Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to know two things with Hobbs

(1) what sets him apart from Parish, Shiel, Caldwell (Merrett and McGrath can be inside &/or outside mids)

And

(2) Hobbs’ attack on the contest strong enough to perform a role for us? Blocking, tackling etc for our prime movers?

This is why I questioned the selection initially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me i think i answered 1) elsewhere. His toughness, no short step, hes in your face, tough, rugged, ruthless, killer instinct attitude and play style is different to any of those guys. None of those guys are like Selwood or Adams thus they get smashed in CP

Its a very nice guys group (Ill exclude Caldwell) from all that but no issue with having 2

Interesting that Twomey has Hawthorn taking Knevitt at 23 (obviously before we had the first round).

Geelong otherwise has 24 and 25.

Based purely on sentiment, there is something about a future Cats midfield built around Conway (205 cm ruck), Stephens (188cm mid) and Knevitt (192cm mid) all from the Falcons that seems so right (or wrong depending on how you feel about the Cats).

Wonder what the height worriers thought of Matt Rowell after his first three games? McCluggage is only two cms taller and Hobbs has got time to catch him. Bulldogs final showed we need more inside ball winners. Great pick

Not to rag on Knightmare because I value the work he does but he is a classic for putting 'lack of positional versatility' in the weaknesses column when it just such a non issue. I remember he did it with Daniher and Max King off the top of my head and then Gibcus last night.

No one is not drafting Gibcus because he cannot play forward, just like no one is not drafting Hobbs because he cannot play on the back flank
Knightmare is one of the biggest nuffs going

Recruiters seems unlikely. I don't remember this happening on the forum with Cox, Perkins, Reid last year though. Prior to that there was a few McCluggage fans that weren't big fans of McGrath iirc, but that was more to do with them having married themselves to the idea of McCluggage pre-draft rather than anything actually wrong with McGrath.

Early perkins analysis.

Perkins wears a stupid hat, questionable kick - con
Highly attractive - pro

Not to rag on Knightmare because I value the work he does but he is a classic for putting 'lack of positional versatility' in the weaknesses column when it just such a non issue. I remember he did it with Daniher and Max King off the top of my head and then Gibcus last night.

No one is not drafting Gibcus because he cannot play forward, just like no one is not drafting Hobbs because he cannot play on the back flank

He will either put lack of positional versatility, or no defined role at AFL level, almost feels like a box tick when hunting for faults

Wonder what the height worriers thought of Matt Rowell after his first three games? McCluggage is only two cms taller and Hobbs has got time to catch him. Bulldogs final showed we need more inside ball winners. Great pick
I understand the concern, especially around the similarity to the rest of our group regarding height. Although his whole game is only similar to that of Caldwell really.

I didnt know who be was watching Vic games and quickly went this guy is doing well in a thumping loss.

I just watched his highlights and his decision making under pressure and skill execution is elite. He also has quite a penetrating kick. Ontop of the known hard nosed aggressive, tackling, CP and clearance winning bull he is

This is a good question, and one I have t seen answered.

eDPS , can Hobbs play forward or back? Obviously he is a midfielder but don’t see him starting in there in year 1

He has played forward and back before, he could play a wide range of roles early on

Your in charge of Hawks and youve told them your picking Goater before Sonsie. Offer:

Ess: F1 + F2 + pick 44
For
Hawks: Pick 23, F2 + F3 (Tied Freo)

Yay or Nay

Think the annoyingly predictable lament post pick is people focussing on what he can't do, or what he isn't... He's got no ceiling for improvement, hes not tall, he's not dynamic.

Hang about, any chance of focussing on what he can do? Run all day, tackle like a train, have the ball on a string, elite stoppage craft, poise, leadership, AFL ready body, hyper competitive... It's a far more exhaustive list yet the focus comes on the former. Weird.

This is it. Made me think of this from 2016 on the Bulldogs' recruiting approach.

The Age said:
Bulldogs recruiter Simon Dalrymple was prepared to overlook warts if there was beauty beneath. He took a view that one deficient skill or attribute could be offset by elite skills in other areas – but players had to be elite at something.

"We took a philosophy of looking at what the player could do rather than what they couldn't," Dalrymple said.

We had a mid-teens pick, and ended up with the bloke rated by many draft watchers as the best pure inside bull/extractor of the draft class. And still this place is full of melts. You'd think 4-5 inches height difference was career-ending paraplegia, the way some are carrying on.
Technically, pick 13 is the *lowest* teen number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know two things with Hobbs

(1) what sets him apart from Parish, Shiel, Caldwell (Merrett and McGrath can be inside &/or outside mids)

And

(2) Hobbs’ attack on the contest strong enough to perform a role for us? Blocking, tackling etc for our prime movers?

This is why I questioned the selection initially

He is a contested ball winner first and foremost. He just loves the contest. What sets him apart will be the answer to question two. He will block, tackle , harass and take his turn around the stoppages. He is the inside midfielder we do lack even if he is 4cm or 5cm shorter than what most where looking for. He is actually a natural inside midfielder. He is actually a short bull who in a lot of ways is like Ben Cunnington.
The only reason I preferred the taller players was I was looking more for the marking and some outside game first and an inside competitor later.
He is a good get. We will just have to hope Cox and Perkins can provide a bit of marking power through the middle while the small brigade do the inside work.

Another of his favorites is lack of athleticism when discussing inside midfielders. Not sure I am ever too worried if my inside man is only average pace and not athletic.

Another of his favorites is lack of athleticism when discussing inside midfielders. Not sure I am ever too worried if my inside man is only average pace and not athletic.

I'd love to see a retrospective Cunnington blurb..

Weaknesses - lack of outside game, lack of athleticism, lack of pace, lack of X factor, no versatility, no depth on kicks...it's a wonder he got out of the thirds!

We had a mid-teens pick, and ended up with the bloke rated by many draft watchers as the best pure inside bull/extractor of the draft class. And still this place is full of melts. You'd think 4-5 inches height difference was career-ending paraplegia, the way some are carrying on.

The chances are that when Essendon finally wins another flag, someone will be busy complaining about the umpires or how someone missed an easy shot at goal or didn't stick a tackle.

I'd love to see a retrospective Cunnington blurb..

Weaknesses - lack of outside game, lack of athleticism, lack of pace, lack of X factor, no versatility, no depth on kicks...it's a wonder he got out of the thirds!
And Hobbs pace on field actually looks ok as does Wards. Theyre never gonna run 40m with the pill but wont need to

I hope not, club would want to have good liability

Anyway get on with it

Lets say our only injury is Hurley (So we still arent injury free but pretty good)
Fb hind stewart kelly
Hb Redman laverde ridley
C Shiel Merrett Durham
Hf Snelling Jones Stringer
Ff Tippa Wright Langford
R Draper Parish Mcgrath
Ic Cox (utility) Heppell (Back) Caldwell (mid) perkins (fwd-mid)
- Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Back