Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyron Hayden has really grown on me over the past couple of months, in my top handful of preferences for 48. Also hope we take a chance on Matt Guelfi later on, he has way too many weapons to not be on an AFL list. Would take the best available KPP in between them.

Im a huge Matt Guelfi fan. Big body for a 19 year old (184cm, 80kg now) who can win his own footy but also be an option on the outside. Love the fact he can push forward and be a threat in attack (20.12 from 19 games) is good, whilst also being tough around the ball (3+ tackles a game).

Would think he doesn't make it to the rookie draft but would happily take him with our second pick (67 iirc)

Im a huge Matt Guelfi fan. Big body for a 19 year old (184cm, 80kg now) who can win his own footy but also be an option on the outside. Love the fact he can push forward and be a threat in attack (20.12 from 19 games) is good, whilst also being tough around the ball (3+ tackles a game).

Would think he doesn't make it to the rookie draft but would happily take him with our second pick (67 iirc)
He tested really well. Got the tank to play a midfield role, has the speed and agility to play forward or back. I wonder if he will make it to our 2nd pick though, it sounds like Port are into every promising state league player and have 4 picks between ours.

Ouch. He is the sort of player that a team might think has untapped potential. Could go earlier than expected.

Last year there was plenty of talk of Begley being drafted in the 40s and Sean Darcy going very late. Both fridges went earlier than expected and are on track to be very good players.
That's why you never pay attention to anything right up until a day or two before the draft lol, the last minute info is almost always the most accurate.

As for Begley, D_P_S was saying for a good portion of last year that we were a big wrap for him. There were also rumours that if we waited any longer he'd be snapped up by another club before our next pick, so no suprise at all that we picked him when we did. What was more shocking was that Mutch and Clarke lasted as long as they did, last years crop could turn out to be our best one to date as all 5 guys could be best 22 before long.

That's why you never pay attention to anything right up until a day or two before the draft lol, the last minute info is almost always the most accurate.

As for Begley, D_P_S was saying for a good portion of last year that we were a big wrap for him. There were also rumours that if we waited any longer he'd be snapped up by another club before our next pick, so no suprise at all that we picked him when we did. What was more shocking was that Mutch and Clarke lasted as long as they did, last years crop could turn out to be our best one to date as all 5 guys could be best 22 before long.
I am really interested to see how they respond to a full pre-season. They were eased in this year, should be ready to go next year.

I am really interested to see how they respond to a full pre-season. They were eased in this year, should be ready to go next year.
I think we'll see all of them play at varying stages next year, with McGrath obviously already a lock on a wing (which for mine means the likes of Colyer and Green are now just depth).

If Gleeson has a form slump then Ridley will have to be seriously considered for that role, and I'd like Goddard to take him under his wing in hopes that we develop him into a similar type of player (i.e. genuine utility).

I think we'll see all of them play at varying stages next year, with McGrath obviously already a lock on a wing (which for mine means the likes of Colyer and Green are now just depth).

If Gleeson has a form slump then Ridley will have to be seriously considered for that role, and I'd like Goddard to take him under his wing in hopes that we develop him into a similar type of player (i.e. genuine utility).
I really hope Gleeson doesn't slump or regress. I am starting to think that flexible medium defenders are going to be super important going forward.

Forward set-ups are getting really diverse. Some teams are going extra tall such as Adelaide (Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and McGovern) while others are going smaller than traditional. We need some players who can defend smalls and talls while being capable of rebounding against strong pressure. I hope Gleeson and Ridley help to give us that flexibility in the back half.

I really hope Gleeson doesn't slump or regress. I am starting to think that flexible medium defenders are going to be super important going forward.

Forward set-ups are getting really diverse. Some teams are going extra tall such as Adelaide (Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and McGovern) while others are going smaller than traditional. We need some players who can defend smalls and talls while being capable of rebounding against strong pressure. I hope Gleeson and Ridley help to give us that flexibility in the back half.
I don't think he will but I can see him stagnating, after all it's taken him 5 years to become a "solid" player at AFL level. I'm not sure how much improvement he has left in him from both a physical and production stand point.

