Analysis Drugs in Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

....and Nick Maxwell was the one who first mentioned it on SEN the other day.....he was disgusted, and said the AFL has got to change their policies etc.

Again, my opinion is it's either the drugs or a career, not both..........and then name them. Players must choose..

Time to stop tip-toeing around the problem.

Collingwood drugs scandal: Pies failed drugs tests
Herald Sun‎ - 21 mins ago
A QUARTER of Collingwood's playing list recorded positive tests to illicit drugs over summer.
i am probably in the minority here but if the drugs taken are not performance enhancing eg. weed. i have no problem with it if it is done in the off season and does not affect their ability to train and turn up at the start of pre season training in the expected condition.
i am for the decriminalization/legalization of "recreational drugs".

i am probably in the minority here but if the drugs taken are not performance enhancing eg. weed. i have no problem with it if it is done in the off season and does not affect their ability to train and turn up at the start of pre season training in the expected condition.
i am for the decriminalization/legalization of "recreational drugs".

Same. Decriminalisation makes logical sense in medical, economic, criminal justice and public policy terms.

The current war on drugs is an absolute failure because we as a society fund both sides. When you step back and look at it, it is insanely self-defeating. Far too many people are too emotional about it to really analyse how all the pieces come together though.

Maybe when the baby boomers shuffle off this mortal coil we will look at it more sensibly.

Last edited:
Same. Makes logical sense in medical, economic, criminal justice and public policy terms.

The current war on drugs is an absolute failure because we fund both sides. When you step back and look at it, it is insanely self-defeating.
spot on. i started a thread on this a few months ago on the society religion and politics board.

Yep, agreed. To be honest most recreational drugs cannot be positive for your professional sports career and it would be interesting if they were managed the same way as skinfolds or a failure to stick to a recovery program.

Yep. Treat people like adults and offer them a modicum of responsibility and funnily enough the world doesn't fall apart. In fact, most countries that do implement decriminalization see a reduction in crime and drug related hospitalisations. I guess when cops aren't being wasted chasing down dime bags and kids with a couple of pills they can actually utilise their work force in meaningful ways. And billions are saved when every wasted cent spent on an expensive war that can't be won that is instead invested in the education of responsible use and addiction programs.

No thanks.

Let's compare tobacco to illicit substances as both are essentially causing harm to the user and those closest to the user. The war on tobacco has taken a generation and the results are great considering where we started from with smoking rates at all time lows almost worldwide... some of the reasons is the fact that tobacco use has been shunned and hidden in main stream media and the general education about the effects it has on society has been promoted to the youth. If we start legalising and allowing illicit drug use among our heroes/idols/role models were does that leave us? Back to the 1940s where promotion of tobacco was everywhere and everyone was taking it up as it was what their heroes/idols/role models were doing, just replace tobacco with illicit drugs... you get the idea. History repeating itself although with far worse outcomes.

We should be slamming these players, not allowing them to take these substances and be hidden behind the AFL iron wall that is the 3 strike policy.

Live magpie on game day. Unlikely to get support.
Yeah, well, painting an emu black and white in an attempt to get a more impressive bird on the field was bound to backfire. Especially after it met Swanny's live lion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth are they even allowed more than one chance? You do drugs you don't play. Is it that hard? You knowingly choose the sport to play, in which has also chosen to follow a globally recognised drug authority which has strict codes and rules. If you don't want to play drug free maybe play local park footy with your druggy mates. Why we make so many allowances it's not funny.

Why on earth are they even allowed more than one chance? You do drugs you don't play. Is it that hard? You knowingly choose the sport to play, in which has also chosen to follow a globally recognised drug authority which has strict codes and rules. If you don't want to play drug free maybe play local park footy with your druggy mates. Why we make so many allowances it's not funny.

Automatically lumping recreational drugs in with performance enhancing drugs on the basis of the word "drugs" alone isn't very sensible. May as well lump paracetamol in there, or alcohol, or caffeine.

Last edited:
It's not difficult, it's a straight choice. Take drugs or play AFL. I know which one I would choose.

Anyone who thinks anything else is over-complicating what is actually a very simple issue.

Whether you want to decriminalise some of these substances is a moot point, they are currently illegal and morally (unless medicinal) detrimental to the wider community, particularly young impressionable fans.

I'm a parent, and in no way, shape or form do I want any Lion player taking drugs recreationally and making an impression on my boys. Drugs are not ok under any circumstances unless medicinal. Not difficult.

This video is well worth a watch.

Seems to have been a shift in Leppa's messaging in line with the new season. In previous years he has been very pragmatic about where we were in our list build, talking about the large number of changes to the list, the young age profile etc but it seems like he has elevated expectations this year.

