Analysis Drugs in Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

It's like someone thought "what number do I associate with Brisbane? 3? Too low! 16? JB's old number? Perfect!"

Maybe this is why our players seem to be constantly injured. Drug strikes. Matho cheek injury - drug strike, Beamsy - 2nd strike.

Ignoring the potential "ladder" and the debate in here about recreational drugs in general.... going specifically to Collingwood.

The team lost two players (Keefe and Thomas) less than 1 year ago for taking Performance Enhancing Drugs. I think it's been outlined that what they actually took were Recreational Drugs, which were "cut" with a drug on the PED WADA list. My understanding is that is it a reasonably common occurrence in relation to the specific Rec Drug they took - ie. it is common for it to be cut with the PED. I understand a Rugby League player was banned in very very similar circumstances a couple of years prior, using the same Rec Drug cut with a PED.

So let's get this straight - the guys took Rec Drugs, were unaware of the contents, and the contents also contained PED's, and it has stuffed their career in the short term, potential stuffed it permanently in the longer term.

Now allegedly the Pies list extends to somewhere between 11-20 or so players who have not passed the hair test or admitted to a strike or the like. I seriously can not believe it. Unless those guys were "just" smoking dope, and not consuming other drugs where they don't know the purity (ie. has it been cut? has it been cut with a PED?), then we're talking about some seriously dumb people here.

After what happened last year ago to the Pies guys, and the RL player, I can't comprehend how stupid you'd have to be as a professional athlete, paid a bucket load of money, to take drugs where you don't know what is contained in it, where history has shown that it may also contain anything - including PED's.

Surely the Pies players, and every other player in the AFL for that matter, must have been somewhat scared after what happened to Keefe and Thomas - and those continuing to take Rec Drugs from a similar "family" to what caught out Keefe and Thomas, are plain stupid.

If any of our guys get done for something similar, after what happened last year, I'll be filthy.

Maybe this is why our players seem to be constantly injured. Drug strikes. Matho cheek injury - drug strike, Beamsy - 2nd strike.

So what you're saying is Burton was just a patsy. It all makes sense now.

I never understood why the Pies players would take Ecstasy which is like $10-15 a pill... I thought cocaine was the go to drug for people with a bit of side cash. SMH

Significantly less likely to get in a fight on the former.

zraJObm.jpg

BigFooty at its finest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back