It'll all come down to the sort of role we want Ridley to play, if it's as an intercepting half-back (which I think is the most likely outcome) then I can't see Gleeson keeping him out for long, especially if Francis takes that 3rd tall defender spot.

I like Kyron as an option. Quality player being held back by his lack of tank.

Here are his combine results I got off Bishop:
20m - 3.03s (above average)
Agility - 8.38s (above average)
Yo-Yo - 20.6 (below average)

Being 87kg probably has something to do with it so it will be interesting to see how much he can improve his tank in an AFL system.
I'm never really sure how to interpret combine results. On one hand they show untapped potential for growth but they can also be very misleading i.e. Shipley with a 2.97 20m sprint, just 0.02 slower than Stephenson. I prefer to back in the eye test tbh.

The thing for me that whilst he's 20 years old, he's managed to improve every single year, with him really excelling in that half-forward role in 2017. His attributes are insane (elite agility, 60m kick, overhead marking, aggression, 2nd efforts) really set him apart from other inside mids around the mark. Hard to believe he wasn't drafted last year after his champs where I referred to him as 'the barometer' given his impact on the WA midfield unit.

Haven't heard much about him this year in regards to the draft, maybe one of the phantom drafters (KM, Bishop) would know something?
Genuine intrest from us, Eagles and Freo keen on him before our pick though
Maybe they could take him and let Starcevich fall through :D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what's the story with Ned Reeves?

I had a quick look at the draft machine and clicked on the rucks and noticed that there was a 208cm kid. Had a look at his highlights expecting to see why it was so evident that I had not even heard his named mentioned but his highlights package is better than Hayes'.

Not saying for a second that Reeves should be considered in Hayes' league but with most guys well over 200cm surely all that you look at is general movement, coordination and the big man attributes like throwing weight around and contested marking. Reeves' highlights couldn't have sold him more.

Only the freaks are good players who can have a sustained impact on games at that age.

Surely gets onto a list, doesn't he?

I really like the look of this bloke. Should still be available around the 45-50 pick mark.

Watch "Matthew Day highlights - 2017 draft prospect" on YouTube

Me too.
Doesn't get heaps of the ball but from what i've seen he has great poise, tough, makes good decisions with solid disposal.
Still learning the game though but heaps to work with.

So what's the story with Ned Reeves?

I had a quick look at the draft machine and clicked on the rucks and noticed that there was a 208cm kid. Had a look at his highlights expecting to see why it was so evident that I had not even heard his named mentioned but his highlights package is better than Hayes'.

Not saying for a second that Reeves should be considered in Hayes' league but with most guys well over 200cm surely all that you look at is general movement, coordination and the big man attributes like throwing weight around and contested marking. Reeves' highlights couldn't have sold him more.

Only the freaks are good players who can have a sustained impact on games at that age.

Surely gets onto a list, doesn't he?
Got a combine invite and played in the All-Stars game so he that shows clubs are very interested. I think he will go in the rookie draft, a club that needs a developing ruck should go after him.

I really like the look of this bloke. Should still be available around the 45-50 pick mark.

Watch "Matthew Day highlights - 2017 draft prospect" on YouTube

Apparently new to the game too. So plenty of upside.

Got a combine invite and played in the All-Stars game so he that shows clubs are very interested. I think he will go in the rookie draft, a club that needs a developing ruck should go after him.

The fault could lie with me, I just dont recall seeing the name mentioned even before we signed Lavender as a potential option.

I like Kyron as an option. Quality player being held back by his lack of tank.

Here are his combine results I got off Bishop:
20m - 3.03s (above average)
Agility - 8.38s (above average)
Yo-Yo - 20.6 (below average)

Being 87kg probably has something to do with it so it will be interesting to see how much he can improve his tank in an AFL system.
3.03s is pretty slow for 20m, certainly not above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back