Dustin Martin....hmmm, would we allow tats at AFC?

Dustin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon with Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood supposedly pulling out of the race for Martin that he's entering squeaky bum time right about now. If GWS don't ante up then he could run out of options very quickly.

Even if he did go crawling back to Richmond their offer would surely be reduced 10% or so compared to previously ($500k p.a.) - on principal alone let alone if they now reallocate those funds to Conca and others.

I wonder if there is an opportunity for another club like us to swoop in with an offer that's ~$550K and nab Martin on terms that are not unreasonable for us (assuming we can fit in him and Betts without too much collateral damage).

How we go about trading with Richmond to achieve it is another question! Surely we still have some store credit after the Maric and Tambling deals :)

GWS are out! Now or never for an 11th hour swoop in offer Crows...

If we don't make a play for him then we are negligent in our planning. The club is always raving about how strong our culture is, how exceptional our leadership group is, if we really believe that then we should make every effort to recruit a player like Martin, who's highly talented but has some maturity issues and has been poorly advised by his manager.

If we don't make a play for him then we are negligent in our planning. The club is always raving about how strong our culture is, how exceptional our leadership group is, if we really believe that then we should make every effort to recruit a player like Martin, who's highly talented but has some maturity issues and has been poorly advised by his manager.

Mate, it's not like we are going to come out that our culture is shithouse and our leadership group cannot lead us out of the phone box. Every club will talk up their culture and leadership group.

I think part of the thing here is that I am not sure that our leadership group would want Martin. What if Noble goes yes and the leadership group says hell no?!

I am sure we would have done our due diligence on this and done the background checks. It is a little bit concerning that GWS had Dustin over at the headquarters and showing him around, trying to impress him and said No the very next day. Something stinks here.

He is too big a talent for Richmond to just give up on him as easily as they did. That tells me there is a lot more to this kid that is not public knowledge. Clubs do not walk away from such talent that easily. They made him a pretty good offer then rescinded it. That's pretty big stuff.

I wonder if the fact Martin is not feeling the love will sink in that he needs to get his s**t together? The club that does pick him up may benefit from it.

I say * it and go for it. Its not as if Richmond were in the news for off field incidents. They seem to be running smoothly, except for the choke but that's one thing we have in common.

Betts, Polec and Martin, now that improves our side immensley, especially Betts and Martin who are proven. With our drafting restrictions we need to be bold, take a punt or we can be happy with mediocrity.

Mate, it's not like we are going to come out that our culture is shithouse and our leadership group cannot lead us out of the phone box. Every club will talk up their culture and leadership group.

I think part of the thing here is that I am not sure that our leadership group would want Martin. What if Noble goes yes and the leadership group says hell no?!

I am sure we would have done our due diligence on this and done the background checks. It is a little bit concerning that GWS had Dustin over at the headquarters and showing him around, trying to impress him and said No the very next day. Something stinks here.

He is too big a talent for Richmond to just give up on him as easily as they did. That tells me there is a lot more to this kid that is not public knowledge. Clubs do not walk away from such talent that easily. They made him a pretty good offer then rescinded it. That's pretty big stuff.
He has basically been baby sat by Choco for the entire season. Anyone taking him on will need an assistant of his calibre available to oversee his every move. Is anyone really surprised clubs are balking?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not change the goalposts... My point has been that we have an average list and that we cannot compete with the top teams as evidenced by our 2-8 records against top 4 teams in 2012/2013.

In 2012 - we were 1-4 against Sydney/Hawks/Collingwood.
In 2013 - we were 1-4 against Freo/Geelong/Hawthorn/Sydney.

My assessment of our list is that its not very good. It was made to appear better than it was in 2012 by a dream run with injuries, a soft draw, and the Sando Spike. We then lost Tippett and received nothing for him. So yes our list has gone backwards in that regard.

The reason we should go after Martin is because he is the best player available (next to Buddy). We need more talent. Obviously you think our list is in great shape because we competed with Freo in 2012 and beat Geelong, but i think to be a premiership threat we need a lot more talent.

I would love for you to be right...

I would like to know just when / where you are going to account for the age of our list in these assessments that say its not very good.

Semantics.

