Toast All-Australian Lions in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Players don’t actually think like this.

I like to think that players do think like this. It has got to sting a bit to not have your efforts acknowledged and generally speaking athletes are competitive beasts so I'm sure that pride is an influence in performance.

That is a fairly broad claim to make. Are you sure that there are no performances that are not, at least in part, motivated by pride?
I would say that they are motivated partly from within, and partly from those around the club, who most likely set them various benchmarks etc and assess them on whether those are met. I'd be very surprised (and a bit concerned actually) if they placed any store in what a bunch of talking heads in Melbourne think of them.

I would say that they are motivated partly from within, and partly from those around the club, who most likely set them various benchmarks etc and assess them on whether those are met. I'd be very surprised (and a bit concerned actually) if they placed any store in what a bunch of talking heads in Melbourne think of them.
Yep, personal awards are only good for gloating post career.

I would hazard a guess that the thought of/hoping to win a Brownlow would not even enter Lachie Neale's mind.

Team success and Premierships are way way in front as a motivation for a player as compared to individual awards.

I'd go back to what Noble said about the Lions being a team that plays on emotion. I take that to mean that they responded to emotional cues and that was reflected in their performances. Whether those cues were internal, external or a bit of both I wouldnt know. It is too broad an argument to say that every player is motivated by the same things.

Yep, personal awards are only good for gloating post career.

I would hazard a guess that the thought of/hoping to win a Brownlow would not even enter Lachie Neale's mind.

Team success and Premierships are way way in front as a motivation for a player as compared to individual awards.
As a very wise poster on this board would say, agree to disagree. Lachie Neale never hoped to win a Brownlow? Come on now. Pretty wild guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back