Would we all be better off if the club handed its license back?

Would the absence of this awful club improve your life?

• Yes

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Also yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Most def

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

in answer to the thread question, there was a time i would have laughed at the thought of this type of question even being asked

now - it would certainly cause me far more happiness if i didn't care about this ******* club ever again. i've had my membership pack sitting in a parcel locker for a couple of weeks, i'm not even sure if i can be ****ed picking it up. the club sees members as customers only, not as members. the membership is merely a transaction for them and once its done - * us.

we keep making the same *ups with drafting, with shithouse coaching selections, with trying to hide obvious "missteps" we've made, and with trying to compare us with the big 4 clubs

i wish i didn't care
We should have had at least 1 cup between 2015-2020 imo, a number of things in and out of our control stopped that from being history. I agree with you re bad drafting, but really you need a s**t ton of luck nowadays to win it all and our football club hasn’t had any luck yet, i still hold hope our time sooner rather than later will come.

It's not clear what sort of rebuttle it was supposed to be, it's the central premise of the thread. I would be better off if this club didn't exist.

I've pumped in tens of thousands of dollars over the years, in memberships, in attending games, on gear, on beer at their ovals through their extortionate SMA prices. I've pumped in basically a day of every winter weekend of my life. I've consistently turned up and watched as the predictable happened, and we failed. Time and time and time and time and time again for 25 years. And I'll still do it next weekend- i'll trot down to that oval, despite the ever diminishing number of friends I can find that would still spend time watching this awful club.

And to this day, I hate every single smug and stupid ******* part of the dumbassed club from their shithouse ugly ******* insult of a logo to their inability to rebuild according to any sensible strategy, to their refusal to pick our highest ever draft pick. And yet I still turn the damn games on and get hurt when they humiliate themselves. I still defend the awful ******* organisation to opposition fans that will never get tired of rubbing my face in the s**t and will never run out of ammo. I will never be able to leave them, and I will never be able to free myself from the belief that one day they will treat me better as a fan, rather than considering me a walking pigeon used to fund their status as the king dicks on the sinking titanic.

It's mercy I seek. Free me from the horror. Hand the license back.
That was beautifully poetic. Sincerely

You’re always excited by our talents and list.
This is just a small sample from the last few years.
What? The only bullish comments were about Berry, Pedlar and Thilthorpe. Hamill and McPherson development stalled due to injuries, Scholl didn't get exposed on the hard ball during his early years of development and I guess you didn't see the improvement in Jones last year and I was correct about Fogarty (still think he could be that big body midfielder we always wanted after significant improvement in his fitness)....basic football knowledge ;)

Last edited:

in answer to the thread question, there was a time i would have laughed at the thought of this type of question even being asked

now - it would certainly cause me far more happiness if i didn't care about this ******* club ever again. i've had my membership pack sitting in a parcel locker for a couple of weeks, i'm not even sure if i can be ****ed picking it up. the club sees members as customers only, not as members. the membership is merely a transaction for them and once its done - * us.

we keep making the same *ups with drafting, with shithouse coaching selections, with trying to hide obvious "missteps" we've made, and with trying to compare us with the big 4 clubs

i wish i didn't care

Come and join the Reds train mate.

Why do people keep saying things like this? The next five rounds matter extremely little, we're talking about a 25 year phenomena.
Yeah but thats the past it gone its over. All we have now is the future. Yes we know there have been issues all we can hope for is that they get addressed and yes its taking so bloody long.

For me we are now in a new season. I want to see if we have improved this year. Its all I have to hope for. I cant make that judgement call on one game. Who knows perhaps GWS is gong to be a power house this year. If they are then perhaps our performance on the weekend wasnt so bad. Lets say we beat Richmond this week. I just dont know how any of the teams are truly ranked. If we are s**t at the end of five rounds I can then make a better judgement and I will.

Go back to wanting them to win in the hope that we have turned the corner.

I still cant believe how in the hell we won a flag, let alone two, back to back in 97 and 98.

I dont believe our record will ever be beaten of playing and traveling for 5 consecutive weeks to end up winning the flag in 98.

With that many weeks of travel, I cant believe we were not smoked in the GF or Prelim. The fact that we smashed both the Dogs and Roos in the 2nd half of both games, even more impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still cant believe how in the hell we won a flag, let alone two, back to back in 97 and 98.

I dont believe our record will ever be beaten of playing and traveling for 5 consecutive weeks to end up winning the flag in 98.

With that many weeks of travel, I cant believe we were not smoked in the GF or Prelim. The fact that we smashed both the Dogs and Roos in the 2nd half of both games, even more impressive.
It’s quite clear with the shitshow since that Reid did a deal with the devil, 2 flags and you can * with us for all of eternity after I’ve left the club

It’s quite clear with the shitshow since that Reid did a deal with the devil, 2 flags and you can * with us for all of eternity after I’ve left the club
What hurts even more is that during the H&A season of the 00s, we were genuinely elite.

We should have had one more flag in the 00s.

2012 we fluked it getting that far.

2017 there was things going in that Finals series that really screwed us, Tigers with the Home GF, Tigers playing at home in W1 of the Finals at the G instead of down at that s**t hole in Geelong. Cotchin getting off sniping players. We had Geelong's measure in 2017, if we met them in 2017 GF, I believe we would have rolled them.

What hurts even more is that during the H&A season of the 00s, we were genuinely elite.

We should have had one more flag in the 00s.

2012 we fluked it getting that far.

2017 there was things going in that Finals series that really screwed us, Tigers with the Home GF, Tigers playing at home in W1 of the Finals at the G instead of down at that s**t hole in Geelong. Cotchin getting off sniping players. We had Geelong's measure in 2017, if we met them in 2017 GF, I believe we would have rolled them.
A sliding doors moment for us is the 2017 qualifying final between Geelong and Richmond

Richmond won that game comfortably at the MCG, but it was Geelong's home game and they were very good at Kardinia Park (as usual). Had that game been played at Kardina, as Geelong deserved, they might have won it.

This would have sent Richmond to face Sydney in the Semi, and beating them would have Richmond facing us at Adelaide Oval for a spot in the GF - I'm sure we win that.

Then Geelong would have faced GWS in their prelim and I'm confident that year we could have beaten either side at the MCG

Popped by the site to see the reaction to the McAdam suspension, and saw this. As someone who used to post a bit but deleted my account last season, I offer the following reflection on my own experience to OP:

• Long term Crows supporter, 20+ years as a member, Gold member for a long time also.
  • Followed them through thick and thin, was a bit young to fully appreciate the magnitude of the 1997/98 premierships. Tasted only heartbreak, controversies, and disappointment since. The AFL media that I paid to watch rubs this in my face at any opportunity.
  • Used to believe that the league was a level playing field, that those running the club were somewhat competent.
  • For a long time I rode the ups and downs pretty hard, watched 7 or 8 matches a week, all the talks show etc. Eventually decided it wasn’t worth it. I still have my membership (only renewed when offered half price by the club) but attend purely for social reasons. I’ll still be unlikely to get to even half the matches this year.
  • I’m far better off having checked out. The Victorian biased league and the club itself have slowly but surely killed my love for the game.

In summary, life is short, the club is mediocre at best and the way AFL House run the competition, even when we are dominant we are unlikely to win an actual premiership unless massive structural changes occur.

If you can accept the reality that the league isn’t meant for us, it’s for Victorian based teams to win, and still get enjoyment from it then great. If not then I’d advise letting go.

I mean this in all sincerity and kindness, if it’s causing you that much angst then step away. I did and I’m better for it.

Last edited:
Long term I see South Australian interest in the AFL dying a slow but steady death.

The league is negligent at best in its service to the game in this state. They’re more interested in “The home of footy” and the growth markets. This is made clear on a weekly basis through their actions, and communicated relentlessly through their strictly guarded approved media partners. If Port jag a premiership that might turn things around a bit, but we’re not in the hunt.

Anyway, all the best.

Long term I see South Australian interest in the AFL dying a slow but steady death.

The league is negligent at best in its service to the game in this state. They’re more interested in “The home of footy” and the growth markets. This is made clear on a weekly basis through their actions, and communicated relentlessly through their strictly guarded approved media partners. If Port jag a premiership that might turn things around a bit, but we’re not in the hunt.

Anyway, all the best.
Yep.

Was talking to someone about it last week. They recently moved to Queensland and one of their boys (who is a mad Crows fan) is heavily into his footy. The facilities and coaching programmes up there are apparently miles ahead of here, and fully funded by the AFL.

A sliding doors moment for us is the 2017 qualifying final between Geelong and Richmond

Richmond won that game comfortably at the MCG, but it was Geelong's home game and they were very good at Kardinia Park (as usual). Had that game been played at Kardina, as Geelong deserved, they might have won it.

This would have sent Richmond to face Sydney in the Semi, and beating them would have Richmond facing us at Adelaide Oval for a spot in the GF - I'm sure we win that.

Then Geelong would have faced GWS in their prelim and I'm confident that year we could have beaten either side at the MCG
Sadly the history of the Adelaide Football Club contains far more than our fair share of sliding doors moments.

Many are plain bad luck, many have more to do with what’s baked into the system we participate in.

A sliding doors moment for us is
Thats a thread in itself, the sliding door moments of the AFC.

Phil Walsh's passing and tragedy is a moment in time, that has since rocked our Club.

Im not even saying that definitely we would have won GF's or done better in other years, but when he was there we definitely would have made better decisions in a variety of areas at our Club.

Sadly the history of the Adelaide Football Club contains far more than our fair share of sliding doors moments.

Many are plain bad luck, many have more to do with what’s baked into the system we participate in.
The club hasnt been well run for sometime. Agree the VFL doesn't do us any favours but we don't do ourself any favours either. 97 and 98 pissed the vfl off no doubt and they have gone out of their way to make sure it never happens again. The members must control the club for us to ever win another flag. Then we can get rid of Roo, Ogilvie, Reid for starters

The club hasnt been well run for sometime. Agree the VFL doesn't do us any favours but we don't do ourself any favours either. 97 and 98 pissed the vfl off no doubt and they have gone out of their way to make sure it never happens again. The members must control the club for us to ever win another flag. Then we can get rid of Roo, Ogilvie, Reid for starters
The members will never be able to vote out staff. That's not how it works.

Going for JHF was our Travis Boak-Geelong-2012 club future defining moment. Seeing us miss out on a generational genuine midfielder, and then seeing him go to our arch rivals, was probably the final straw for many who understand the mechanics of the game/competition. If we landed him we have a future and a player you can build a list around. But I don't see any sunshine on the horizon at least for the next decade, especially if we stick with our current unaccountable, incompetent football dept.

I'm sure today there will be thousands of "die hard" AFC facebook fans cheering on Murphy "don't worry son, you tried you're hardest, make amends at the next contest". I won't be one of them.

No doubt the competition favors Victorian clubs (14 of the last 16 premiers, 15 if you include Sydney) but we have also imploded over the last 2 decades and made some horrendous off-field recruitment, drafting, trading, list management and cultural decisions.

Back