England tour of India (4 Tests, 5 T20Is, 3 ODIs)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
England's tour of India begins Friday!

FIXTURES:
1st Test: Chennai, Feb 5-9
2nd Test: Chennai, Feb 13 - 17
3rd Test (D/N): Ahmedabad, Feb 24 - 28
4th Test: Ahmedabad, Mar 4 - 8

1st T20I: Ahmedabad, Mar 12
2nd T20I: Ahmedabad, Mar 14
3rd T20I: Ahmedabad, Mar 16
4th T20I: Ahmedabad, Mar 18
5th T20I: Ahmedabad, Mar 20

1st ODI: Pune, Mar 23
2nd ODI: Pune, Mar 26
3rd ODI: Pune, Mar 28

Australian Telecast: Foxtel/Kayo

The first test between India and England in Chennai starts on Friday and will be particularly interested to see how England go.

IND:
Kohli is a pretty significant IN for the hosts. This side starts to look pretty scary when you come up against them in home conditions. I think Gill has done enough to hold his place as the opener for the first couple of tests however, Agarwal could come in for the back half of the series. With no Jadeja, India might stick with Sundar at no.7. Yadav and Ishant are both back around the squad so I can see them coming straight back in.

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Sharma
2. S.Gill/M.Agarwal
3. C.Pujara
4. V.Kohli (c)
5. A.Rahane
6. R.Pant (wk)
7. W.Sundar
8. R.Ashwin
9. K.Yadav
10. I.Sharma
11. J.Bumrah

ENG:
Bess and Leach have an important role this series. Both are known to release pressure though with bad balls which is something you can't afford to really do against the likes of Pujara/Virat/Rahane etc. You'd imagine Broad and Anderson will be alternated between tests to reduce work load with Anderson preferred for the day night test in Ahmedabad. Crawley looks in doubt with a suspected broken wrist at training yesterday and Bairstow has gone back to England so Root is likely to come up the order again at No.3.

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Burns
2. D.Sibley
3. J.Root (c)
4. B.Stokes
5. O.Pope
6. J.Buttler (wk)
7. M.Ali/C.Woakes
8. D.Bess
9. M.Wood
10. J.Leach
11. S.Broad/J.Anderson

Prediction: England might have a decent crack in the day/night 3rd test with Anderson hooping it but it's hard to see them challenging the Indians for the most part. For the series sake, I hope England put up a good fight.

Ind 3-0

Last edited:

The first test between India and England in Chennai starts on Friday and will be particularly interested to see how England go.

IND:
Kohli is a pretty significant IN for the hosts. This side starts to look pretty scary when you come up against them in home conditions. I think Gill has done enough to hold his place as the opener for the first couple of tests however, Agarwal could come in for the back half of the series. With no Jadeja, India might stick with Sundar at no.7. Yadav and Ishant are both back around the squad so I can see them coming straight back in.

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Sharma
2. S.Gill/M.Agarwal
3. C.Pujara
4. V.Kohli (c)
5. A.Rahane
6. R.Pant (wk)
7. W.Sundar
8. R.Ashwin
9. K.Yadav
10. I.Sharma
11. J.Bumrah

ENG:
Bess and Leach have an important role this series. Both are known to release pressure though with bad balls which is something you can't afford to really do against the likes of Pujara/Virat/Rahane etc. You'd imagine Broad and Anderson will be alternated between tests to reduce work load with Anderson preferred for the day night test in Ahmedabad. Crawley looks in doubt with a suspected broken wrist at training yesterday and Bairstow has gone back to England so Root is likely to come up the order again at No.3.

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Burns
2. D.Sibley
3. J.Root (c)
4. B.Stokes
5. O.Pope
6. J.Buttler (wk)
7. M.Ali/C.Woakes
8. D.Bess
9. M.Wood
10. J.Leach
11. S.Broad/J.Anderson

Prediction: England might have a decent crack in the day/night 3rd test with Anderson hooping it but it's hard to see them challenging the Indians for the most part. For the series sake, I hope England put up a good fight.

