Prediction Draft tampering is allowed now and AFL is completely alright with it this season. (Good to know)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't nominate to play a professional sport in a national competition then.

Where most are earning what they could on the tools living near their mates and sinking more booze in a month than an AFL can in a year.

The rate per hour of the regular AFL player, not the average salary, is quite poor for the effort required almost every hour of every day except a few weeks in the year.

I don’t see it as draft tampering if a player has an opinion if they’d prefer to go or not go to a certain state. That’s life & they have a right to state that. Same as WCE have the right to flat out ignore it, back themselves in & take a player that said he doesn’t want to go there. Then end of next year the player can request a trade like JHF and the club can choose to ignore that request (contracted), however NM choose not to.

We want our players to be honest in the media, yet we get upset when a bit of honesty comes out. I guarantee you there has been 18 year olds that WCE picked up, that if they were honest at 18 didn’t want to move to WA, however have gone on to have long careers, at WCE and have a life now in WA

Think if we all look back & are honest what we wanted and thought at 18 probably changed to when we were 19, 21, 25 etc. Doesnt mean that at 18 we shouldn’t express our thoughts & wants

Speaking of WA clubs, Fremantle seem to be a much better job in the last 4 or so years/drafts of getting a mix better local and interstate aka vic kids than their noisy neighbour counterparts.

I would tread very carefully if I am West Coat trying to get too fixated on drafting local/WA lads only.
We tend to shy away drom vic metro kids if they are mummies boys but have had no hesitation in grabbing vic country kids. They love it here, big country town etc.

Most of them stay here after footy too.

I don’t see it as draft tampering if a player has an opinion if they’d prefer to go or not go to a certain state. That’s life & they have a right to state that. Same as WCE have the right to flat out ignore it, back themselves in & take a player that said he doesn’t want to go there. Then end of next year the player can request a trade like JHF and the club can choose to ignore that request (contracted), however NM choose not to.

We want our players to be honest in the media, yet we get upset when a bit of honesty comes out. I guarantee you there has been 18 year olds that WCE picked up, that if they were honest at 18 didn’t want to move to WA, however have gone on to have long careers, at WCE and have a life now in WA

Think if we all look back & are honest what we wanted and thought at 18 probably changed to when we were 19, 21, 25 etc. Doesnt mean that at 18 we shouldn’t express our thoughts & wants
Ignoring players trade/draft wishes carries inherent risk.

Let's look at a couple of examples:

Josh Dunkley requested a trade to Essendon - Refused by the Bulldogs, he won the best and fairest the next year, but then still requested a trade to Brisbane.
Cam McCarthy requested a trade to Fremantle - Refused by GWS - Cam McCarthy simply refused to play for GWS at all the next season.

Where most are earning what they could on the tools living near their mates and sinking more booze in a month than an AFL can in a year.

The rate per hour of the regular AFL player, not the average salary, is quite poor for the effort required almost every hour of every day except a few weeks in the year.
Nothing like minnow clubs holding the comp back from a decent wage, facilities, coaching, physio etc.

Josh Dunkley requested a trade to Essendon - Refused by the Bulldogs, he won the best and fairest the next year, but then still requested a trade to Brisbane.
Cam McCarthy requested a trade to Fremantle - Refused by GWS - Cam McCarthy simply refused to play for GWS at all the next season.
Absolutely it has a risk, but their choice as individuals still exist & you can’t stop them from having it. The point is the player having it & expressing it isn’t draft tampering. If I was the club I’d much prefer the player to be honest about it (maybe not so publicly) than say nothing at all

There are also benefits too

Tom Papley - Requested trade to Carlton, refused by Sydney. He's now their best forward.
Rory Lobb - Requested trade to GWS, refused by Freo. Had his career best season and Freo got more currency the following year to the Bulldogs. Playing worst than his career best season now.

There are also benefits too

Tom Papley - Requested trade to Carlton, refused by Sydney. He's now their best forward.
Rory Lobb - Requested trade to GWS, refused by Freo. Had his career best season and Freo got more currency the following year to the Bulldogs. Playing worst than his career best season now.

Sydney won a Norm Smith after not getting a trade granted. The name is escaping me but I can see his face.

O'Keeffe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was the WCE, I'd be happy not to do the JHF thing and train and develop a player who wants nothing more than to leave.

With Tassie coming into the league in the next few years, compensation picks may be diluted further.

Pick a player that wants to play, the mental side of the game is meant to be about half of a players development.

Sydney won a Norm Smith after not getting a trade granted. The name is escaping me but I can see his face.

O'Keeffe?

Ryan?

Wasn't he the one who wanted to go to Carlton?
Ryan O'Keefe was after a trade to Hawthorn. Swans refused and he signed a 4 year deal with us - and subsequently won another GF & a Norm Smith in 2012.

I wanted to punch Kane Cornes on SEN today going on about how Reid has every right to not want to go to West Coast and try to avoid being drafted there. When Healy argued that the draft would fall apart if every player in the first round started doing that Cornes basically ignored the concern, despite the fact last year there were around 4 or 5 players in the top 10 who were considered flight risks.

How can clubs rebuild if half of the top talent can refuse to go to said club, especially if that club isn't Victorian.

I wanted to punch Kane Cornes on SEN today going on about how Reid has every right to not want to go to West Coast and try to avoid being drafted there. When Healy argued that the draft would fall apart if every player in the first round started doing that Cornes basically ignored the concern, despite the fact last year there were around 4 or 5 players in the top 10 who were considered flight risks.

How can clubs rebuild if half of the top talent can refuse to go to said club, especially if that club isn't Victorian.

It makes it extremely hard. It's mostly vic metro that sook about leaving Melbourne.

Very rarely It's from other states

It makes it extremely hard. It's mostly vic metro that sook about leaving Melbourne.

Very rarely It's from other states
Yeah but the Vic media will refer to that one time JHF went home after 1 year.

Never mind the club he was drafted to was a complete basket case, who recruited 2x Vic Metro players who basically told WCE/GWS they didn't want to go interstate, on the back of trading JHF to Port.

Or the fact Vic clubs have pillaged 'homesick' players from the expansion clubs since inception.

Regardless it's completely alright now and I'm sure future WA draftees will be doing likewise in the coming years.
So what’s your solution?? You want every draftee to shut his mouth and live in a location somewhere for 10-15 years of his life that he or she doesn’t want to live in…. This isn’t going to happen and you need to get real if that’s your end solution.

The best thing is simply for the kids to be honest day 1 and the club can then either trade for multiple other first round picks or take the risk full well knowing.

You can even get creative and float that pick around for ready made mature guns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back