Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy Parish to receive an invitation to the Draft Camp - He's no certainty to be drafted.

Be very surprised if Rayner is number one draft pick - For me he is a 6 to 10 player.

Darcy's already at Essendon.

You mean Cassidy Parish?

Petrucelle is very much the player you pick on potential as his upside is enormous - Has enough attributes but him understanding his game will be an issue.
Kavanagh was a similar type wasn't he? Not sure I'd pick a player exclusively on potential inside the first round (we've seen first hand how that's turned out in the past). Second round maybe but even then it seems high for someone that's a work in progress and a supposedly iffy kick.

I'll defer to D_P_S opinion on him though.

Kavanagh was a similar type wasn't he? Not sure I'd pick a player exclusively on potential inside the first round (we've seen first hand how that's turned out in the past). Second round maybe but even then it seems high for someone that's a work in progress and a supposedly iffy kick.

Kavanagh was a completely different different type of player - A pure midfielder with good skills,game awareness and decent endurance, though he had an injury-interrupted final year.

Kavanagh was a completely different different type of player - A pure midfielder with good skills,game awareness and decent endurance, though he had an injury-interrupted final year.
Fair enough. From the look of a few descriptions it seems like Petrucelle is kind of under-weight (will probably need to add another 10 kg before he could compete physically at AFL level). Maybe worth a look in the 2nd round, wouldn't touch him in the first round.

Fair enough. From the look of a few descriptions it seems like Petrucelle is kind of under-weight (will probably need to add another 10 kg before he could compete physically at AFL level). Maybe worth a look in the 2nd round, wouldn't touch him in the first round.

My guess is he may go late first round - Question is will he be a midfielder ?

My guess is he may go late first round - Question is will he be a midfielder ?
He's listed as an inside mid, but seems too light to play that role at AFL level for a while (adding 10 kg will no doubt diminish his speed). And from the sounds of it his kicking is like Colyer's (i.e. butchers it when he tries to kick on the run).

If we end up with a pick in the 10-12 range, I'll be hoping that one of D.Fogarty, Brander or Hayes slip to us. Failing that I'm not really sure who I'd want.

Fogarty would be my number 1 target though, seems like he's the most talented of this crop.

He's listed as an inside mid, but seems too light to play that role at AFL level for a while (adding 10 kg will no doubt diminish his speed). And from the sounds of it his kicking is like Colyer's (i.e. butchers it when he tries to kick on the run).

If we end up with a pick in the 10-12 range, I'll be hoping that one of D.Fogarty, Brander or Hayes slip to us. Failing that I'm not really sure who I'd want.

Fogarty would be my number 1 target though, seems like he's the most talented of this crop.
Fogarty would be an absolute dream. Will probably go top five though.

yaco55 is right that he has huge potential but unless im a team that can afford to take the risk I wouldn't take him in the 1st round. He can have a big game one week and hardly touch it the next. He is a work in progress and he looks set to be a forward at AFL level with his leap and elite speed. Kicking and footy smarts are his other drawbacks but he is from a basketball background so a club could improve both those things. Like I wouldn't complain if he went in the 1st round but personally id take a safer option with plenty like James Worpel and Andrew Brayshaw as consistent midfielders in that range.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/3783a478df2e14c6c8ad97a6bdaa20e3

Rayner apparently a "Martin type" that North might get with their pick if they don't trade it to GWS for Kelly. That's one way of getting "Martin" I suppose.

Sutherland is the son of Cricket Australia's chief executive and will probably get a rookie contract at the renegades, where his sister plays. Explains why he can be fairly confident of a career in cricket at any rate.

GWS' first round pick will be penalised before the trade period, so it affects their original pick rather than any picks that they might trade in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often do they still go top of their draft class if they're injured through the end of the season?
Depends on the player, Simpkin missed nearly the whole year last year and still went at pick 12. I doubt Fogarty slides that far but ill be more than happy if he lasts to us.

Fogarty's year and prospects remind me a little of both Curnow and Francis.

He's shown that he's seriously gifted, but also hasn't quite put everything together and torn games apart, like Francis. He's also now got himself injured so his body of work going into the draft isn't going to be as big as everyone elses, and there are question marks over how to best use him, like Curnow.

I doubt he's a full on midfielder at the next level, reckon he's a bigger, slower Laverde

He's shown that he's seriously gifted, but also hasn't quite put everything together and torn games apart, like Francis. He's also now got himself injured so his body of work going into the draft isn't going to be as big as everyone elses, and there are question marks over how to best use him, like Curnow.

I doubt he's a full on midfielder at the next level, reckon he's a bigger, slower Laverde
He (Fogarty) could become our version of Fyfe/Cripps/Bontempelli if we got him. Already has the size to play, he's just gotta work on his tank a little bit to become a permanent mid.

Isn't he more Jake Stringer?

Isn't he more Jake Stringer?
Sure, both undersized mobile full forwards that can run around in the middle a little bit
From what I can tell Fogarty would be more likely to become a mid than Stringer. Likes the contested stuff a lot more, while Stringer certainly has x-factor but can tend to play with minimal effort and shy away from contact.

Depends on the player, Simpkin missed nearly the whole year last year and still went at pick 12. I doubt Fogarty slides that far but ill be more than happy if he lasts to us.
I obviously don't know as much about Fogarty as you do, but with
Francis, laverde and Langford all drafted in the 1st round in the last 3 years and seem to be similar types of players to Fogarty; can we spend another first round on a 6'3" utility?
Wouldn't a pure mid be a better use of the pick?

I obviously don't know as much about Fogarty as you do, but with
Francis, laverde and Langford all drafted in the 1st round in the last years and seem to be similar types of players to Fogarty.
can we spend another first round on a 6'3" utility?
Wouldn't a pure mid be a better use of the pick?
Fogarty is bigger than all 3 and an elite kick. I love all 3 of those guys but I think Fogarty can be better than all 3. The thing with Fogarty is he has incredible ability for his size and he can evade tacklers with ease and he is near impossible to take down in a tackle. He did some impressive work late in the season last year in Glenelgs midfield and if he hadn't got injured I think he would have spent more time in there.

I've posted some videos here but if you can go watch his videos on YouTube and you will see what I mean and what makes him different to those 3 guys.

This game he had 31 disposals, 8 marks, 5 clearances and 2 goals

Oh wow the year before that he kicked 10 goals in a game. He played 3 games that year and kicked 19 goals
Well he is certainly the profile of player our recruiting staff like.

Dodoro seems to really like 6'2"-6'3ish types that play as elite utilities in juniors and trying to develop them into a certain spot.

Francis, laverde, Langford, Gleeson, Ridley, Begley and even Ambrose just in the last few years. Fogarty definitely fits the profile.

Fogarty is bigger than all 3 and an elite kick. I love all 3 of those guys but I think Fogarty can be better than all 3. The thing with Fogarty is he has incredible ability for his size and he can evade tacklers with ease and he is near impossible to take down in a tackle. He did some impressive work late in the season last year in Glenelgs midfield and if he hadn't got injured I think he would have spent more time in there.

I've posted some videos here but if you can go watch his videos on YouTube and you will see what I mean and what makes him different to those 3 guys.

This game he had 31 disposals, 8 marks, 5 clearances and 2 goals

Here's to hoping that he has some 'character' issues and has no desire to head interstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back