Resource FAQs: Rules, Regulations and Resources for Player Movements in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
This thread will contain information about all the rules of drafting, trading and free agency that are relevant to the AFL.

We will also link to relevant resources both on bigfooty and around the web for your convenience.

Index

Threadmarks
This feature allows you to view a list of the posts which have been marked by a moderator, for example the start of a section or significant event in the thread.

It can be accessed at the top right corner of any thread where the feature has been set up.

The first option on the threadmarks menu will enable you to skip to the section of the thread which is most relevant to you.

You can also put the threadmarked posts into reader mode, which will allow you to view all of the threadmarked posts without the other stuff in between.

Once you are viewing a threadmarked post you can also utilise the arrows at the top and bottom of the post to jump to the next threadmarked post.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is a trade period for trading players, and there's a separate deadline for pick-only trades. You can still trade picks by themselves, for example one just went through a minute ago between GWS and the Bulldogs.

All I know about what happens with extensions and player salaries is from some of the articles floating around, for example this one:

But what we are seeing is there's actually no deadline for trading players. The Treloar one still isn't done.

Can other club come in now and say to the pies they will pay all of his salary?

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Treloar is a Western Bulldogs player, that won't change. The AFL will pay his wages regardless (as they do for all players).

It's just a matter of whose TPP it goes under in which year. They haven't gone to mediation yet, which if they do will mean the AFL makes a decision and its binding on all parties.

There's also a thread for that, we certainly don't need two about him.
Has it ever been publicized before, the salary cap payments by individual clubs (Treloar should get all his money - one way or another), (TPP) , were allowed to be negotiated weeks after the 'trade deadline'.

Is Adam Treloar the first time this fact has become public knowledge?

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Has it ever been publicized before, the salary cap payments by individual clubs (Treloar should get all his money - one way or another), (TPP) , were allowed to be negotiated weeks after the 'trade deadline'.

You could certainly make that argument, and the AFL has been known to play fast and loose with the rules and how they feel like interpreting them from minute to minute.

But I find it a bit too tin foil for my taste in this case.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
You could certainly make that argument, and the AFL has been known to play fast and loose with the rules and how they feel like interpreting them from minute to minute.

But I find it a bit too tin foil for my taste in this case.

I was just curious and felt like you may know the answer. . .

.btw thanks for the draft and future draft stuff it's appreciated - a rare case can even overlook u being an EFc supporter

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham, Bayern, Milan, Celtic

first time i can remember that one has become a soap opera after the fact.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Treloar being apparently paid 1.5 million dollars to not play football for a team does feel somewhat unique.

But I do wonder if the trade rules were made public prior to 5he last trade period.
Paying a portion of a salary to get the player off the books has definitely been done many times before, although it seems to contravene rule 9.4. 9.4 says they can't include money in the trade. So a club can't actually give money to another club as part of the trade, and that aspect is likely not included on the relevant forms. Seemingly they can give money to the player though (or more technically probably allocate TPP funding to the player via the AFL).

The way it might work is that the original club breaks the player's contract and has to pay him out 100% of the base pay that was in that contract, less any money he receives from another AFL club for the duration of the original contract. There's a rule that is similar to that, but it's more about contracted players being delisted, paid out, and then subsequently drafted to another club so that they can't double dip, so it doesn't specifically apply to this situation. In that case the original club is on the hook for 100% less whatever is in the new contract, and the original club isn't party to the new contract and doesn't really have a say (but might ordinarily choose to keep the player if the player's new contract is insufficient).

The player signing the actual contract with their new club usually doesn't happen during trade period either I would think, since they're mostly overseas or at least out of town (unless they have asked someone to sign on their behalf or something, but I feel like they probably would sign themselves in most cases as it's kind of a big deal). The jumper reveal photos are either photoshopped or taken in advance, before the player gets back to the club and does things properly.

It's a different situation but with the free agency thing, when a free agency offer is matched for an RFA they have 7 days to enter into an agreement with their current club under the matched terms or else the matched terms expire and they become a regular uncontracted player. So evidently the actual FA mechanism and the player signing a contract with their club are linked but ultimately separate events.

As for the actual rules, they specify that players and/or picks can be exchanged by submitting form 9 and 10. We don't have access to the forms but the forms are labelled as being one for the transferor club and one for the transferee club regarding the exchange of players or picks, so I'd say these are the two forms that have to be submitted by the trade deadline and which don't specify salary arrangements which can't be paid from one club to the other anyway. Which is exactly as we've been led to believe.

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 13.34.20.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 13.34.57.png

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Treloar being apparently paid 1.5 million dollars to not play football for a team does feel somewhat unique.

But I do wonder if the trade rules were made public prior to 5he last trade period.
The only reason it's unique is because clubs don't ordinarily trade players that have 5 years to run. Paying 300k per year for a player not on your books has probably been done before though.

Gavin Excell

Hall of Famer
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I just read this thread and the rules in place

Given its about getting 40 blokes on a list to play footy, it’s hard to believe how they could make it more complex than it currently is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad