• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always maintained that it's very difficult for a side based in WA to win the flag if they don't finish top 2. Despite optimism from some here, we were never a serious threat last year after dropping the last game against Hawthorn. This year is different though. There will be very little traveling and teams will predominately be playing on neutral venues. It's still going to be very difficult to win from 5th, but if there is ever going to be a chance to do it, this is the year.
I think we are also in a much better head space than last year. While we were in a similar position last year, I think the effort and drive has been a lot more consistent in the playing group.

We will still be up against it but I think that will be a positive for this year.

Those are still some pretty impressive stats though. 20% of our entire history we’ve been playing in a GF and half of them we’ve made a prelim (best 4 sides in the comp). Win 1 or 2 more of those GFs and we’re the most consistently successful team by a country mile.
All this without the leg up that some special Richmond based clubs receive.

I saw that and when I thought about it is true.

It's amazing when you think about some stats

34 seasons in the competition
25 season made the finals
16 seasons we have have won at least one final

BIG DROP OFF

9 seasons we have made preliminary final
7 season we have made the grand final
4 seasons we have won the flag.

That means since 1987 there has been 16 years where we made finals but did not progress to prelim.

We have also been competitive, but only 9 out of 34 years have we really been in the hunt for a flag at the pointy end of the season.

In saying that, our record is better than everyone bar Hawthorn.

These are breathtakingly good stats and anyone framing them as a negative is showing a lack of perspective.

We all want our club to be the best every year, but we don’t have some divine right to be good. We’re good because we’re a ******* impressive organisation, and we’re great more often than everyone else in football.

When you divide history into “years we won the flag” and “years we didn’t”, that pretty much ignores that there’s roughly a 1/18 chance we’ll win it, and a 17/18 chance we won’t. It’s not just some yes/no equation.

We are overachievers and consistently good, and when fans gripe about our level of success it just demonstrates a wonderful lack of perspective.

These are breathtakingly good stats and anyone framing them as a negative is showing a lack of perspective.

We all want our club to be the best every year, but we don’t have some divine right to be good. We’re good because we’re a ******* impressive organisation, and we’re great more often than everyone else in football.

When you divide history into “years we won the flag” and “years we didn’t”, that pretty much ignores that there’s roughly a 1/18 chance we’ll win it, and a 17/18 chance we won’t. It’s not just some yes/no equation.

We are overachievers and consistently good, and when fans gripe about our level of success it just demonstrates a wonderful lack of perspective.

Certainly wasn't knocking the club, and like I said, it is better than almost any other club in the league.

We've missed finals 9 times in our entire history, that number is 7 if you only factor in AFL era.

It's an incredible achievement.

If you factor Cockburn into it then it is actually a 1/17 chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally.Watching Geelong short pass;wait;short pass; wait..All the while giving Richmonds little ferrets time to charge down the mark.The man on the mark is now so close that even tho' you have a loose man out you either kick up and under or try to kick round the man on the mark.
People keep saying our kick/mark style will win out when we have all our talls back. Others say we need to adopt their style.
Our style is fine but needs tuning.Ive harked on a bit about Shep for example being so slow and careful;When you mark at CHB and theres nobody within cooee surely you need to take off as fast as possible even having a bounce.It draws defenders and makes them work harder.If you sit still the defenders stay back and sweat on you plus outnumber you forward of the ball.
Another is Nelson.This kid has got some nice moves and a very good left foot.Has anybody ever seen him wheel onto the left and cut back the other way.Why not?Richmond come hard and fast in straight lines,we should look to step as much as possible.Selling the dummy is incredibly important in these high pressure games.
NN please bruise Nankervis as early and as much as possible.Hes a bruiser himself thats why hes in there.
We constantly kick out to the RH flank.Richmond routinely punch forward as hard as possible.We dont need 4-5 blokes going up for a huge pack mark which we occasionally get.We need 4-5 blokes in front of the pack.
Richmond are very disciplined.When they kick to the wing their big men routinely punch over the head for their little men to buzz forward.How many times do i have to see it before wake up time.
Im of the school that our best is better than their best.We need to refine our tactics.Not change drastically but mess with some of their little routines.Kicking out needs to be more adventurous,more set plays.
But after all that we are a way off worrying about them.,We gotta get there first.
Last but not least i dont like everyone laughing and smacking their lips at the possibility of playing Melbourne in the final at home.I warned against the same thing when the Bullies came over and smashed us as we were busy planning our next game.
Against Geelong the Richmond players were over the mark a number of times. Umps just call them back (should be an immediate 50m).

I would take the punt on any backlash and get Simpson to mention it pre game in a press conference. If they go over the mark in the game then we get 50m, otherwise they just have to be 5% more cautious (another advantage to the opposition).

They are good because they play on edge (not exclusively, obviously they have skill, are well drilled etc). As soon as teams on the edge double guess themselves it is over.

Of course we need to play closer to the edge... I think we have been lacking that a bit this year (although saw against the Saints that sudden death games should not be a fear for us as fans).

We need to earn the right to play the top 4 though (barring Adelaide or Sydney miracles this week).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest why should a club have to come back here to hard quarantine again for 7 days after doing it for 3 months in qld?? no wonder its got resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Why shouldn’t they? It is not exactly prison. We have been shafted for 34 years over fixturing and the moment another club has to do something out of the ordinary against us, most of this board become apologists.

If we earn the right to host a home final; then we deserve the right to host it.

Fox (Tom Morris ) reporting it's a done deal

"If West Coast finish fifth, they will play a home elimination final in Perth. Their opponents will need to quarantine for seven days in Western Australia before playing the game."

Fox (Tom Morris ) reporting it's a done deal

"If West Coast finish fifth, they will play a home elimination final in Perth. Their opponents will need to quarantine for seven days in Western Australia before playing the game."

I understood we are also having to quarantine for 7 days too.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Herald Sun now reporting that "the team who finished 8th will most likely face a fifth placed West Coast at Optus in a Saturday final".

Back