Review Embarrassing Dogs Barely Give A Yelp Against Norf. - Rd 10, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This club just doesn’t want to win badly enough. You know exactly what you’re going to get week in week out with some clubs, but this rabble have been dishing up inconsistent **** for 100 years. They’ve had their day in the sun and now let’s return to being irrelevant for another 60 years. WILL NEVER CHANGE.
Go and get some help.

Other than the singular point of difference that is The Bont and a probably a kid in his first season, we are devoid of much in the way of match winning mids and way too skewed towards one paced accumulators that are flat out kicking the ball 40 metres and who's first instinct seems to be to stop, prop and look sideways for the easy get out kick. When you combine these crabs with our dearth of get out kick talls its just making life far too easy for opposition teams to set up defensively through the middle of the ground like the norfs (as did Carlton and Gold Coast) did yesterday blocking all avenues forward and when we do manage to scramble it forward if we dont turn it over with an horrendous skill error due to our inability to withstand sustained pressure, opposition teams just roll back knowing that Aaron Naughton is the sole target and we're about to bomb it onto his head. Im not sure that picking up a journeyman from the lower leagues is going to help us much in this regard.

The Bont, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba. Not exactly electric and about as far down as we bat.

English was completely rattled 20 minutes into the first, if you dare take a look at the replay and watch him trail along way behind Goldstein for the next 2 and a half quarters. Why Beveridge didn't roll the dice early and shift Trengove who was having his own issues with Brown into the ruck at this point just beggars belief. That he was able to get on the end of a couple of beautiful passes in the last is a nice sign that he was willing to work his way back, but he's just not physically ready to take control of the No.1 ruck position right now and is just getting monstered around the ball.

However as big and glaring an issue as that is, its our mid-field and half forwards inability to apply any defensive pressure whatsoever and stem the tide whenever a team gets the slightest of runs of play. That this has happened against 3 of the bottom sides in the competition tells us all we need to know about the quality and depth of the midfield that we actually posse. If it aint the Bont getting us going it aint getting going.

Why Beveridge decided to burn Cordy as a defensive forward for a large portion the first half when we already have an undersized defence is a head scratcher that will have me going until I reach China. Once and for all can we put to bed the calls for him to play forward, he is absolutely clueless when it comes to playing there and if his role to curb one of Thompson or Tarrant it was doomed to fail and only served to destabilise an already rickety and undermanned defensive structure.
Leaving English in the ruck after the smashing he got cost us the game.
I’ll tell you who should be getting less midfield minutes...Patrick frigging Lipinski! Why are we trying to turn a promising forward into another inside mid?
why on earth they didn’t give Lippa Toby’s position and use Tob on the ball is beyond me. Then again this strange positional stuff going on all year so it must be just game time development ahead of actually winning games .

Leaving English in the ruck after the smashing he got cost us the game.

why on earth they didn’t give Lippa Toby’s position and use Tob on the ball is beyond me. Then again this strange positional stuff going on all year so it must be just game time development ahead of actually winning games .

Exactly, putting Lipinski in the middle yet leaving Dunkley, Bont, Libba and Macrae as forwards had me confused too.

Last edited:
And yet at Carlton, all is sweetness and light, because at least they beat US 😁.

Yes, I know you are trolling 😉
And Norf. According to Glen McFarlane it was a Win For The Ages :drunk:

Also, saying it’s not rocket science is too simplistic. You’re pretty much suggesting that if English isn’t playing well in the games he’s playing a simple positional switch with Cordy playing in ruck results in us automatically playing better. Why don’t we just start Cordy in the ruck and play English forward ? That’ll make us a better team yeah ?
What happens when Cordy starts getting beaten ? Bevo has no idea because Cordy shouldn’t be rucking ?

Sorry, it just doesn’t work like that.
Well what do you suggest then?

Well what do you suggest then?

What do I suggest ? I suggest we all be a little bit patient. Let’s take a chill pill and have a think about where the teams at.
We’re still young and pretty ******* inexperienced.
I posted during the pre season that our best is pretty good but with a young list it might not be sustainable for the whole year. I stand by that and I reckon that’s what we’re seeing with Saturday’s game and in some of the other games we’ve played.
Add to that we’re depleted in a number of areas. Back up ruckman, Key Backs, Etc.
We lost one of our best backmen during the pre season and the other one we had to play forward due to the lack of developed forwards on the list. The weakness’ in the side are starting to show and it’s probably effecting some of the players as they’re having to do more than what should be required. History tells us our list is still a few years away ( forget 2016, that was a Bevo Masterclass with a different 22 ) so to play the way we have in some of this seasons games is pretty ******* impressive imo and I see us having some strong wins during remain games also.

