Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

There hasn't been any standout 19 year olds so the recruiters have done a pretty good job

Hard to know whether recruiters will be more worried about this draft or the previous draft
a fair few got picked up midseason Newcombe Edwards Moyle etc

Essendon fans, take this opportunity to hear eDPS discuss his hopes for your draft along with some father-son prospects!

On this weeks episode of the Bigfooty Draftcast, The Wookie is joined by PMBangers and eDPS as we take a good hard look at the departures and possible replacements for West Coast, Essendon and Sydney. Plus updates on Bigfooty's own Neil Erasmus.

itunes taking its sweet ass time.

I didn’t think Johnson was worth of a senior list spot before he did his knee, let alone after rupturing his acl. Probably because we knew Brisbane were going to rookie him, in hindsight a bad decision.
Was not really calling you out more so saying what you have said in the fact we picked someone a number of people had question marks on. :thumbsu:

I don’t see how anyone could have watched any of this finals series and thought that we need anything other than big, bullocking midfielders.

Surely has to be whoever of Chesser, Goater, Erasmus and Johnson we think will be able to put on the most weight and tackle to hurt without compromising the ability to get around the ground.

Hobbs is a little short but the kid’s an animal, he’s be around the mark too.

I don’t see how anyone could have watched any of this finals series and thought that we need anything other than big, bullocking midfielders.

Surely has to be whoever of Chesser, Goater, Erasmus and Johnson we think will be able to put on the most weight and tackle to hurt without compromising the ability to get around the ground.

Isn't this just finals though.

It's a different game until Essendon fans start to convince themselves the midfield is good.

And whether they all last

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't this just finals though.

It's a different game until essendon fans start to convince themselves the midfield is good.

It’s a tall glass of complacency. Since when has ‘On our day, we’re good enough to beat anyone in the middle’ been something to hang your hat on?

The subtle irony is that a couple of genuine bruisers would release the smaller guys to the outside more and if form holds they would genuinely murder sides on the spread.

And whether they all last

I can’t see a situation where they are all gone but our talent ID has been very ‘eye of the beholder’ of late and I don’t think it’s a given that we take a small, let alone a midfielder.

It’s a tall glass of complacency. Since when has ‘On our day, we’re good enough to beat anyone in the middle’ been something to hang your hat on?

The subtle irony is that a couple of genuine bruisers would release the smaller guys to the outside more and if form holds they would genuinely murder sides on the spread.

I can’t see a situation where they are all gone but our talent ID has been very ‘eye of the beholder’ of late and I don’t think it’s a given that we take a small, let alone a midfielder.
Right now Erasmus is very unlikely, Goater is unlikely, Johnson and Chesser should last but not overly sure

Hobbs is the only one of those who brings the bullocking. Outside him you'd be better off looking at the second-rung WA midfielders with later picks after they bullied SA off the park.

Last edited:

I doubt Mac Andrew gets past us. He's such a Dodoro pick. Just when everyone is looking at the obvious need Dodoro goes for the outrageously talented tall. It probably comes off too.

A lot will depend on whether we are interested and have landed Chol by the draft. If we've got Chol we won't need the additional tall.

I doubt Mac Andrew gets past us. He's such a Dodoro pick. Just when everyone is looking at the obvious need Dodoro goes for the outrageously talented tall. It probably comes off too.

A lot will depend on whether we are interested and have landed Chol by the draft. If we've got Chol we won't need the additional tall.

I actually think Richmond will grab him but If he’s evaluated as the best available talent at that spot then so be it. Wouldn’t want to take anymore talls on because it becomes a bit of a logistical issue.

That would then mean that the 2 3rd rounders would have to be big bodied ball pigs and you’re banking on Mahoney bringing over some Jason Taylor magic to try and find the next Jordon or Sparrow.

We definitely need big bodies in the midfield. Happy for us to use our 1st pick on skills and class though as we definitely need more of that as well. If its Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera im ok as long as we bring in a couple of Jack Graham types with our 3rds. I think there'll be some big mids sliding in the draft like most years and guys like Hewett, Constsble, Brodie, Setterfield, Kennedy etc should be available as free agents/3rd round pick trades as well. Also now rosas has said no we should be looking for a small forward. Ronke still available.

Wanganeen-Milera or Rachelle seem to fill a need and could be available.
Given where our midfield is at, I think both would be very good. Class on the outside or up forward would be my priority with our R1.

Because up until 3qtr time if we'd kicked straight (OR better luck with the umps, either one) we'd have matched the Doggies? And that's with youngsters/inexperienced kids like Caldwell, Durham, Perkins, Waterman, and even McGrath having limited impacts (all 15 or less possessions). Cox didn't play. You'd expect that all of those young players would be better in 12-24 months through natural improvement, and of those McGrath, Caldwell and Perkins should add more around the contest (plus Langford would hopefully be available).

So no, I don't think it's an obvious assumption that our inside-midfield needs strengthening. I'd say it's the kick into the F50, and the players in the F50 that need strengthening the most.

Hence my interest in NWM and Rachelle.

Given where our midfield is at, I think both would be very good. Class on the outside or up forward would be my priority with our R1.

Because up until 3qtr time if we'd kicked straight (OR better luck with the umps, either one) we'd have matched the Doggies? And that's with youngsters/inexperienced kids like Caldwell, Durham, Perkins, Waterman, and even McGrath having limited impacts (all 15 or less possessions). Cox didn't play. You'd expect that all of those young players would be better in 12-24 months through natural improvement, and of those McGrath, Caldwell and Perkins should add more around the contest (plus Langford would hopefully be available).

So no, I don't think it's an obvious assumption that our inside-midfield needs strengthening. I'd say it's the kick into the F50, and the players in the F50 that need strengthening the most.

Hence my interest in NWM and Rachelle.

Like I said, I don’t see how anyone could have possibly see it, but clearly you have.

The top 6 sides at the end of the year all ranked top 8 for clearances and contested ball, we’re 13th and 15th in those category respectively over the regular season.

Yes we really missed Shiel and Caldwell who are two gun clearance players but that’s not the difference.

Huge deficiency, we’re the length of the Flemington straight away from the top sides. Which is probably why as soon as one drop of rain fell everything completely went to s**t in the elimination final.

Like I said, I don’t see how anyone could have possibly see it, but clearly you have.

The top 6 sides at the end of the year all ranked top 8 for clearances and contested ball, we’re 13th and 15th in those category respectively over the regular season.

Yes we really missed Shiel and Caldwell who are two gun clearance players but that’s not the difference.

Huge deficiency, we’re the length of the Flemington straight away from the top sides. Which is probably why as soon as one drop of rain fell everything completely went to sh*t in the elimination final.

We are actually a net positive on both clearance differential and contested possession differential. 8th in both stats.

It would be great to have it as a real strength but it isn't as big of a deficiency as you are making out.

We are actually a net positive on both clearance differential and contested possession differential. 8th in both stats.

It would be great to have it as a real strength but it isn't as big of a deficiency as you are making out.

That’s fine, probably a truer indication actually because it either means we are raging hot in games where we smash the differential but also get clobbered at times as well. The way that gets ironed out is with bigger, harder, combative bodies. Big guys don’t get any smaller as the game goes on.

It’s a deficiency as long as the game still has stoppages, so i guess we wait and pray Hocking gets his teeth back into footy again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back