Draft Profile Father/Sons & Academy Selections 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

So the nomination deadline for the national draft was yesterday... is there a list of confirmed names somewhere?

The AFL has today published this list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/afl-reveals-list-of-fathersons-and-academy-draft-nominees

There seems to be some inconsistency between the way FS and academy nominations are presented. Two father-son options are shown as rookie nominations only - ie the clubs won't be matching bids in the ND but may take them as rookies if they fall through the ND.

The same distinction hasn't been made for the academy nominations. I thought that once a club had nominated an academy selection (Northern or NGA) for the ND, they were obliged to put him on their list (as their last pick, if he doesn't attract a bid). But there's no way all those academy nominations are going to land up on a senior list (and many of them won't make it onto a rookie list either, even if they fall through the ND). I presume clubs have had to make a distinction between those academy players they will match bids on and those they will only consider if they fall through to the rookie draft???

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/afl-reveals-list-of-fathersons-and-academy-draft-nominees

There seems to be some inconsistency between the way FS and academy nominations are presented. Two father-son options are shown as rookie nominations only - ie the clubs won't be matching bids in the ND but may take them as rookies if they fall through the ND.

The same distinction hasn't been made for the academy nominations. I thought that once a club had nominated an academy selection (Northern or NGA) for the ND, they were obliged to put him on their list (as their last pick, if he doesn't attract a bid). But there's no way all those academy nominations are going to land up on a senior list (and many of them won't make it onto a rookie list either, even if they fall through the ND). I presume clubs have had to make a distinction between those academy players they will match bids on and those they will only consider if they fall through to the rookie draft???

Fair chance that permitted clubs take pretty much all their NGA kids as Cat B rookies if available, as clubs very rarely use up their 3 x Cat B rookie list allowances.

It's worth sticking these NGA kids on the Cat B list for 1 year just to see if they see any late development, traits more prevalent under the eyes of coaches day in day out they might not of seen and a development under a season in an AFL environment and exposed to VFL/state footy.

IF Crows bid on Issac at Pick 8. I would be happy for Collingwood to pass on Issac
I would love to see that.

Imagine Adelaide having to take Quaynor at 8 when they were only bidding to force Collingwood to pay earlier.

I don’t think it would happen, but I would love to see a club get lumped with a player they didn’t rate that high just to force an earlier match.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules_2018.pdf

Pages 72 and 73 have rules about academies, it says that we nominate the academy players before the National Draft, if they don't get selected in the National Draft we have the option to sign them on to the Rookie List before the Rookie Draft.

There is no obligation for us to take a player that we nominate, just as Father/Son nominations do not carry with them an obligation for the club to select that player. I certainly don't expect all of the Swans Academy players listed to get on to a list either at the National or Rookie Drafts.

I don't really see the point of clubs having to specify that some Father/Son nominations are only for the Rookie Draft. If they don't want to match a bid in the National Draft for them they can just decline to match it if it comes.

Last edited:
IF Crows bid on Issac at Pick 8. I would be happy for Collingwood to pass on Issac

Why? Quaynor is rated miles higher than any player in the 40s or 50s that you'd get instead. Sure he's not the 8th best draftee but Collingwood aren't giving up pick 8. The cost is picks in the 40s and 50s that surely aren't worth giving up Quaynor for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back