News Epic Barrett smack down of Ricciuto

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the last sentence:

Russo went on to state that emus, however, are just as goddamn stupid as they appear to be.

Yeah, although the most relevant line for me was "we cannot be certain what advanced skills they may be hiding, given that they can choose to act completely clueless and dimwitted in any situation they wish". See, it's all just a ploy! Lulling the rest of the comp into a false sense of security, then once they've underestimated us sufficiently, we will strike!

Goody says Lever isn’t on 800k a year... well, he didn’t leave for less than 650k a year that he was getting offered here. Contract could have been front or back ended and this year he’s on slightly less?
Actually, he said: " "The thing we probably need to make sure is right is that the term of the contract's not right (that Ricciuto suggested) – the number's not right"

"Asked directly if Lever's contract was more than $800,000, Goodwin answered "no".

I'd say that means he is on $800k even and the duration of the contract is 4 years not 5. These journos have a lot to learn when it comes to asking questions.

What a load of crap. If it was up to u we would have the most vanilla, unopinionated footy club in the comp. Roo has his back to the wall somewhat and has decided to speak up, stand up and push back. Just because the majority of the Vic media doesn’t like what he said doesn’t necessarily make what he’s saying is a bad thing. Let him be more honest, let him stand up and push back in the media. Despite a bad few years we are still the powerhouse SA club and we need to act like it. We need a strong presence to speak for our footy club and you don’t have to always agree with his opinion....a lot of Pie supporters thing Eddie is an idiot but is a strong symbol of the footy club.
Get behind him IMO. Fire up Roo

We're only a powerhouse of SA football because of how weak it is. Not because we are a well ran club. We're that poorly ran that Port now think they have an opportunity to get out of the basement*.

Eddie is a strong symbol at the pies because behind his media presence, there is a well ran club. One the shining examples of what football teams should strive for (alongside Hawks, Eagles, Cats and Sydney).

Roo cannot be that symbol of strength because he has overseen disaster after disaster in the past few years. Hiring Burton, collective minds, the camp, players leaving, and now the 1.5 mil we had to pay out to get rid of the people he put there initially. He's woefully out of his depth and he doesn't have the sense to keep quiet. Instead he feels like showing it to the AFL world how out of his depth he is.

Roo doesn't deserve support, or anyone to get behind him. He deserves to be ousted.

*never underestimate how much Port looking semi competent causes change at Adelaide.

Last edited:

So if Roo and Chapman don’t stand aside, what then?

The positions they hold mean there’s no one person above them to sack them.

Up to the board then to take action. Which means one or two people on the board need to take up the cause and sway others.

Is there such a person? Jamo?

Or someone else needs to come in from outside. Someone who has sufficient profile and trust to galvanize enough support for change - like Roo did at the time.

Who could do that...Macca? Bickley?

We're only a powerhouse of SA football because of how weak it is. Not because we are a well ran club. We're that poorly ran that Port now think they have an opportunity to get out of the basement*.

Eddie is a strong symbol at the pies because behind his media presence, there is a well ran club. One the shining examples of what football teams should strive for (alongside Hawks, Eagles, Cats and Sydney).

Roo cannot be that symbol of strength because he has overseen disaster after disaster in the past few years. Hiring Burton, collective minds, the camp, players leaving, and now the 1.5 mil we had to pay out to get rid of the people he put there initially. He's woefully out of his depth and he doesn't have the sense to keep quiet. Instead he feels like showing it to the AFL world how out of his depth he is.

Roo doesn't deserve support, or anyone to get behind him. He deserves to be ousted.

*never underestimate how much Port looking semi competent causes change at Adelaide.
Yet the media slant with the Lumumba racism issue is that it's all on H.

How does this occur, especially considering the multiple 'slips of the tongue' that Eddie has done in recent times, not to mention the issues their club fans have too.

So if Roo and Chapman don’t stand aside, what then?

The positions they hold mean there’s no one person above them to sack them.

Up to the board then to take action. Which means one or two people on the board need to take up the cause and sway others.

Is there such a person? Jamo?

Or someone else needs to come in from outside. Someone who has sufficient profile and trust to galvanize enough support for change - like Roo did at the time.

Who could do that...Macca? Bickley?
We don't need a past player. We need a succcesful, well loved Aussie identity who is a passionate Crows fan and has some semblance of knowledge when it comes to running a business.

Who is the Aussie equivalent of Bill Gates?

Actually, he said: " "The thing we probably need to make sure is right is that the term of the contract's not right (that Ricciuto suggested) – the number's not right"

"Asked directly if Lever's contract was more than $800,000, Goodwin answered "no".

I'd say that means he is on $800k even and the duration of the contract is 4 years not 5. These journos have a lot to learn when it comes to asking questions.
Maybe Goody should be more focused on getting his own house in order?

I thought that was a bit odd. On the one hand players are supposedly upset at having their salaries outed, but on the other hand the numbers are inaccurate, so therefore they did not actually have their salaries outed?

in terms of your relationship with team mates, if someone is going to guess your salary, you want them erring on the low side.

Mike Cannon Brookes, but he would have no interest in footy.
Tax evader expert Mike Cannon-Brookes?

