Toast dylan grimes well done

Remove this Banner Ad

hardball01

Debutant
May 4, 2008
moonee ponds
AFL Club
Richmond
the man on the weekend racked up 14 1% 6 more than the player who had the second amount of one percenters on the ground.

for the season, mind you, he came in at round 3, he has 69, mcguane is second with a total of 36.

in the AFL he is ranked second with only daniel merret above him.

it is fantastic to see this boy come into the team, and sacrifice his game for the greater good of other players.

we have seen other players in the backline flourish due to his presence, alex rance in particular, even newy and deledio are playing really well.

does not find the footy as much as his brother does, but he has a dustin fletcher like ability to stretch out his arm, even if he is physically outbodied, to get hand to ball with those 'inspector gadget like arms'

well done dylan grimes, you very much deserve a spot in our backline and for years to come

also, its a credit to the recruiting team, to take a punt on this kid.:thumbsu:

That is a really impressive stat for such a young player in only a handful of games.

With Dyl playing so well, I must admit to being a doubter earlier on, I wonder where that would leave Moore. They are both 3rd tall types, with Moore offering more attack but I wouldnt drop a kid who is doing nothing wrong either.

Yes, been doing very well.
The defensive group has and is a very dynamic group at the moment. Dynamic as in when we think there is a group settling in and being consistent, things happen and then it reforms a different way. If you had of asked me at the start of the year if Grimes Rance and MacGuane would have been playing the defensive talls in a winning team, i would have said no.
Also Rance has acknowledge in an interview that he has had to curb his natural rebounding style, to play a tighter one.

That is a really impressive stat for such a young player in only a handful of games.

With Dyl playing so well, I must admit to being a doubter earlier on, I wonder where that would leave Moore. They are both 3rd tall types, with Moore offering more attack but I wouldnt drop a kid who is doing nothing wrong either.

i guess the question is, even with jake batch doing so good, is there increased pressure on luke mcguane - surely their would have to be?

he hasnt been great but hasnt been deploable either.

kelvin moore is a good defender and a bigger body so i think when fit and after showing form, could slot in.

but he conversation is about grimes. he deserves all the accolades.

I love this kid. Spoils...but really works hard for his teammates to give them a chop out. He is super quick too and makes great decisions with the ball plus has great skills.

gun player

Grimes has been great defensively. Still has a lot to learn and a lot of filling out to do but playing at AFL is better for his long term development while he is holding his own.

He needs to be a lot quicker at moving the ball on, a couple of times where we were out and he took to long, but he did well once where he came back into the corridor that resulted in goal to Dusty from recollection.

He also needs to put a bit more thought into his spoiling. It's great that he is getting a fist in but he can't spoil back into the corridor or back towards goal. Also needs to take a risk and go for the mark but he is getting better and more and more confident. It's great to see

Was good to see him take that strong mark near the end of the game :thumbsu:

the best bit of that was that when he gave off the handball he continued to run alongside and protect whoever he had given the ball to. that kind of protective teamwork is the kind of thing we have been lacking. benny c and hardwick have probably had a big influence on us there.

The ball was kicked into the backline on Sat and the first person I looked for was Grimes, he timed his run and spoiled well yet again.
Is fast becoming our best tall backman imo, and should only improve from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to be a lot quicker at moving the ball on, a couple of times where we were out and he took to long, but he did well once where he came back into the corridor that resulted in goal to Dusty from recollection.
I agree, he's holding the play up as much as Thursfield ever did and at least Will has a very reliable kick. Grimes has obviously got so much development to go that hopefully he will improve in this area, but he needs to make sure he doesn't go down the same path that Will did to end up on the outer.

I'm happy with Mcguane and Rance too. Can't believe the bagging Mcguane gets when week in week out when he shuts his opponent out of the game. I can take his 1 mistake per game when he keeps his opponent to 0, 1 or 2 goals almost every game he plays. The more games he plays the less he will make these mistakes. People should realise how good a stopper he is and stop whingeing :cool:

Really he is just another Thursfield. Not sure what the differences are between them and why Grimes is chosen over him but I'm very impressed with Dylan. :thumbsu:

Yeah, was thinking along the same lines and concluded that Grimes is a quicker, younger version of Thursfield. Good old Thursty though, we've see all we're gonna from him but Grimes will learn and improve and when he has the confidence will become more creative. I'm already less nervous when he has the ball than I am when Lukey McGuane and Rancey have it!

Impressed with our recruiting this time around and this is what it must feel like to have a professional off-field unit...wow...I like it..!

Alot of people on here are writing blokes like Morton and Post off. Bazaar. Sadly it looks like we might be going down the same path as every succesful side ever and have depth. Very sad day for the RFC!!!!

Just love how Dylan goes about it. He has listened to what he and every other footballer get's told when they first start playing and for good reason. ''Punch when your behind'' No need to do all this fancy take a speccy crap. Just punch the ball as far as you possibly can, towards the boundary line or to our player's feet if they push back to help out. I think this is what we have been doing really well in the last few weeks. Getting back in number's not flooding as such but just getting to the fall or the ball and running it out. Well done Dylan, love ya work mate. :thumbsu:

Yeah, was thinking along the same lines and concluded that Grimes is a quicker, younger version of Thursfield. Good old Thursty though, we've see all we're gonna from him but Grimes will learn and improve and when he has the confidence will become more creative. I'm already less nervous when he has the ball than I am when Lukey McGuane and Rancey have it!

Impressed with our recruiting this time around and this is what it must feel like to have a professional off-field unit...wow...I like it..!
I'm more confident when Rance has it than Grimes at this stage
When Astbury forces McGuane out we will have pretty solid disposal coming out from our defence

When Astbury forces McGuane out we will have pretty solid disposal coming out from our defence

I think a fair amount of people are still thinking of Alex Rance from last year because this year I have been very comfortable when he has had the ball in the D50 he has more often then not got it out and to a team mates advantage and has been hitting targets on a regular basis.

I caught myself a few times on Saturday relaxing as the ball was coming into D50 as I saw Grimes was there to make the spoil, and he did time and again. He can keep doing exactly what he's doing for the rest of the year in my book.

Now I think of it he hasnt made many mistakes at all this year. I read he's been instructed to curb his risky attacking tendencies and it's proving to be the key to his improvement and composure.

Agreed, McGuane is a real goer but lacks the polish that's vital in defence these days. Who knows, several players are noticeably improving, lets see what they can do with Lukey..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back