Roast Fans' treatment of umpire Troy Pannell

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next in the AFL bag of tricks will be to claim that the umpire is gay and everyone who booed is guilty of a hate crime and will fine the club etc etc

This isn't an umpire competency issue... This is a human issue. His performance has zero to do with how he was treated by the people in the stands when he was lying incapacitated, helpless and vomiting on the ground...

Only in your ridiculous fantasy land where you think it was directed at Troy Pannell the person, not Troy Pannell's "performance".

There's a dude on the deck spewing and clearly not moving, and a bunch of other people bronx cheering this fact.

Unless Pannell had actually shot a man before this, there's no exoneration in the context. At all.

Maybe I'm too much of a hardened cynic, but he only started spewing after he was asked if he felt sick

I wasn't there at the game, however, I saw the game on the telly. I know I would have bood him specifically with his and his team's unacceptable performance in mind. It's interesting why people (myself included) would feel like booing in that moment. I'm guessing that the message is something like "We are angry at you. You have lost our respect. If you rob us of our fair money by favouring another team then people won't care about you if you get hurt, so learn from it".

Would I be right to say that's the mindset? I could be wrong. Just a theory.

I also know that I'm a caring and gentle person in reality. I do hate seeing any person or creature get hurt (like 98% of the population does, too). My boos would surely have been accompanied by words to the effect of "I hope he's ok. I don't want him to be hurt but he needs to know it's not good enough". Harsh, but a ntaural thought process.

Does that make it right? A lot of people would say no, but that's how I rationalise it.

What disappoints me about this is that nothing good will come of it. The umpiring body will learn nothing about how unacceptable umpiring causes damage and disrespect to their industry and the fans and Essendon will probably be disfavoured even more, and by extension behaving this way again and again. If both parties, umpires especially, resolved to acknowledge that (even if they strongly condemn the booing of Pannell) serious mistakes led to poor fan satisfaction, it might actually help create a dynamic where people start to let go of their anger and therefore improve their behaviour.

But as if that would ever happen.

You know what really stings about this behavior? It's that I am wearing the same colours as you and as such I am immediately identified with you if your behavior is undignified whilst wearing our colours. You have a responsibility to represent our club, as a supporter, in a way that supports the values of our club which I can assure you do not include sticking the boots into those who are down.

I strongly disagree with this notion and I feel it is not your place to say what responsibilities other members have when it comes to their (legal) behaviour. I would turn it back on you and say if you don't feel comfortable being "identified", as you put it, with other fans whose behaviours you disagree with then you don't understand fan diversity and really aren't in touch with what it means to be tolerant of any club community or social group where not everyone is like you. In summary, if it bothers you so much, turn your membership in and become a member of the Opals, because you won't get what you want with football.

How would you feel if it was your brother/son/boyfriend/husband that was down like that? How would you feel knowing that they are on the ground, throwing up and in a really bad way? How would you feel knowing that 40, 000 people are booing him whilst he is in serious pain?

Would you laugh that he went down due to the nature of the collision? Or would you be worrying sick that someone you love is in serious pain, umpiring a game of footy?

Sure, he was killing us when he was on, but it doesn't change the fact that no fellow human deserves to be treated that way. Believe it or not, he would have had people who love him feeling like complete s**t after it happened, and even worse when 40, 000 people are booing him.

I agree but once the crowd realised he was injured they were more into giving it to the player that ran into him and how its karma for the number of gifts the Swans had received.

I thought the biggest boos were for Tippet when having that shot after Hurls had his head knocked off and Goodes copped it a few times but there wasn't that much booing of the ump beyond the initial incident.

The other thing which hasn't been commented on which contributed to the booing was that play continued and we had to take the free kick from the back-line rather than the middle.

I agree but once the crowd realised he was injured they were more into giving it to the player that ran into him and how its karma for the number of gifts the Swans had received.

I thought the biggest boos were for Tippet when having that shot after Hurls had his head knocked off and Goodes copped it a few times but there wasn't that much booing of the ump beyond the initial incident.

The other thing which hasn't been commented on which contributed to the booing was that play continued and we had to take the free kick from the back-line rather than the middle.
What free kick? We just got the ball because we had it when they stopped play. There's never been a free for umpire contact.

What free kick? We just got the ball because we had it when they stopped play. There's never been a free for umpire contact.

Thanks for correcting that, I was aware play-on had been given and that I think contributed to the booing for by the time play had stopped the ball had gone all the way down field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look. The umpires were s**t on the day. I'm happy to boo a poor decision (more likely a string of poor decisions), but I don't wish the bloke harm and in no way would I boo the bloke once he was down.

Umpiring is a s**t of a job, and yes the performance in the game on Friday was putrid. However my first and only thought once he was knocked down and clearly in a bad way was 'geez I hope the bloke is alright'.

Doesn't mean I don't think he did a piss poor job, but hey, everyone has a bad day at the office.

Glad Doc Reid and the rest of the staff were on it in a flash - he was in good hands.

This is not about the bloody umpiring. It's about taking satisfaction out of seeing a bloke unmoving on the ground after a head knock.

Of course it's about the bloody umpiring!!!

