and we are terrible at kicking. I have my doubts for September.

The most reassuring thing is that these last two games we really couldn't have played that much worse, and our opposition (especially Carlton) played extremely well. We have a lot to improve on, and a lot of it was genuinely basic skills.

The most glaring issue is how little pressure we were able to put on Carlton kicks inside 50. Yes Zaine or Gardner might not be the answer, but Alex Rance couldn't have stopped those marks on a lead. We just aren't working back enough, or we aren't setting up well defensively at stoppages and just letting their midfielders link up with handballs to break into space.

Was happy with Marra today. Several moments that he was unlucky not to score with, could have easily had 3-4 (if he was given that mark that was a Naughton free kick). A lot to like.

Bad luck guys, I have a soft spot for the Doggies.

Not sure how much Bevo is involved in list management, but I do feel for him given the unbalanced nature of the list he's working with, with so many good mids but not many good KPPs. He's kinda hamstrung and makes it tough to coach.

Libba was great tonight back in the middle where he should be, but can't blame Bevo for putting Bailey Smith in there as he's a young gun. The issue is the team has so many good mids that realistically some need to be played out of position, which isn't really good for the team or individual player.

Then the KPPs...Cordy and Gardener are pretty average and the team has no second ruck/forward. This means that basically the only way the Dogs look good and win is if there is speed on the ball and the midfield is dominating. As soon as they game slows down and becomes a contest the lack of good KPPs really hurts. Puts a lot of pressure on the midfield as they can't just break even, they have to be right on top, all the time.

I think the list manager has a bit to answer for, which could include Nick Austin who is now at Carlton (though he's done pretty well for us getting Saad, Williams, Cerra, Hewett and Young). In an ideal world, trading a few mids for some good KPPs would really balance out the team and make it stronger imo.

We did not deserve to win that game to be honest, the midfield was very average tonight just baffles me that we have a great midfield but we let it get waltz out with ease but that could with positioning, defence was pretty bad in the first half but got a bit better in the second half, forward structure still needs improvement but it was better then last week, I would keep playing JUH to get games in him and to help Naughton out, feel like Bont needed a rest tonight he looked pretty slow and doesn’t seem 100%.hopefully Crozier is ok after his faint at halftime.
Final verdict very disappointing performance again but hope we can turn this around quick on to next week.

Can someone with more time than me please get the stats for our W L record in games where we have played two recognized rucks under Bevo. Would love to know.
Some stats:
  • Bevo has coached us in 162 games, with an overall winning % of 57% (92/162).
  • Of those 162 games, we've won the hitout count 25 times (15%).
  • Of games that we've won the hitouts, our winning % is 68% (17/25).
  • Of games that we've lost the hitouts, our winning % is 55% (75/137).

Not exactly what you asked for because I thought it was a little contentious about who to count as 'recognised rucks'. Over Bevo's time, more often than not we have played what I consider 1x ruckman (Minson, Campbell, Roughead, English, Sweet, Martin) and 1x part timer (Ayce Cordy, Boyd, Trengove). In saying that, English and Roughead both played plenty of times as a 'part timer' and I believe Boyd played a handful as main ruck.

Some stats:
  • Bevo has coached us in 162 games, with an overall winning % of 57% (92/162).
  • Of those 162 games, we've won the hitout count 25 times (15%).
  • Of games that we've won the hitouts, our winning % is 68% (17/25).
  • Of games that we've lost the hitouts, our winning % is 55% (75/137).

Not exactly what you asked for because I thought it was a little contentious about who to count as 'recognised rucks'. Over Bevo's time, more often than not we have played what I consider 1x ruckman (Minson, Campbell, Roughead, English, Sweet, Martin) and 1x part timer (Ayce Cordy, Boyd, Trengove). In saying that, English and Roughead both played plenty of times as a 'part timer' and I believe Boyd played a handful as main ruck.

I’d do anything for those part timers right now. Especially Boyd.

I’d do anything for those part timers right now. Especially Boyd.
English was essentially that last season when we had Martin/Sweet playing alongside him. He's progressed now to be able to take the number 1 spot, problem is we don't have another English/Boyd/Trengove type to play competent backup to him whilst also contributing in a different position.

Bad luck boys
I hate seeing those s**t eating cheats win anything .

Deserved to lose though with that second quarter effort and then the kicking at the end .

2nd to the ball isn’t going to win them any games , just stood there watching it a lot if the time , bizarre .
Anyway quick question, where is Bruce ?
You need someone who can kick remotely straight cause Naughton is terrible ( Shame because he does some great work to get the ball )

Bad luck boys
I hate seeing those s**t eating cheats win anything .

Deserved to lose though with that second quarter effort and then the kicking at the end .

2nd to the ball isn’t going to win them any games , just stood there watching it a lot if the time , bizarre .
Anyway quick question, where is Bruce ?
You need someone who can kick remotely straight cause Naughton is terrible ( Shame because he does some great work to get the ball )

He's 2/3 of the way through an ACL recovery. Won't be seen until later this season if at all.

Is a huge loss to our forward structure (without even considering his goalkicking accuracy), the fact we won through to a GF last year is an underrated point and he's still badly missed.

Other than a couple of instances our goalkicking was generally fine tonight before we shat the bed over the last 15 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 2/3 of the way through an ACL recovery. Won't be seen until later this season if at all.

Is a huge loss to our forward structure (without even considering his goalkicking accuracy), the fact we won through to a GF last year is an underrated point and he's still badly missed.
Bummer , big loss .

He used to s**t me to tears but then he started playing some really good footy and slotting them from all over the place .

You’ve got a good one in English though .
I genuinely can’t understand the knocks that guy gets from some people .

English was essentially that last season when we had Martin/Sweet playing alongside him. He's progressed now to be able to take the number 1 spot, problem is we don't have another English/Boyd/Trengove type to play competent backup to him whilst also contributing in a different position.

Shouldn’t we therefore go with team-first and play him 50/50 forward/ruck? If it’s more beneficial for the team?

Bummer , big loss .

He used to s**t me to tears but then he started playing some really good footy and slotting them from all over the place .

You’ve got a good one in English though .
I genuinely can’t understand the knocks that guy gets from some people .

He gets knocked cause he is played in the wrong role.

He is a forward/chop out ruck and a damn good one.

He's miles off ever being a number one ruck. He never will be.

Shouldn’t we therefore go with team-first and play him 50/50 forward/ruck? If it’s more beneficial for the team?
Stef isn't fit (and never really will be) and Sweet isn't ready to take no.1 ruck without growing his game. It would be a net loss. IMO it's a list management issue not a coaching/selection issue.

Stef isn't fit (and never really will be) and Sweet isn't ready to take no.1 ruck. It would be a net loss. IMO it's a list management issue not a coaching/selection issue.

Do we have a list spot available? Mid season draft will be interesting if we do.

We need Stef Martin from 5+ years ago, not a SANFL/WAFL hopeful. Or we need more time to develop Sweet but the season won't wait for that. Or better yet we need a Tom Boyd type.

Need something asap. And Cordy ain’t it. Perhaps our coaches and board know where we sit… and are realistic.

He gets knocked cause he is played in the wrong role.

He is a forward/chop out ruck and a damn good one.

He's miles off ever being a number one ruck. He never will be.
He's either a really good Rory Lobb, or a terrible Max Gawn. Unfortunately we seem to see him as more of the latter

Need something asap. And Cordy ain’t it. Perhaps our coaches and board know where we sit… and are realistic.
ASAP is gonna be trade period at teh end of this season, we're so smart we don't even have a free list spot to hit the mid-season draft, we filled it with another VFL project, yay!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back