He is obviously still acknowledging that we are young (because we are) but is seemingly adamant that we now have the overwhelming bulk of our next finals squad on our list now and from this year onwards we can expect clear progression and growth towards what we want to become. No more taking a step backwards in order to go forwards.

I know the board here is split on the merits of his contract extension but I think everyone on either side of that fence will be pleased to hear him talk this way. Quite refreshing.

I suspect there will be a little less kisses and cuddles in his post-match pressers for players that don't perform to expectation. Very much a "time to deliver" vibe.

Good analysis of a video. You are very clever at analysing videos that mean nothing.

I'm a parent, and in no way, shape or form do I want any Lion player taking drugs recreationally and making an impression on my boys.

I don't think anyone here is saying they want Lions players to take drugs. I hope they aren't.

I, and others are just saying that they don't think it's the AFL's role to impose punishments from what all current best evidence suggests should be treated as a medical/health issue. If you can get past the "drugs are bad because they are illegal" mindset (with all its inherent contradictions) you will probably see punishing someone for drug abuse is about as rational as punishing someone for getting an eating disorder.

And speaking as a fellow parent, I hope that if my son ever gets afflicted by drug addiction, he is given medical assistance rather than treated as a social pariah and thrown on the scrap heap by his employer.

The mass incarceration of drug users in America is a model to the world. *rolleyes*

Drugs are not ok under any circumstances unless medicinal. Not difficult.

Is alcohol medicinal?

Last edited:
I don't think anyone here is saying they want Lions players to take drugs. They are just saying that they don't think it's the AFL's role to impose punishments from what all current best evidence suggests should be treated as a medical/health issue.

And speaking as a fellow parent, I hope that if my son ever gets afflicted by drug addiction, he is given medical assistance rather than treated as a social pariah and thrown on the scrap heap by his employer.
Absolutely agree with this part, but I don't think you can be allowed to continue to play AFL at the same time. We all know that no one is perfect and people will make mistakes, but there do need to be consequences for those mistakes. Taking recreational drugs is a choice, even if it leads to addiction (which as you say becomes a medical/health issue that requires treatment) it is still caused by a choice that player made in the first instance, and by making the wrong choice a player needs to be held accountable. Just because a player is held accountable, doesn't mean they need to be made a social pariah.

The whole conversation with a doctor and a donation is beyond a joke quite frankly. The fact that players openly admit to not seeing any real consequences from taking recreational drugs during the off-season is proof enough that the current system is ineffective.

It's not difficult, it's a straight choice. Take drugs or play AFL. I know which one I would choose.

Anyone who thinks anything else is over-complicating what is actually a very simple issue.

Whether you want to decriminalise some of these substances is a moot point, they are currently illegal and morally (unless medicinal) detrimental to the wider community, particularly young impressionable fans.

I'm a parent, and in no way, shape or form do I want any Lion player taking drugs recreationally and making an impression on my boys. Drugs are not ok under any circumstances unless medicinal. Not difficult.
Australia has one of the highest rates of recreational drug use in the world, so a lot of AFL players would be using recreational drugs at least occasionally no matter what they were doing. So... of course there are Lions players who use recreational drugs. That doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother you.
You aren't going to stop people from using recreational drugs. All we can do is educate people, make it safer and try to ensure that people use less harmful drugs.
Absolutely agree with this part, but I don't think you can be allowed to continue to play AFL at the same time. We all know that no one is perfect and people will make mistakes, but there do need to be consequences for those mistakes. Taking recreational drugs is a choice, even if it leads to addiction (which as you say becomes a medical/health issue that requires treatment) it is still caused by a choice that player made in the first instance, and by making the wrong choice a player needs to be held accountable. Just because a player is held accountable, doesn't mean they need to be made a social pariah.

The whole conversation with a doctor and a donation is beyond a joke quite frankly. The fact that players openly admit to not seeing any real consequences from taking recreational drugs during the off-season is proof enough that the current system is ineffective.
Works pretty well for the NFL. Domestic violence and other issues- not a priority, they're busy clamping down on players who are partial to the occasional joint.

The players get paid big money to be role models on and off the field.

Taking drugs is illegal. Hence, if they are taking drugs, they aren't doing their job and should lose their job.

Legalizing drugs is a step backwards for society in my opinion. People are using the same logic that Americans use for their gun laws. Beggars belief that people think it is a valid argument:confused:

People are using the same logic that Americans use for their gun laws. Beggars belief that people think it is a valid argument:confused:

Are they?

*Reads previous page looking for posts saying that the constitution guarantees people the right to bear drugs to ensure the security of the free state and protect themselves from a tyrannical government and/or the British Empire*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back