Autopsy Draft analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst watching the 9-10 hours of draft coverage from Friday night, I had a think about what the recruiting staff and scouts bring to the table and whether they are needed at all.

In the lead up to the draft I saw player ratings and phantom drafts on various websites, tv programs and newspapers such as SEN, ESPN, Fox Footy, Herald Sun, Bigfooty and the like. All of them were very close to what happened at the actual draft.

This is left field and probably wouldn't work, but if a club had no recruiters and no player scouts and put all of this saved money into player development, would there be a better outcome?

A club could let the media experts do all the legwork on ranking draftable players, use this information to take the best player with each selection, then bring these players into a league leading and beefed up development system.

Just a thought!

We could run a poll on BF

Not sure why all the negativity with our picks. We have done really well.
Simpkin reminds me of a young Bartel, hope he turns out 1/2 as good.
Watson is a KPD who is good one on one and is best intercept mark in the draft. He will replace Thompson and I'll make a prediction that he'll end up playing more games than Durdin & Neilson.
Williams has pace to burn and kicks goals. Especially with Harvey and Wells gone, he is just the player we need.
Larkey reminds me of a young Petrie, reckon that he'll turn out to be a good player. He is a great contested mark, will only get better as he puts on size.
Excited about 2017!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we went with the riskier picks this draft which isn't our usual mode of operation.
In past drafts berry, Clarke and mutch would of been taken.

Simpkin could be the bargain of the whole draft.
Williams could be Isacc smith of this draft.
Larkey and Watson are prototype KPP with agility to play on all sizes.

I had mixed feelings after the draft but when reading up on the unknowns I think they are the type we needed.
I agree, without any injury issues Simpkin will be a quality player, from limited highlights Williams is exactly the pure outside pace and penetration we need. He looks to work extremely hard once disposed of the ball, powering on to the next contest to stay involved.

Watson is a KPD who is good one on one and is best intercept mark in the draft. He will replace Thompson and I'll make a prediction that he'll end up playing more games than Durdin & Neilson.
12mths ago you said Durdin & Neilson would play 400 games between them under the bright lights of Arden St!!!! And that was on the heels of claiming Daniel MacConnell would be the find of 2008.

You don't see what I see! The way he plays reminds me of Reiwoldt. I'm not saying he'll be as good but he has similar attributes.

To me Mason Wood is the guy on our list who is most likely to be an "A" grade player.
I'll get shot here, but he was 'Duck' like in a few passages this year. Most likely to be an A- Grader!!!!

In: Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat, Majak Daw (rookie upgrade), Brayden Preuss (rookie upgrad), Marley Williams, Jy Simpkin (pick 12), Declan Watson (34), Josh Williams (36), Nick Larkey (73), Cameron Zurhaar (rookie), Oscar Junker (rookie), Matthew Taylor (rookie)

Out: Aaron Black, Nick Dal Santo, Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey, Robin Nahas, Brad McKenzie, Drew Petrie, Farren Ray, Joel Tippett, Daniel Wells.

WHAT THEY GOT: Some serious pace (in Simpkin, Williams and even Williams and Ahern, the latter of whom won't play for a while yet). A midfielder in Hrovat ready to take the next step. Got a bit more of what they had in terms of mid-sized forwards and backs, but some variety of type nonetheless.

IMPACT: Wow, the Roos weren't mucking around. Old players went out and they attacked the draft. They brought in Williams and Hrovat for immediate depth, while Ahern was an elite junior and could give them many good years once he overcomes his injury. Roos will probably go backwards before going forwards. The development of McKay, Durdin and a few others will be crucial for them long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some interesting ratings in there: Melbourne gain Hibberd and Lewis = unchanged. Geelong lose Enright, Bartel and Caddy for Tuohy also = unchanged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saints improving is a bit odd too.

In: Paul Ahern, Nathan Hrovat, Majak Daw (rookie upgrade), Brayden Preuss (rookie upgrad), Marley Williams, Jy Simpkin (pick 12), Declan Watson (34), Josh Williams (36), Nick Larkey (73), Cameron Zurhaar (rookie), Oscar Junker (rookie), Matthew Taylor (rookie)

Out: Aaron Black, Nick Dal Santo, Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey, Robin Nahas, Brad McKenzie, Drew Petrie, Farren Ray, Joel Tippett, Daniel Wells.

WHAT THEY GOT: Some serious pace (in Simpkin, Williams and even Williams and Ahern, the latter of whom won't play for a while yet). A midfielder in Hrovat ready to take the next step. Got a bit more of what they had in terms of mid-sized forwards and backs, but some variety of type nonetheless.

IMPACT: Wow, the Roos weren't mucking around. Old players went out and they attacked the draft. They brought in Williams and Hrovat for immediate depth, while Ahern was an elite junior and could give them many good years once he overcomes his injury. Roos will probably go backwards before going forwards. The development of McKay, Durdin and a few others will be crucial for them long term.
Decent analysis

In a strange way I prefer what we've done in the rookie draft than what we did with the later picks in the National Draft, particularly the Junker and Taylor picks.

In a strange way I prefer what we've done in the rookie draft than what we did with the later picks in the National Draft, particularly the Junker and Taylor picks.
I like Junker over any pick but Simpkin though I think the Larkey pick could look inspired down the track. Happy to see how enthused Josh Williams is to be at the club because he's got a lot of work to do, can't buy what he already has though.

I like Junker over any pick but Simpkin though I think the Larkey pick could look inspired down the track. Happy to see how enthused Josh Williams is to be at the club because he's got a lot of work to do, can't buy what he already has though.
Strange that Declan Watson doesn't seem to get any love. Defenders might not be sexy but they're damn important. I have a feeling that we'll look back in 2-3 years and thank our lucky stars we picked this guy up. Especially as we'll know in 12 months time whether or not Nielson has been a bust or not.

Strange that Declan Watson doesn't seem to get any love. Defenders might not be sexy but they're damn important. I have a feeling that we'll look back in 2-3 years and thank our lucky stars we picked this guy up. Especially as we'll know in 12 months time whether or not Nielson has been a bust or not.

Very good point. I think the key to any re-build is ensuring you have your key position players locked in otherwise you're chasing your tail from the onset. Watching the 2005 season go up in flames playing Shannon Watt and Leigh Brown at Fullback should be ingrained in every North fan's mind for years to come.

If we rated Declan this highly, glad we took him - and I feel confident that between Neilson/Durdin/Mckay/Watson to complement Tazz/Hansen - we've at least given a bit of thought into the future at this position.

Very good point. I think the key to any re-build is ensuring you have your key position players locked in otherwise you're chasing your tail from the onset. Watching the 2005 season go up in flames playing Shannon Watt and Leigh Brown at Fullback should be ingrained in every North fan's mind for years to come.

If we rated Declan this highly, glad we took him - and I feel confident that between Neilson/Durdin/Mckay/Watson to complement Tazz/Hansen - we've at least given a bit of thought into the future at this position.

good point, i remember Firrito and Gibson (traitor) trying to hold down key positions a decade ago too. Having said that Watt was pick 14 and Brown pick 5 in their respective drafts and i am sure they both played key positions in TAC. It's always a roll of the dice isn't it?

What we really need is Nielsen, Durdin and Watson all coming on because it never really hurts to have some trade bait stored away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back