Patience and a bit of common sense. That’s what I suggest.

As for what I would do if I was in the coaches box ?
For one, I wouldn’t have had the balls to put one of my only key defenders in the ruck when the oppos tall fwds were pretty damaging. I would’ve given instructions to my mids to be proactive in reading Goldie’s taps and be more productive when the ball was in dispute at our stoppages. I don’t know for sure but from my experience as a coach id say that that’s what would have also been discussed with the midfield at the breaks on Saturday. It’s probably also been discussed during many of the breaks in many of the games we’ve played with English as our main ruck. Its obviously worked some weeks and hasn’t others as it didn’t on Saturday.
Not many AFL coaches would have the balls to throw one of only two key backs in to the ruck to try and take control of the midfield battle when the oppo talls are on top of their defenders.

Personally I’d also be careful pulling my young ruckman out of the game too early on. Doesn’t do him any favours.
English is probably holding his own 2/10 games played currently. You want that to go 3/7, 4/6, 5/5 etc which it will eventually and soon it’ll be he dominating games most weeks imo, but if you pull him out every time an oppo ruck gets on top it won’t be doing him any good.

As ScragCity posted before, we don’t have all the answers. Either does Bevo. Either does Clarko for that matter.

It’s become an absolute s**t fight on here recently. Everyone wants wants wants, right now now now and when it doesn’t happen we’re all looking for someone to blame. Usually it’s Bevo or the match committee or both. We could include Honeychurch but he’s gone now.

Maybe the 2016 flag made us all impatient. I wonder if we’d won the flag in 2017/18 would we all still be losing the plot and on the coaches back ? Would we be less impressed because it took him 3-4 years to win one instead of the amazingly short time of only 2 it actually took him ?
We need to remember that this lists window is really only just starting to open. It’s no where near shut. Should we be hounding the coach, players and match committee just yet ?

Imo we’ve got one of the best young lists in the comp, one of the best coaches in the comp and now we’ve got a bit of a war chest to go and fill some important spots on the list that need filling.
As long as we don’t go winless for the rest of the season I don’t see any reason not to be optimistic from here on in.

Go Dogs !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do I suggest ? I suggest we all be a little bit patient. Let’s take a chill pill and have a think about where the teams at.
We’re still young and pretty ******* inexperienced.
I posted during the pre season that our best is pretty good but with a young list it might not be sustainable for the whole year. I stand by that and I reckon that’s what we’re seeing with Saturday’s game and in some of the other games we’ve played.
Add to that we’re depleted in a number of areas. Back up ruckman, Key Backs, Etc.
We lost one of our best backmen during the pre season and the other one we had to play forward due to the lack of developed forwards on the list. The weakness’ in the side are starting to show and it’s probably effecting some of the players as they’re having to do more than what should be required. History tells us our list is still a few years away ( forget 2016, that was a Bevo Masterclass with a different 22 ) so to play the way we have in some of this seasons games is pretty ******* impressive imo and I see us having some strong wins during remain games also.

Patience and a bit of common sense. That’s what I suggest.

As for what I would do if I was in the coaches box ?
For one, I wouldn’t have had the balls to put one of my only key defenders in the ruck when the oppos tall fwds were pretty damaging. I would’ve given instructions to my mids to be proactive in reading Goldie’s taps and be more productive when the ball was in dispute at our stoppages. I don’t know for sure but from my experience as a coach id say that that’s what would have also been discussed with the midfield at the breaks on Saturday. It’s probably also been discussed during many of the breaks in many of the games we’ve played with English as our main ruck. Its obviously worked some weeks and hasn’t others as it didn’t on Saturday.
Not many AFL coaches would have the balls to throw one of only two key backs in to the ruck to try and take control of the midfield battle when the oppo talls are on top of their defenders.

Personally I’d also be careful pulling my young ruckman out of the game too early on. Doesn’t do him any favours.
English is probably holding his own 2/10 games played currently. You want that to go 3/7, 4/6, 5/5 etc which it will eventually and soon it’ll be he dominating games most weeks imo, but if you pull him out every time an oppo ruck gets on top it won’t be doing him any good.

As ScragCity posted before, we don’t have all the answers. Either does Bevo. Either does Clarko for that matter.

It’s become an absolute **** fight on here recently. Everyone wants wants wants, right now now now and when it doesn’t happen we’re all looking for someone to blame. Usually it’s Bevo or the match committee or both. We could include Honeychurch but he’s gone now.

Maybe the 2016 flag made us all impatient. I wonder if we’d won the flag in 2017/18 would we all still be losing the plot and on the coaches back ? Would we be less impressed because it took him 3-4 years to win one instead of the amazingly short time of only 2 it actually took him ?
We need to remember that this lists window is really only just starting to open. It’s no where near shut. Should we be hounding the coach, players and match committee just yet ?

