Favourite Lions V Pies game excluding the GF's

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So for this week I thought I would exclude the GF's against Collingwood because we would all choose them so outside of those two what's your favourite Lions v Pies game?

I fondly remember the game in 2010 at the Gabba with Fevola. Solid 4 quarter game with this ridiculous pick up and snap from Fev late in the 4th to seal the win.

So many to choose from, but my favourite four outside of our finals wins were:

1 - the game we wore our Fitzroy jumpers at the MCG in 2003:

2. The final ever game at Collingwood's spiritual home ground, Victoria Park, when we beat them very convincingly, which I know still hurts some hardcore Pies:

3. the Saturday night game in 2014 at the MCG (ironically the last time we beat them) when we beat them by over 10 goals despite being pretty average and Jono Freeman kicked 3 or 4 in his first game IIRC:

4. Our 2007 win when we beat them by almost 100 points, again at the MCG:

I've been fortunate to attend many wins against Collinwgood, inlcuding all of the above, our two GF wins and the game highlighted by Back2Back2Back when living in Brisbane in 09 and 10.

I fondly remember the game in 2010 at the Gabba with Fevola. Solid 4 quarter game with this ridiculous pick up and snap from Fev late in the 4th to seal the win.

I forgot about this. What an amazing moment

My most memorable game was at the MCG in Round 19 2003 where we wore the maroon Fitzroy jumpers. Was living in Singapore and was desperate to see the game, so 3 of us (including one Pies supporter) caught the ferry to Batam in Indonesia as we couldn't see games that year on TV in Singapore. We absolutely smashed them in the first half.

My most memorable game was at the MCG in Round 19 2003 where we wore the maroon Fitzroy jumpers. Was living in Singapore and was desperate to see the game, so 3 of us (including one Pies supporter) caught the ferry to Batam in Indonesia as we couldn't see games that year on TV in Singapore. We absolutely smashed them in the first half.
8 0 48 to 1 0 6 at quarter time I reckon. Think it was the first time the Bris Lions wore the Fitzroy jumper.

Who was the player at the end if the game holding the FFC monogram to the crowd? Voss?

That MCG game in 2014 because it just came out of no where, after losing by 100 the week before at the Gabba to Adelaide.

Was a false dawn though, lost by 10 goals in the next 2 games.

So many to choose from. Here are some I was at in order.

1. Round 1. 1979 - Fitzroy smash Collingwood at Victoria Park.
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1979/040619790407.html
Possibly the nastiest game of football I have ever witnessed. Ron Wearmouth “coat hangered” Gary Wilson in the opening minutes and the umpires lost control of the game as Fitzroy players tried to level up at every opportunity. Players were looking over their shoulders and there were more punches thrown than handballs. At quarter time Bill Stephen brought Gary Wilson back onto the ground on a stretcher and placed him at the heart of the huddle. After that Fitzroy IGNITED and delivered a brutal thrashing to Collingwood. David McMahon kicked six goals for the game on the Half Forward Flank because the Collingwood players were too scared to go near him. He was savage. I watched with my family as guests in the Collingwood Social Club, which made it even sweeter.

2. ROOS!

Very hard to go past this famous finish that instantly became part of the folklore of our club. I love the way that after moving himself from centre half back to full forward and kicking the winning goal with 11 seconds on the clock, Roos then runs to the centre and contests in the ruck. Paul Roos is one of our all time great club Captains.

3. Bernie Quinlan Kicks a Ton.

Another game that has become legend because of the achievement of Bernie Quinlan. Beating Collingwood was an added bonus.

4. Round 9. 1993 Fitzroy v Collingwood

We got off to an absolute flier here in the wet and ground out a strong win. My favourite game by Matthew Dundas.

5. Round 18. 1985 Collingwood v Fitzroy
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1985/040619850803.html
There was something special about beating Collingwood at Victoria Park and this was a great fighting win. I was watching this one on the Half Forward Flank, member’s side, city end. I wearing my Fitzroy scarf and foolishly referred the Collingwood crowd to the scoreboard after the first quarter. As the game wore on and Collingwood looked like they were going to win, I was copping it from a whole section of the crowd. In the last quarter when we hit the front, I moved.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back