Eagles Women's team

What is your interest in a female Eagles team

• Less than zero, should not happen.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • None, but I do not oppose it.

Votes: 51 29.7%
  • A little, would watch if I had nothing else to do.

Votes: 48 27.9%
  • Some, would go early to watch if it was on as a curtain raiser

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • Lots, would attend games, and watch on TV

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
I have been following the developments of a womens league for some time, but have never been entirely sure about the Eagles attitude to it. They expressed support, but never in a way that made it clear they were not just paying lip service to the idea.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/west-c...ttle-for-womens-afl-side-20160304-gnajq2.html

Nisbett has now said that the Eagles absolutely want a team, and will be putting in a tender with the intention of winning it.

He also estimated costs at $1.5 Mill per year.

There will be an Eagles Dockers female game a little later this year, however that will really be the State academy split into 2 teams, and given Eagles and Dockers jumpers.

The Eagles are probably in a better position than most to support the additional cost, some of which will come out of the AFL.

What do people think of the prospects of a female Eagles team, especially given it may well be a powerhouse team from the start, depending on how they set up the league.

I'd watch it if they play some games on TV, or they were a curtain raiser to an Eagles game I was going to, not sure if a 2017 start is a bit too rushed though. If it was between us and Dockers to have the 1st WA team, I'd certainly like it to be us...

Seriously do not give a flying toss. Would much rather have an eagles under 21 program focussing on indigenous and underpriviledged kids from around WA and watching them instead.

s**t or a normal colts side, or a wafl side or a SWFL side or your local bunch of amateurs. When you can get a womens team that can beat a top WAFL side i'll be interested in watching it.

Seriously do not give a flying toss. Would much rather have an eagles under 21 program focussing on indigenous and underpriviledged kids from around WA and watching them instead.

s**t or a normal colts side, or a wafl side or a SWFL side or your local bunch of amateurs. When you can get a womens team that can beat a top WAFL side i'll be interested in watching it.

Oh but dont you know Phil, women and men are equal and we're supposed to love womens sports as much as mens and the only reason we dont is because they arent on tv. ;)

I don't go out of my way to watch our "2nds" in East Perth. If its on, and I am doing absolutely nothing else, and the AFL game that is on is terrible, sure I watch them. My care for an eagles womans side would be even far less.

Good idea to help increase participation and get more females involved in the game, I cant see many people wanting to watch though.

People against the Eagles women's side are missing the point. In WA we have to have this team. Personally I'll be a very big bandwagon supporter of them but the biggest coup of having an Eagles women's team is consolidating ourselves as the number 1 team in WA, building on our market dominance and growing our membership and fan base. We want young girls that want to play football to support the Eagles Ladies team not a Fremantle Ladies team because if they are supporting a Fremantle Ladies team then they are likely to support the Fremantle mens team as that is their avenue into the sport.

The age reported today that the bulldogs are in talks with 4 major companies over sponsoring their women's team. 3 of them not previously interested in football sponsorship.

This is before the bulldogs have a team, or a league to play in.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People against the Eagles women's side are missing the point. In WA we have to have this team. Personally I'll be a very big bandwagon supporter of them but the biggest coup of having an Eagles women's team is consolidating ourselves as the number 1 team in WA, building on our market dominance and growing our membership and fan base. We want young girls that want to play football to support the Eagles Ladies team not a Fremantle Ladies team because if they are supporting a Fremantle Ladies team then they are likely to support the Fremantle mens team as that is their avenue into the sport.

No one with half a brain considers this to be about anything but $$$$$$$$$$$$

TBH i dont give a s**t if they are lovely people or not. I'm a realist. If the option is Elle Dimasi or a similarly attractive young woman or a boyish looking female football player i know whats going to happen 999 times out of 1000.
Whats going to happen? Because I have no ******* idea what you are talking about

How the hell are they given a free ride? Look at the disparity between men and women's sports - they aren't given s**t.

OMG seriously ?

A future national league that will be solely funded by the AFL.

Same as the women's national cricket and soccer leagues who both run at a loss but get a share of the profit of the men's game to survive. Wages, super, travel accomodation etc etc

There would be no national league for virtually every female sport without the men's equivalent subsidizing it

But they get s**t hey ?? LOL

Last edited:
Back