That Mike Cannon-Brookes?

The only thing he has a real interest in is evading tax.

Beneath his baseball cap (a ponderous affectation if there ever was one), Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes proves, yet again, to be Australia’s most incessant poseur.
Cannon-Brookes gives $12m” and “Mike Cannon-Brookes’ renewables pledge for bushfire communities” went Thursday’s headlines.
“After a horror summer, many Aussies need our help to get their lives back on track,” the Hatted, Hyphenated One intoned via press release.
This was hardly an act of philanthropy. The money – coming from the Cannon-Brookes family investment fund – is an investment in solar and battery microgrids for which “there was likely a business case”, albeit one dependent on “the cooperation of the energy providers”.
So bushfire-ravaged communities without electricity access present the potential for the billionaire (and others) to turn more bucks? What a hero.
Foreseeably, all of this presented yet another opportunity for Cannon-Brookes to hold forth on Australia’s emissions targets (Fran Kelly lapped it up). They’re insufficiently aggressive, he decrees from Australia’s most expensive house.
Like he went to New York (on a commercial flight? Doubtful) in September for the UN’s Climate Action Summit, where Myanmar’s Environment Minister made him feel ashamed to be Australian. Myanmar! As in, the ecological catastrophe of south-east Asia. And no kidding, Cannon-Brookes then promptly took his family there on vacation. To breathe the particulate matter that kills 45,000 people each year or to observe the 10 per cent of marine life that’s survived? Through a spokesman, he declined to comment.
But what’s truly galling about Cannon-Brookes’ sermons, what grates most in his clamorous policy demands of the government he failed in May to un-elect, is his undersized contribution to the national effort.
Atlassian pays zero company tax to Canberra on greater than $1 billion of revenue booked here, thanks in no small part to its (welcome) use of the Research and Development Tax Incentive.

I heard Caro banging on about this on Footy Classified, but Eddie, Lyon and Lloyd all said that they didn't have a big issue with what Roo said and said that they liked the fact that he was honest.

I also think it's a storm in a teacup too, he basically just said what we all knew about the players who had left.

Lever and McGovern- left for money (Roo's opinion is that both are being massively overpaid) said that Lever was getting around 800k (Club believe that he's a 500k player) and McGovern 850k (said that he is not worth even close to that)
Cameron - Crows were desperate and were prepared to do whatever they could for him to stay, but we were tight with the cap and Brisbane offered him a massive deal.
Keath & Greenwood - both offered a great deals, club didn't want to match because they won't be around when the club is next challenging for a flag.

I'm always happy to give the club a whack if it deserves one, but in this case I don't have too much of a problem with what was said by Roo.

I do think that Barrett has valid points about the culture at the club, but in insolation Roo's comments weren't that bad.

What irked me was that Roo was speaking as a guy under pressure and defensively. Back foot stuff. Back foot because that is exactly what happened with the 'exodus' and the fractured existence that forced us to have a review. Chapman has presided over a decreasingly reactionary football club that is beyond his corporate attributes. I'm still just in Roo's camp but his stature is being flushed away with his media exposure. His delivery on our lost player woes should have been a solid positive for the club and not the negative padding he gave out. Did anyone see how uncomfortable his co-announcer Dittmar was ??? Man up in the club Roo. Take charge or move out into total media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of crap. If it was up to u we would have the most vanilla, unopinionated footy club in the comp. Roo has his back to the wall somewhat and has decided to speak up, stand up and push back. Just because the majority of the Vic media doesn’t like what he said doesn’t necessarily make what he’s saying is a bad thing. Let him be more honest, let him stand up and push back in the media. Despite a bad few years we are still the powerhouse SA club and we need to act like it. We need a strong presence to speak for our footy club and you don’t have to always agree with his opinion....a lot of Pie supporters thing Eddie is an idiot but is a strong symbol of the footy club.
Get behind him IMO. Fire up Roo

Which is your main account?

And then Jake's Dad's friend comes out and talks on national TV about his $, so what's the problem if everyone already knows about it?

It's not like Roo went and released information which hasn't already been mentioned (e.g. by Barrett, Manure, Gaskin, Caro) in the past.

Journos all love talking about how much players are paid, what's his issue? Just a quick google for examples:
Leo Gasking: JJ $550k
Sam Manure: Josh Kelly $10m deal
Sam Manure: Brad Crouch $1m
Sam Manure: Coniglio $1.4m deal

There is a substantial difference between media articles presenting speculation, and a board member providing direct knowledge.

I really have to disagree when people put Collingwood in the same category as Hawthorn, West Coast or Geelong. Lets be frank, they have won 4 premierships in 82 years....and just 1 in the AFL era. Compare that to Hawthorn and they really arent that great (they just have a loud mouth president).

Ricciuto is a leader who is completely out of his depth. As long as he, Fagan and Chapman are in control of the ship the AFC looks like such an amateurish organisation. Must leave asap.

I have zero confidence that our coming multitude of 1st round draft picks will commit to stay long term in a club that is led by this current rabble of a leadership group. They all must go by the end of this year and the new leadership acknowledges and is determined to fix previous errors.