Imo we’ve got one of the best young lists in the comp, one of the best coaches in the comp and now we’ve got a bit of a war chest to go and fill some important spots on the list that need filling.
As long as we don’t go winless for the rest of the season I don’t see any reason not to be optimistic from here on in.

Go Dogs !!!

Great post. We only need a couple quality talls and a bit more experience into the kids and we will be contending.

Great post. We only need a couple quality talls and a bit more experience into the kids and we will be contending.

and how long have we've been saying that ? seems like its been 6/7 years of the same old excuses.

at the end of the day we have been struggling for a spine since the early macca days. and even under bevo it looks the same

I'm curious.
Which one of Lachie Young's 5 very poor AFL games convinced you that he is on track to be a superior player to our premiership captain?

Obviously i'm not saying that...just that there are guys like Crozier and Williams, one who is, and the other who could potentially, both play Woods role.
Lachie Young really provided a point of differencr down back in my opinion. He's got some height, speed, and looks like he can kick both sides.

The "Metres Gained Mafia" went up in round ten to thirteen players, the only Bulldog
representation still is in the form of Marcus "Don" Bontempelli who is clinging like a
dag off a sheep's behind in 13th place with 502.10 (mpg).

Other Bulldogs in the top 100 :

Rank 26: Caleb Daniel 453.70 (mpg)
Rank 38: Jason Johannisen 420.86 (mpg)
Rank 46: Matthew Suckling 407.71 (mpg)
Rank 59: Lachie Hunter 385.30 (mpg)
Rank 76: Taylor Duryea 370.00 (mpg)
Rank 86: Hayden Crozier 361.50 (mpg)

Player of the week:

Matthew Suckling: 505 Metres Gained (Welcome back champion)

A long way off Bachar Houli 814.00 and Ricky Henderson 810.00 (My Brownlow smokey),
but still the man all the same.

Who was making excuses 3 years ago?!?!
The world and the fans were incredulous that a side with no recognised spine could win a flag.

Roberts - fringe player at best
Hamling- DFA
Boyd and Roughead - two very average ruckmen (one of whom played the game of his life that day)
Stringer - never played like a KPF and didn’t contribute heavily in finals anyway
Cordy - 9th game in his first season

We’re still trying to work out how it happened and how it can be recreated. No obvious answers from anyone on that yet. We do know that the change to the third man up rule has hurt us quite a bit.

We’re still trying to work out how it happened and how it can be recreated. No obvious answers from anyone on that yet. We do know that the change to the third man up rule has hurt us quite a bit.

I've been considering matters over the weekend and I think the lack of Matty Boyd, Bob Murphy, Dale Morris and Liam Picken is the biggest change.

With the way we slingshot the ball there's no experienced cool heads to fall back, pick up the ball and redirect traffic the other way when we lose possession. You can't buy experience.

Hunter Macrea Libba etc just don't have expansive vision. Caleb does but he's increasingly hestitant with ball in hand and takes too many easy, predictable options. He's losing confidence by the game. Roughead isn't the greatest footballer, but watching Collingwood games he's chilled as * in his favourite position and happy to give the ball off to better users.

Bev changed things up when he first arrived, but I wonder how much of it was player driven? We've lost our onfield coaches and it really shows. We're a bunch of headless chooks both with and without the ball.

Unfortunately most of the experienced players we've brought in aren't of the same quality. I rate Suckling highly he's not in the same class as our departed veterans.

Bont would be a good substitute but he can't be everywhere. Watching him out there I get the feeling he's increasingly frustrated at having to burden the responsibility of, well, just about everything.

Easton Wood shouldn't be captain. Smashing bloke; brave and skilled footballer but he does nothing onfield to direct players that I can see.

Obviously i'm not saying that...just that there are guys like Crozier and Williams, one who is, and the other who could potentially, both play Woods role.
Lachie Young really provided a point of differencr down back in my opinion. He's got some height, speed, and looks like he can kick both sides.

I think the problem with younger players, is that people tend to have trouble differentiating between their potential and performance.

It is easy to focus on a young players strengths and forgive their weaknesses.

The converse is true with older players, it is a little too easy to focus on their weaknesses and forget about their strengths.

Lachie Young clearly has some desirable attributes. He also has some current weaknesses.

His overall performances at AFL level were poor. Under any other coaching regime, he would probably have been dropped immediately after his debut.

I think the point of difference he made was that some of his own supporter base was scared of him getting the ball due to the high likelihood it would precipitate an opposition goal.

I think his problems were primarily related to a lack of self confidence. Hopefully he can build that up and come back stronger next time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back