Doesn't change his point. So its acceptable for Betts to leave Carlton and demand more money elsewhere (even after Carlton have looked after him on and off the field) because he is more settled? But because Martin/Tippett are less 'settled' they do not have a right to demand more money?

He is the one calling Martin / Tippett Mercenaries - yet when it comes to recruiting Betts its fine because he has a wife and young kid to worry about.

Horseshit

easy tiger, calm down please and you might find you understand a bit more.

He has EVERY right.
It's just less likely clubs will give him what he wants given there is a perception he is less settled.

Can you not separate that?

s**t - our club goes out of its way to try and recruit kids with good backgrounds as we believe they are ultimately more likely to adjust to the demands of AFL football better (with ongoing stability and performance). It was a key issue that Rendell was trying to find solutions to for kids from remote rural areas that ended up getting him accused of racism and fired. So its obviously a BIG issue that club recruiters and footy departments think about alot.

Now - we dusty I'd advocate doing the due diligence. Because it should definitely be a risk based decision and the rewards could, as you keep banging on about, be very very high.

I said maybe on the poll. YOu'd want to do the due diligence but it could be very worthwhile. What's killing Dusty at the moment is that it seems many clubs doing the due diligence are backing away. But that just could be media bs.

I heard a call on SEN this morning that indicated his Dad lives in Sydney and given he came from a broken home and had a rough upbringing that he might just be seeking to go 'home'. For lots of $$$$. Kinda like Kurt ;)

I would like to know just when / where you are going to account for the age of our list in these assessments that say its not very good.

A young list does not mean a good list. Melbourne have had one of the youngest lists for the past 5 years.

http://afl.allthestats.com/?itm=111331

In 2013 we had the 11th youngest list (out of 18) so about middle of the road.

Btw It wasn't Betts replaces Tippett...... Betts replaces the goals we lose from Tippett. Look at the historical goal kicking figures.

And it is not semantics.

The argument to get Martin was originally framed with the urgency of "we are not competitive". That isn't right and that's when the goal posts shifted.

I disagree that throwing everything at Martin will fix our problems.

So you agree we have problems that need to be fixed?

easy tiger, calm down please and you might find you understand a bit more.

He has EVERY right.
It's just less likely clubs will give him what he wants given there is a perception he is less settled.

Can you not separate that?

s**t - our club goes out of its way to try and recruit kids with good backgrounds as we believe they are ultimately more likely to adjust to the demands of AFL football better (with ongoing stability and performance). It was a key issue that Rendell was trying to find solutions to for kids from remote rural areas that ended up getting him accused of racism and fired. So its obviously a BIG issue that club recruiters and footy departments think about alot.

Now - we dusty I'd advocate doing the due diligence. Because it should definitely be a risk based decision and the rewards could, as you keep banging on about, be very very high.

I said maybe on the poll. YOu'd want to do the due diligence but it could be very worthwhile. What's killing Dusty at the moment is that it seems many clubs doing the due diligence are backing away. But that just could be media bs.

I heard a call on SEN this morning that indicated his Dad lives in Sydney and given he came from a broken home and had a rough upbringing that he might just be seeking to go 'home'. For lots of $$$$. Kinda like Kurt ;)

Thanks mate - have calmed down considerably due to your condescending first line.

There is no doubt that Martin's wage might be diminished due to his immaturity. Its every clubs right to pay him less because they will take a bigger risk than recruiting a player like Sloane. I am not disputing that nor would I have no problem with us turning down Martin if there were too many big red flag and the risk was too big. This isn't the issue I am referring to.

What I called Bicks out on was the fact that he called players like Tippett / Martin as money hungry mercenary's with no loyalty. He then supports us bringing in Eddie Betts. This is pure hypocrisy.

He has basically been baby sat by Choco for the entire season. Anyone taking him on will need an assistant of his calibre available to oversee his every move. Is anyone really surprised clubs are balking?
And living with club president Garry March, Cotchin and Choco babysitting at the club etc, this kid ain't high maintenance, he's a full time job for a team of minders. Clubs are obviously finding he has the "Kevin Rudd" air about him once they meet him "loved by those that don't know him, disliked by those that do"....

Back