Last edited:
Roo was a great footballer and loves the AFC. I genuinely feel he is doing his best for our club.

Problem is, his success post Football (media/hospitality industry) is based on nepotism, and his career in Football.

Peter Hurley set him up in the pub game and he is in the media (despite being a poor communicator) because he played footy.

He is not smart enough for the important role he has on the Club's Board.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

in terms of your relationship with team mates, if someone is going to guess your salary, you want them erring on the low side.
Didn't Lever create a few problems bragging about how much coin he was being offered, or going to earn. Maybe just another BF b/s rumour

I think you will find Walker wanted to give up the captaincy, have one season then retire.

Can you imagine what would have happened had Walker given up the captaincy and retired at the same time?

The only way this stuff re : camp etc is going to disappear is by winning a flag. Does anyone actually think that once say Roo and Chapman go that this disappears? Seriously people, we have become a whipping boy and no matter what we do going forward this stuff will hang around no matter who is in charge. Yes, Roo and Chapman can leave, but this sh*t will continue. Only a flag will remove it.

Another thing that can make the camp disappear is to demonstrate to the world that the club has changed and that can be done by our actions (a flag would be great but I cant wait 10 years). We need management to change so that those who have the responsibility to run the club will be held accountable. Actions like inclusiveness, good old fashion honesty, putting your hand up when your wrong and putting in place plans to correct the errors. A lot of that can be done through the media. Change from actions will help change peoples opinions of the club and it can be done quicker than 10 years. (someone on here has already suggested 10 years before we get a chance).

Take a look at the supporter base. I am pissed off with how the club wont hold senior management accountable. I pissed off how the club lies to us. I pissed off at how the club promises transparency and then with holds the details. Get rid of those that are treating the club like its their own toy. Get someone to stand up and come clean and then tell us supporters "this is the start of a new beginning" and I bet we would start to change our mindset about the club. Of course success on the field would help a lot.

So yes if Chapman, Roo and Fagan pack up and go I believe there would be an immediate change of attitude from the supporters. If we can see the changes happening so will the media.

Another thing that can make the camp disappear is to demonstrate to the world that the club has changed and that can be done by our actions (a flag would be great but I cant wait 10 years). We need management to change so that those who have the responsibility to run the club will be held accountable. Actions like inclusiveness, good old fashion honesty, putting your hand up when your wrong and putting in place plans to correct the errors. A lot of that can be done through the media. Change from actions will help change peoples opinions of the club and it can be done quicker than 10 years. (someone on here has already suggested 10 years before we get a chance).

Take a look at the supporter base. I am pissed off with how the club wont hold senior management accountable. I pissed off how the club lies to us. I pissed off at how the club promises transparency and then with holds the details. Get rid of those that are treating the club like its their own toy. Get someone to stand up and come clean and then tell us supporters "this is the start of a new beginning" and I bet we would start to change our mindset about the club. Of course success on the field would help a lot.

So yes if Chapman, Roo and Fagan pack up and go I believe there would be an immediate change of attitude from the supporters. If we can see the changes happening so will the media.

I don’t believe the removal of those three will make a difference. Yes, I want them gone but the narrative by the media will not change. As soon as we stuff up, bang! We have made a rod for our own back since believe it or not when Chapman became Chairman (since 2009). It has been downhill ever since.

You say how people treat it as their toy, well hello, welcome to South Australia and Adelaide in particular. It is this state in a nut shell, very insular, very old fashioned and resistant to change (do I need to name them - tram extension, Victoria Park, Adelaide Oval, RAH just to name a few). This city is incestuous.

And by the way, where the bloody hell is Rob Chapman. Hiding under a bloody rock?

Last edited:
I don’t believe the removal of those three will make a difference. Yes, I want them gone but the narrative by the media will not change. As soon as we stuff up, bang! We have made a rod for our own back since believe it or not when Chapman became Chairman (since 2009). It has been downhill ever since.

You say how people treat it as their toy, well hello, welcome to South Australia and Adelaide in particular. It is this state in a nut shell, very insular, very old fashioned and resistant to change (do I need to name them - tram extension, Victoria Park, Adelaide Oval, RAH just to name a few). This city is incestuous.

And by the way, where the bloody hell is Rob Chapman. Hiding under a bloody rock?
I always felt that, as a club, the AFC was always grudgingly respected for being a steady, well run organisation.

Sure we were never liked as such by the VFL media, but I know I always had a sense of pride that deep down everyone knew we were above all that, we were professional.

Those days are long gone - the club is embarrassing. The way they handled Andrew McLeod could not have been more indicative of an insular and arrogant management that has totally lost touch.

I always felt that, as a club, the AFC was always grudgingly respected for being a steady, well run organisation.

Sure we were never liked as such by the VFL media, but I know I always had a sense of pride that deep down everyone knew we were above all that, we were professional.

Those days are long gone - the club is embarrassing. The way they handled Andrew McLeod could not have been more indicative of an insular and arrogant management that has totally lost touch.

It’s amazing that people still support the club and make excuses for each and every **** up as if there’s no link between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back