What do you think it's about, tens of thousands of people who go about their daily lives getting their jollies off people being injured?

God this type of reaction makes me laugh.

FFS... understand this: In the scheme of society and life, nothing about football is sensible, logical, civilised or humane.

People are born into it. They support and hate with tremendous passion one group of men over another; neither of whom they know in the slightest.

We go along to a game and scream and gesticulate like maniacs over something we have zero control over, nor tangible interest in.

All this is celebrated and lionised.

The kids on the field are told to absolutely destroy their bodies, risking life and limb, and disregard any sense of self protection or instinct all in the name of winning the ball. If they don't do it, just once in what might be a 10 year career, they're completely crucified by the entire public and the ********s in the media. Which of course is acceptable.

We turn these kids into gods. We tell them they're not allowed to have normal lives because they're well paid. We tell them they have to set an example for "children" barely younger than themselves. These are kids who are young, immature, naive, and possibly completely intellectually and morally moribund - they chase balls around a paddock, that's all we know about them.

This is the norm.

None of it makes sense. The competitors and spectators go into the stadium and are encouraged and celebrated for leaving sense in the car and acting like animals. The senseless passion and violence is what drives the whole thing. The umpires are villains, they always have been and always will be. Thus the reaction after the terrible performance they put in.

All football crowds are the same yet these days we get this ridiculous moralising from ********s in the media etc. Just get over it, if you're looking for sense, stay the * away from the footy. Stop ******* picking and choosing when you want people to act like animals (which is celebrated), and when you suddenly want them to flick the switch in a second and become angels.

We don't humanise anybody involved during a footy match, that's what is used to sell the whole *in soap opera and keep everybody on the gravy train.

Get anybody in the crowd in the cold light of day, of course they wouldn't wish injury on the man. But he's not a man during a footy match, he's an umpire and is encouraged to be treated as such.

You can't have it both ways.

Of course it's about the bloody umpiring!!!

What do you think it's about, tens of thousands of people who go about their daily lives getting their jollies off people being injured?

God this type of reaction makes me laugh.

FFS... understand this: In the scheme of society and life, nothing about football is sensible, logical, civilised or humane.

People are born into it. They support and hate with tremendous passion one group of men over another; neither of whom they know in the slightest.

We go along to a game and scream and gesticulate like maniacs over something we have zero control over, nor tangible interest in.

All this is celebrated and lionised.

The kids on the field are told to absolutely destroy their bodies, risking life and limb, and disregard any sense of self protection or instinct all in the name of winning the ball. If they don't do it, just once in what might be a 10 year career, they're completely crucified by the entire public and the ********s in the media. Which of course is acceptable.

We turn these kids into gods. We tell them they're not allowed to have normal lives because they're well paid. We tell them they have to set an example for "children" barely younger than themselves. These are kids who are young, immature, naive, and possibly completely intellectually and morally moribund - they chase balls around a paddock, that's all we know about them.

This is the norm.

None of it makes sense. The competitors and spectators go into the stadium and are encouraged and celebrated for leaving sense in the car and acting like animals. The senseless passion and violence is what drives the whole thing. The umpires are villains, they always have been and always will be. Thus the reaction after the terrible performance they put in.

All football crowds are the same yet these days we get this ridiculous moralising from ********s in the media etc. Just get over it, if you're looking for sense, stay the **** away from the footy. Stop ******* picking and choosing when you want people to act like animals (which is celebrated), and when you suddenly want them to flick the switch in a second and become angels.

We don't humanise anybody involved during a footy match, that's what is used to sell the whole ****in soap opera and keep everybody on the gravy train.

Get anybody in the crowd in the cold light of day, of course they wouldn't wish injury on the man. But he's not a man during a footy match, he's an umpire and is encouraged to be treated as such.

You can't have it both ways.
It is unacceptable to boo a bloke who has been knocked out, irrespective of context. Being passionate about the football, your team and your players is not mutually exclusive from common sense. Just because you yourself are incapable of both simultaneously, does not make it so.
It is utterly disgraceful.

It is unacceptable to boo a bloke who has been knocked out, irrespective of context. Being passionate about the football, your team and your players is not mutually exclusive from common sense. Just because you yourself are incapable of both simultaneously, does not make it so.
It is utterly disgraceful.

It's not about what's acceptable and unacceptable. It's reality. This is what happens. With any villain on the field.

I don't know why anybody gives a s**t and tries to make out like it's some reflection on us.

I didn't boo him btw.

Next time something like this happens, i will only be satisfied if there is 1:05 minutes silence that starts 5 seconds before the guy gets hit. A golf clap when the umpire is stretchered off. Then a gold coin donation to the umpires charity of choice. Nothing less!

It's not about what's acceptable and unacceptable. It's reality. This is what happens. With any villain on the field.

I don't know why anybody gives a s**t and tries to make out like it's some reflection on us.

I didn't boo him btw.
Obviously it is reality, it happened. But reality can and should change in the future for the better, hence why the topic should be raised.
And it is a reflection on every single person that did boo him.

It's time to close this thread, it has run its course. Feel free to read through this thread and take from it what you like, but we don't feel that too much more constructive arguments will be raised on this incident. You're welcome to boo me for closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back