Prediction Eddie Betts' longevity

Remove this Banner Ad

Brentmeister

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Eddie Betts still doesn't turn 30 until November this year. He's contracted until the end of 2017. But he really seems to be hitting his best footy right now.

Could he be a Boomer Harvey type and keep playing into his late 30s? Similar body type, similar crumbing type player who doesn't ever seem to cop big hits. In other words Eddie seems to avoid major collisions due to good ground positioning. He hasn't missed much footy throughout his AFL career as a result.

Could he keep this high standard going for a few more years yet?

Eddie Betts still doesn't turn 30 until November this year. He's contracted until the end of 2017. But he really seems to be hitting his best footy right now.

Could he be a Boomer Harvey type and keep playing into his late 30s? Similar body type, similar crumbing type player who doesn't ever seem to cop big hits. In other words Eddie seems to avoid major collisions due to good ground positioning. He hasn't missed much footy throughout his AFL career as a result.

He could, he just needs to hang on to his starting speed. He basically hits top speed immediately while not being overly fast. Perfect for evading in traffic.

I was actually having a think about that just now too. We can hope that he'll be another Brent Harvey, but Harvey is certainly the exception rather than the rule. He might last until 2020, maybe 2022.

Age should be no barrier in life. We are too quick in the footy industry to write off players due to their age or to predict their demise in the coming years.

However, we need to be smart about how we manage Eddie. Isolate him deep in the forward line next to JJ or another monster forward and allow him to work his magic at ground level or even in the air!

One thing I didn’t like seeing last year was how Hawthorn beat up Eddie and Charlie. They need better protection this year from their team mates. We can’t rely on the umpires because they always shaft us.

Eddie if we manage him right can keep playing in the coming years. This will mean shielding him physically as much as possible which will depend on coaching tactics, Eddie’s positioning and protection from his bigger team mates.

“Eddie can he from there? Oh it’s his field of dreams!”- Dwayne in the second Showdown 2014 after Eddie’s miraculous goal from the boundary.

The thought of Milera, Menzel, Eddie and Charlie creating havoc with their speed and skill is a gift bestowed by the footy gods! Bring it on!

I sometimes wonder if Eddie even wants to keep playing that long?

I'll make a prediction and say he'll sign a 3 year extension at some point next year to take him to 2020 and then maybe consider retiring after that. How much we pay him would be interesting too. Clearly on a good deal now, but hard to pay him more knowing he'll be going into his 30's?

When we signed him for 4 years, I figured that would take him to the end of his career. Based on how he's gone so far, though, I could see him going another year or two after that. Not sure if he'd go much past 2019, maybe 2020 at best. Even if his body holds up, he'll have the likes of Cameron, Milera etc coming into their prime while he's ageing which will put pressure on him for those small forward spots.

Not to mention the salary cap squeeze - he's currently on a pretty decent contract which was needed to extract him from Carlton (and worth every cent), but if we hang onto our good young players and they develop as hoped then we'll be needing some of that cash to hold onto them. If we have the likes of B Crouch etc coming up on free agency around then, I'd think that would be the priority.

On the subject of B Crouch, for the purposes of free agency does the 8 year rule include that first year when he wasn't allowed to play?

I sometimes wonder if Eddie even wants to keep playing that long?

I'll make a prediction and say he'll sign a 3 year extension at some point next year to take him to 2020 and then maybe consider retiring after that. How much we pay him would be interesting too. Clearly on a good deal now, but hard to pay him more knowing he'll be going into his 30's?

Given your history of not signing multi-year deals for 30+ players, I don't see him being offered a 3 year deal next year (as he'll be 30).

JR may have a different LM strategy, but I can't imagine so.

He might get an extension this year, until the end of 2018. Then one year deals after that.

When we signed him for 4 years, I figured that would take him to the end of his career. Based on how he's gone so far, though, I could see him going another year or two after that. Not sure if he'd go much past 2019, maybe 2020 at best. Even if his body holds up, he'll have the likes of Cameron, Milera etc coming into their prime while he's ageing which will put pressure on him for those small forward spots.

Not to mention the salary cap squeeze - he's currently on a pretty decent contract which was needed to extract him from Carlton (and worth every cent), but if we hang onto our good young players and they develop as hoped then we'll be needing some of that cash to hold onto them. If we have the likes of B Crouch etc coming up on free agency around then, I'd think that would be the priority.

On the subject of B Crouch, for the purposes of free agency does the 8 year rule include that first year when he wasn't allowed to play?

He was only added to the AFL officially for 2012 draft, so this is his 4th year.

(Same as C.Dixon being listed from 2010, after being selected in 2009)

The thought of Milera, Menzel, Eddie and Charlie creating havoc with their speed and skill is a gift bestowed by the footy gods! Bring it on!

Imagine if we still had Tippett who would never lose a contest and would always at least bring the ball front and center. JJ needs to take another step forward in this facet of his game. He was much improved last year however.

He has low body mass, which always aids longevity. He's not a midfielder putting 15kms into his knees every week. If we manage his preseasons properly we should get a few more years out of him yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W/O unforeseeable injuries I think Eddie should make it to 2022. A player if his freakish talent doesn't just loose it overnight. If his body stays in good shape, and given his style of play odds are it should, we could potentially have another 8 years out of Eddie.

Its seems alot but look at Mitchell, Hodge, Goodes (don't think he would have retired if not for the whole booing saga), nobody notices there age while out there as they are elite talents in a modern AFL conditioning and recovery system.

We should have Betts for a long time, I hate to think of a crows side without him :(

Given your history of not signing multi-year deals for 30+ players, I don't see him being offered a 3 year deal next year (as he'll be 30).

He might get an extension this year, until the end of 2018. Then one year deals after that.

I think in the free agency era clubs are more likely to offer multi-year deals to 30+ players rather than lose them for nothing. Although I doubt Betts will be around long enough to qualify for free agency again (and if he does I doubt any team would be interested in him at that age), so probably not relevant here.

Unless he has some major issues, I expect to see Eddie in Crows colours until at least the end of 2019, with hopefully another year or two if hes still travelling well.

Would be 34 after the end of the 2020 season.

might deserve a 2 yr extension on his current deal on similar cash if he keeps his form up?

He is 30 this year? Wow. One year at a time from here on in. It is good for both parties. I remember when we all saying the same about Edwards, McLeod and Goody....none of them made the end of their last year. Point is the body gives up at different times for everyone. The 1 year contract after 30 makes sense. Hopefully he goes on for us for a few more years yet though!!

Unless he has some major issues, I expect to see Eddie in Crows colours until at least the end of 2019, with hopefully another year or two if hes still travelling well.

Would be 34 after the end of the 2020 season.
Think 2019 is a realistic expectation .......that'll make him 33yo??

Mmmm. Auto-correct or a very well disguised troll account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back