Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Johnson seems a bit too good to be true to me.

Why would both WA clubs pass on a local with his ability?

Otherwise it would be a welcome development to add another big West Aussie inside mid back to the list.
Mostly because he doesn't really use his size in the contest or play with much intensity. Different player but reminds me of Langford in that sense.

every year we are like...lets trade next years 2nd, theres things we need now now now - it can be next years problem

then next year we are always fumbling about trying to scrape a second from somewhere because surprise surprise, theres another kid!

perhaps the lightbulb moment comes when you realise, there are good kids every year
Kicking that can down the road is a favoured past time of list managers world wide.
The real lightbulb comes when you get into the business of can-provision.

Where have you seen this? I don’t think I’ve seen Johnson mentioned anywhere as having inside midfield potential.
Ive watched him play 5-6 times. Add in Cerra as a comparison.

Hes very capable inside the contest. His ability to get hands on the ball and feed out by hand or use his agikity fir a big guy is elite. He also has shown hes willing to lay a tackle. If my memory is right laid 10 in a mens final late this year. If your playing him anywhere outside of the starting square than you shouldn't be picking him.

No doubt he takes a while at AFL level will be a few develipment years not many 193cm mids walk inside straight away. But hes as close as you will get though with the senior experience

Hes not Wines inside

He will start in the CBA and win plenty of CP footy aswell as a good balance of UCP footy

I dont think ive ever seen him not start inside the square unless it was for the best 2nds seniors comp team in probably Australia, Subi

Last edited:
Eh, I wanted him to play at half back anyway.
I know i just said i wouldnt pick him if i wasnt planning to play him as an inside mid 2-4 years away at AFL level but he has played half back and obviously rested forward

Ive seen him play CHB for a quarter or two at 193cm can be done against u18 kids and it was an all in state game last year where they wanted to get everyone a go in the middle especially the guys being drafted (Wasnt his draft year)

Last edited:

If we keep #11, I would be pleased with any of Hobbs, NWM, Johnson or Goater.

If we did the Richmond deal : #17 Wilmot, Johnson, Sinn, Sonsie. #28 Motlop, Taylor.

Not sure if it was just me, but wasn't there talk of a swap with Geelong?
#11 for #23, 30/32 or something like that?
That ruins Dog's plans I think.

If we keep #11, I would be pleased with any of Hobbs, NWM, Johnson or Goater.

If we did the Richmond deal : #17 Wilmot, Johnson, Sinn, Sonsie. #28 Motlop, Taylor.

Not sure if it was just me, but wasn't there talk of a swap with Geelong?
#11 for #23, 30/32 or something like that?
That ruins Dog's plans I think.
We wouldn’t trade 11 for 17 and 28. General consensus with recruiters about the level of players and the top tier is 13-14 players, I’d have to be a significant offer to give up a player to trade back.

Id say it could still happen, would need a Hobbs or Gibcus to be available. Even then id say we just take Hobbs

Would mean tigers pick Hobbs over Gibcus and Wanganeen over Gibcus from saints POV. It sounds unlikely, although saints travel to see NWM is interesting. Just doesnt seem Richmond are picking Hobbs over Gibcus now

Id still like to do 36 + 38 and F3 for F2, 51 + 56 at pick 4 bid once on Daicos (With Pies)

Officially on the Goater train, but I think if we are to nab a second pick in the 15-22 range we take Chesser and not Goater. Ive heard we have done our work on him, and are impressed. Seems to be a real impact player but his off field demeanor seems like something truck would love.

I, for one, look forward to the drafting of our big bodied messiah. From what I understand this will single handed my solve every single one of our problems right?
if at this point you genuinely can't see the value in having a couple of big bodies to rotate through the middle you have worms in your brain

every year we are like...lets trade next years 2nd, theres things we need now now now - it can be next years problem

then next year we are always fumbling about trying to scrape a second from somewhere because surprise surprise, theres another kid!

perhaps the lightbulb moment comes when you realise, there are good kids every year
  • 2015: used 2 second round picks
  • 2016: used 2 second round picks
  • 2017: traded second rounder as part of getting Saad & Stringer
  • 2018: used 1 second round pick
  • 2019: used 2 second round picks
  • 2020: matched Eyre in second round after 3 top 10 picks
  • 2021: no second as used on Caldwell

I don’t think this is an every year issue, and the times we have done it I’ve been plenty pleased with what we’ve done.

Officially on the Goater train, but I think if we are to nab a second pick in the 15-22 range we take Chesser and not Goater. Ive heard we have done our work on him, and are impressed. Seems to be a real impact player but his off field demeanor seems like something truck would love.

Just read a draft profile on Goater and he looks exactly like the type of player we normally pick. Has played in multiple positions, is a bit of a jack of all trades, but could eventually be a pure midfielder.

Looks like he'd be a good pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Neil Erasmus is available at our first pick, I'd be upset if we passed on him.

He is the perfect player for us. Downside is that he doesn't look overly quick and the likelihood of both WA clubs passing on him is very small, but if the rumours about Chesser to West Coast and Hobbs to Fremantle are true, then he complements our list very well. Our midfield would be complete.

Unfortunately I can see it happening if he does fall to us.

If Neil Erasmus is available at our first pick, I'd be upset if we passed on him.

He is the perfect player for us. Downside is that he doesn't look overly quick and the likelihood of both WA clubs passing on him is very small, but if the rumours about Chesser to West Coast and Hobbs to Fremantle are true, then he complements our list very well. Our midfield would be complete.

Unfortunately I can see it happening if he does fall to us.

Passing over him and Johnson if they’re available for Sinn sounds like such a Dodoro move I’ve already braced for it.

Mind you he’s done pretty well with the draft the last couple of years, so I’m trying (and failing) to not get attached to any prospects before we actually read our pick.

Passing over him and Johnson if they’re available for Sinn sounds like such a Dodoro move I’ve already braced for it.

Mind you he’s done pretty well with the draft the last couple of years, so I’m trying (and failing) to not get attached to any prospects before we actually read our pick.
Dodoro is at his best when he is under pressure. Early saga period after the draft bans, the 2016 draft after the player bans and winning the spoon, last year's draft and trade period after the disastrous year we had.

It's when the pressure is off that he makes classic Dodoro moves. We'll see if he genuinely changed how he approaches list balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back