Travel Expedia. Avoid them like the plague.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Long story short, these bastards have ripped me (and thousands of other people) off.

Its been a year and a half and multiple calls (of up to 5 hours on hold at a time) where they often just place you back on hold and then go home, leaving you there for a few more hours. No matter how polite you are (and its hard not to threaten to come down on them like the Hammer of Thor) they just drop your call.

There is no way to contact them personally, no emails that work, nothing other than a chat bot. its always some call center in the Philippines where at best after being on hold for hours, you get told to wait 12 weeks for your refund, then nothing happens for that 12 weeks, and you call them back, and get told the same story.

Their instagram and FB pages are literally full of people with the same experience.

Firstly, do not use these pricks. If you dont trust me, check out the above social media accounts.

Secondly has anyone found any tricks or techniques with these bastards they want to share that worked? ASIC and the ACCC and Consumer Affairs arent much chop, and while Im aware of a class action by Slater and Gordon, Im at the point that I'll likely be commencing legal proceedings myself (am a Lawyer IRL, and our minor case claims are zero costs so screw it I might as well).

Share horror stories here, and tips to get your damn money back from these swindlers.

Otherwise, consider this a therapeutic vent.

I didn't look at the social media accounts but I had a look at the reviews on Google. Average 1.5 stars out of 5.

Ive avoided them in the past because of reviews

Yet I use Hotels,com and have been very happy and it seems they are the same company ?????

Have you made a song and dance on their Facebook page? They seem to be assisting those who do.

You're not wrong though, I clicked on their Facebook page and every comment/post is angry customers.

Long story short, these bastards have ripped me (and thousands of other people) off.

Its been a year and a half and multiple calls (of up to 5 hours on hold at a time) where they often just place you back on hold and then go home, leaving you there for a few more hours. No matter how polite you are (and its hard not to threaten to come down on them like the Hammer of Thor) they just drop your call.

There is no way to contact them personally, no emails that work, nothing other than a chat bot. its always some call center in the Philippines where at best after being on hold for hours, you get told to wait 12 weeks for your refund, then nothing happens for that 12 weeks, and you call them back, and get told the same story.

Their instagram and FB pages are literally full of people with the same experience.

Firstly, do not use these pricks. If you dont trust me, check out the above social media accounts.

Secondly has anyone found any tricks or techniques with these bastards they want to share that worked? ASIC and the ACCC and Consumer Affairs arent much chop, and while Im aware of a class action by Slater and Gordon, Im at the point that I'll likely be commencing legal proceedings myself (am a Lawyer IRL, and our minor case claims are zero costs so screw it I might as well).

Share horror stories here, and tips to get your damn money back from these swindlers.

I can't say for certain but my wife's credit card was charged by this group or similar dodgy group. She had used their services once and 12 months later, a dodgy amount appeared on her card.

We ended up getting this remedied through the bank as it was impossible to get a solution through the dodgy group.

I don't use Expedia, wotif, bookings.com, etc

I will search them to find the best deal but then ring (well, I get the Mrs to) the hotel direct and state the package she is looking at and she does not like booking online.

Deals always matched and sometimes even bettered

Heading is misleading, as there is a section of the community that won't avoid the plague (or will label it some leftie / NWO plot).

Heading is misleading, as there is a section of the community that won't avoid the plague (or will label it some leftie / NWO plot).

"Well the plague mostly affects the elderly. The death rate of the plague for young people is actually..."

I will search them to find the best deal but then ring (well, I get the Mrs to) the hotel direct and state the package she is looking at and she does not like booking online.

hotels.com gives you an added 10% discount
1 night free every 10 nights
thats why we use them
gives us a free night in Brizzy /The Goldy or The Sunny before and after each trip.
you also get upgrades free breakfast ect. when you get more points

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That didnt work for me at all the last time I booked a hotel in the city- they told me to take the booking.com offer, they wouldnt even match.

That didnt work for me at all the last time I booked a hotel in the city- they told me to take the booking.com offer, they wouldnt even match.

Which hotel was that?

I've generally got a few 'go to' hotels in every major city courtesy of work travels, so often can snag a cheaper deal or some upgrades based on past bookings.

Crown's been really good with multiple bookings that we haven't been able to use over the past year and a half, seems every deals been better than the last.

Which hotel was that?

I've generally got a few 'go to' hotels in every major city courtesy of work travels, so often can snag a cheaper deal or some upgrades based on past bookings.

Crown's been really good with multiple bookings that we haven't been able to use over the past year and a half, seems every deals been better than the last.
Grand Chancellor.

Iirc has also occurred with a couple of other hotels, but i wouldnt be able to recall who.

Grand Chancellor.

Iirc has also occurred with a couple of other hotels, but i wouldnt be able to recall who.

That's unusual.

Grand Chancellor has always been the hotel I use most on business travels to Melbourne (occassionally The Pullman at Albert Park if GC was booked out).
Used to use the upstairs rooms for Product Showings\Road Shows and didn't mind the restaurant downstairs.

A short stroll through the laneway into China Town and not too long a wander to Lygon Street either

It's been a couple of years since I've given up the road trips\travel so maybe not as user friendly as they were now.

Last edited:
That's unusual.

Grand Chancellor has always been the hotel I use most on business travels to Melbourne (occassionally The Pullman at Albert Park if GC was booked out).
Used to use the upstairs rooms for Product Showings\Road Shows and didn't mind the restaurant downstairs.

A shirt stroll through the laneway into China Town and not too long a wander to Lygon Street either

It's been a couple of years since I've given up the road trips\travel so maybe not as user friendly as they were now.
How good is the roof top pool.

1) complain to your bank. Visa or Mastercard will cut them off and cripple them.
2) write to your consumer protection in your state
3) speak to your lawyer abd place them into administration. if you write to them and they do not dispute your position, exercise your right for wind up of the company. I did this to Telstra and amazingly they suddenly repaid what was owing to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back