Failing to capitalise on our entry into fwd 50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think our biggest issue is the effectiveness of our ball movement up fwd and converting those entries up fwd into goals.

For starting having players like Crocker up there doesn't help for a start. If Fas doesn't come in for him next week I will be fuming.

We seem to have no problem getting the ball forward but then it again and again falls to s**t.

I think that this is a part of the game plan that needs to be fixed.

I think we are lacking the cattle at the moment to be effective up forward.

Granted Moore and Phillips both going down would have hurt but to me this is THE glaring part of our game that needs to be fixed.

I think our biggest issue is the effectiveness of our ball movement up fwd and converting those entries up fwd into goals.

For starting having players like Crocker up there doesn't help for a start. If Fas doesn't come in for him next week I will be fuming.

We seem to have no problem getting the ball forward but then it again and again falls to s**t.

Granted Moore and Phillips both going down would have hurt but to me this is THE glaring part of our game that needs to be fixed.
Well said.
Bravo.
Too many unskilled forwards that either aren’t dangerous enough (Crocker, Brown, Blair, Mayne) or fragile (Moore, Reid).

Lets see if this becomes a trend over the next 2 weeks against opponents who should allow a more free flowing game.

We have been much better at this over the last 5-6 weeks.
This week we came up against an incredibly good defensive side who always seemed to get 1 or 2 guys free behind the ball.

We should've been better at either going for quick entries before they got back, or become much more patient once they did and not settled for shots from the pocket/flank.
How much of that was because Geelong was just so good defensively, how much was our midfielders rushing because of this, and how much was due to our forwards not running enough for each other to try to create space?
This game looked like we fell back into the bad habits of the last few years - but its definitely not how we've played over the last month.

I think we only need minor improvements and we would beat both St Kilda and the Bulldogs.
If these struggles continue against those team - then we can start to ask the bigger questions.

Last edited:
Picking Fas instead of Crocker would have helped

Cox is an issue..

I'd understand his role if he were a 3rd tall forward option we bought in from time to time.. or that second tall we opted for.

He takes a couple of nice grabs up forward and we rate him? Can't kick goals beyond 50.. can't snap em from general play.. can't kick em from the boundary. Has he ever kicked a banana? How the hell do we rate this bloke.

Yep, Poor use of the ball I50 - knew it wouldn't last.
DE is killing us
Team defense is another
Continuity
Disconnect between the coaches box and the playing group
Soft tissue injuries are a thorn in our side (get it? side lol)

Can't wait for this year to be over, roll on 2018 that'll be our year!

Oh wait!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox is an issue..

I'd understand his role if he were a 3rd tall forward option we bought in from time to time.. or that second tall we opted for.

He takes a couple of nice grabs up forward and we rate him? Can't kick goals beyond 50.. can't snap em from general play.. can't kick em from the boundary. Has he ever kicked a banana? How the hell do we rate this bloke.
Why can't cox kick the ball longer than 40 metres? It's a massive issue!

Why can't cox kick the ball longer than 40 metres? It's a massive issue!

Among other things.

We need a big forward that can do it all.. then I'd be all for Cox as a second tall if we need him in certain games.

Look he's got some good aspects to his game.. but using him as a primary target is not doing the side justice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back