Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you want to argure even though you are agreeing with ethan
He's not agreeing with him though. Draper is the 38th listed player, leaving 2 senior spots open, not 3.

39 senior listed players in 2019.
+ Cutler, Phillips, Draper
- Long, Houlihan, Bags, Myers
= 38

We would need to delist either Hartley or Brown to take 3 ND picks, which I believe is quite possible, but not what eth-dog was saying.

Yeah, just quintuple checked and I was wrong. We do only have 2 open list spots if we include Draper.

Yep nice one, so with this the case i think something definitely needs to happen with brown/Hartley as id prefer us to use at least 3 national draft picks.
Honestly I like it as is. 4 picks to be used on 2 inside mids, a developing ruck and a developing key forward (Riccardi).

So how are you happy with only 2 picks in the ND?
Because I've always been okay with using one of our second round picks on him? I mean Bowman will probably last to the rookie draft, and we can get the other inside mid in the rookie draft, like we did with guys like Hocking and Howlett?

Because I've always been okay with using one of our second round picks on him? I mean Bowman will probably last to the rookie draft, and we can get the other inside mid in the rookie draft, like we did with guys like Hocking and Howlett?
Is there not better players available in the National draft than the rookie draft? And Bowman probably lasting til rookie isn't definite so why not use a late nd pick on him? I dont see the strategy in keeping Brown/Hartley on the main list when we can just move them to the rookie list for back up. It would enable us to use our picks at the ND.

Is there not better players available in the National draft than the rookie draft? And Bowman probably lasting til rookie isn't definite so why not use a late nd pick on him? I dont see the strategy in keeping Brown/Hartley on the main list when we can just move them to the rookie list for back up. It would enable us to use our picks at the ND.
Because we risk losing them if we try to delist and re-rookie? And of course it isn't guaranteed, but the fact he wasn't invited to the state or rookie me combine indicates that it's more likely than not. Plus there's the fact that the ND comes with an automatic 2 year deal whereas the rookie draft is only 1 so we have more flexibility for next year, like with Jok. And sometimes the player you want is simply not worth a spot on the senior list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we risk losing them if we try to delist and re-rookie? And of course it isn't guaranteed, but the fact he wasn't invited to the state or rookie me combine indicates that it's more likely than not. Plus there's the fact that the ND comes with an automatic 2 year deal whereas the rookie draft is only 1 so we have more flexibility for next year, like with Jok. And sometimes the player you want is simply not worth a spot on the senior list.
I'll be honest i thought you could just directly move them to the rookie list. I wouldn't think theres any suitors out there for either Hartley or Brown though. An automatic 2 year deal on base wage for a couple of 18/19 year olds in brown/hartleys spot on the list seems like the better move for me. We have stacks coming ooc this time next year so will have plenty or room to make moves with our list.

I'll be honest i thought you could just directly move them to the rookie list. I wouldn't think theres any suitors out there for either Hartley or Brown though. An automatic 2 year deal on base wage for a couple of 18/19 year olds in brown/hartleys spot on the list seems like the better move for me. We have stacks coming ooc this time next year so will have plenty or room to make moves with our list.
Why have 4 players on 2 year deals when you can have 2 players on 2 year deals and 4 on 1 year deals? You move these sorts of players to the rookie list for cap relief, and they wouldn't be on that much.

Why have 4 players on 2 year deals when you can have 2 players on 2 year deals and 4 on 1 year deals? You move these sorts of players to the rookie list for cap relief, and they wouldn't be on that much.
Because thats what our list needs in my opinion. Good list management to have more kids out of the draft on base wage over 2 depth veterans that are on somewhere closer 200k. Brown and Hartley dont take us forward as a group. They did a job during 2016, and could still provide handy back up for another year in the event of major injury. Id be happy to see them do that from the rookie list if it gives us access to better younger talent in the ND over the RD.

Because thats what our list needs in my opinion. Good list management to have more kids out of the draft on base wage over 2 depth veterans that are on somewhere closer 200k. Brown and Hartley dont take us forward as a group. They did a job during 2016, and could still provide handy back up for another year in the event of major injury. Id be happy to see them do that from the rookie list if it gives us access to better younger talent in the ND over the RD.
Good list management can be many things but moving two players onto the rookie list for no apparent reason isn't one of them.

If anybody should be moved to the rookie list it should be someone like Kobe Mutch.

Good list management can be many things but moving two players onto the rookie list for no apparent reason isn't one of them.

If anybody should be moved to the rookie list it should be someone like Kobe Mutch.
There is a reason though. The players being moved are on more money than a draftee and are only depth anyway. And moving those players gives you an earlier look at young talent rather than hoping some players are available in the rookir draft.

There is a reason though. The players being moved are on more money than a draftee and are only depth anyway. And moving those players gives you an earlier look at young talent rather than hoping some players are available in the rookir draft.
Sorry, an inane reason. Two players that have been good role players for 4 years don't really need to be moved? You move guys who've been on the list for 3/4 years for * all games like Mutch rather than someone like Mitch Brown.

Sorry, an inane reason. Two players that have been good role players for 4 years don't really need to be moved? You move guys who've been on the list for 3/4 years for fu** all games like Mutch rather than someone like Mitch Brown.
What is the disadvantage of having Hartley/Brown/Mutch on the rookie list if it gives you earlier access at young talent?

What is the disadvantage of having Hartley/Brown/Mutch on the rookie list if it gives you earlier access at young talent?
Brown has played, what, 8 games in the VFL the past 2 years? What's the point of having one of your first 28 on the rookie list? Mutch I can see a reason, Hartley maybe, but Brown? No real reason.

Brown has played, what, 8 games in the VFL the past 2 years? What's the point of having one of your first 28 on the rookie list? Mutch I can see a reason, Hartley maybe, but Brown? No real reason.
Great, so you can see a reason to move players to the rookie list to allow us to use more than 2 ND picks? We now agree on that i think. The point of having Brown on the rookie list would be to free up his cash, he can play his depth role from that list in exactly the same way as he has been from the main list. There is no disadvantge i can see. If its Mutch instead so be it.

Brown has rarely played VFL when fully fit, can't see how he gets demoted to the rookie list let alone delisted.

Everyone is assuming that just because Daniher is staying he's suddenly going to be fully fit all 2020, disregarding we've had major injury issues with our talls the last two seasons, with Brown one of the only KPFs to have been available regularly.

I don't see how taking pick 65 in the ND is any better than a rookie selection, certainly not going to give us any salary cap relief.

Hartley however might be arguable, but Hooker is barely mobile these days so I can see him playing games in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back