Ind 3-0

Made more sense when I read your explanation as to why you had picked that IX for England as I was scratching my head as to why Crawley was out. I also think batting depth is vital in India. They need 6 batsmen and Buttler at 7. They can use Root as a third spin option and Stokes as a third seamer giving them 6 bowling options

Made more sense when I read your explanation as to why you had picked that IX for England as I was scratching my head as to why Crawley was out. I also think batting depth is vital in India. They need 6 batsmen and Buttler at 7. They can use Root as a third spin option and Stokes as a third seamer giving them 6 bowling options
This is England though and if there is one thing they absolutely love to do it is stack their side with bowling options.

England are cricket's turd that won't flush. They can be utterly embarrassing one minute - hell they lost to my mob away and then dropped the first test at home in the return series - yet somehow find a way to bob up each year and win a series that they theoretically have no right to win. I love seeing them put in their place but they have a knack for not going quietly

England are cricket's turd that won't flush. They can be utterly embarrassing one minute - hell they lost to my mob away and then dropped the first test at home in the return series - yet somehow find a way to bob up each year and win a series that they theoretically have no right to win. I love seeing them put in their place but they have a knack for not going quietly
I think that's just a numbers game. A lot easier to redeem yourself when you're playing 50% more matches than everyone else.

Ordinarily I would find it hard to choose which out of these two teams I'd rather lose more, but have gained an enormous amount of respect for India this summer. Hope the euphoria of their win in Australia doesn't lead to complacency and an expectation that they'll just need to show up to roll England.

Ordinarily I would find it hard to choose which out of these two teams I'd rather lose more, but have gained an enormous amount of respect for India this summer. Hope the euphoria of their win in Australia doesn't lead to complacency and an expectation that they'll just need to show up to roll England.

I think the knowledge of 'hey these guys are all conditions cricketers and have some real ticker' make their likely home dominance a lot easier to tolerate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But it's true. They usually just have to turn up to roll anybody at home.

Didn't Bairstow fly home after the Sri Lanka series? Coming back for the 2nd or 3rd test?
That’s correct, he’s missing the first 2 tests. England has a policy of rotating players in and out of the bubble to allow them rest both physically and mentally. Jos Buttler apparently likely to miss the last 2 tests so you’d imagine Foakes or a returning Bairstow takes the gloves then.

That’s correct, he’s missing the first 2 tests. England has a policy of rotating players in and out of the bubble to allow them rest both physically and mentally. Jos Buttler apparently likely to miss the last 2 tests so you’d imagine Foakes or a returning Bairstow takes the gloves then.
I think Jos is actually missing the last 3 tests.

IND:

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Sharma
2. S.Gill/M.Agarwal
3. C.Pujara
4. V.Kohli (c)
5. A.Rahane
6. R.Pant (wk)
7. W.Sundar
8. R.Ashwin
9. K.Yadav
10. I.Sharma
11. J.Bumrah

ENG:

Possible starting XI:
1. R.Burns
2. D.Sibley
3. J.Root (c)
4. B.Stokes
5. O.Pope
6. J.Buttler (wk)
7. M.Ali/C.Woakes
8. D.Bess
9. M.Wood
10. J.Leach
11. S.Broad/J.Anderson

Ind 3-0

Joffra's playing too, so along with Stokes, that's two massive ins to counter balance Kohli's return. Siraj is very stiff to miss out, even if Ishant and Shami are fit. Very much looking forward to this. Should be a ripper of a series.

One good thing to come out of the world test championship is now I’ve got a vested interest in this series. C’mon England, do us a favour. You can hardly ask for a better preparation than a tour of Sri Lanka to warm up

After our efforts against a depleted India, do we really deserve to make the Test Champ final though?

hell no. There is a case for and against most teams aside from India who to me despite the hammering they copped in NZ probably deserve one spot IMO. But no overseas series wins in 5 years is a very damning figure for the Aussies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back