Racing February Daily Punt: Willy Pike and the Great Sydney Adventure

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically - pacemakers we have

Pros
Truly run races where every horse gets its possible chance regardless of settling position - currently in many races half the field cannot possibly win
Less interference allowing for fairer results

Cons
A single horse isn't trying to win (not actually true - they can win if left alone in front); many horses every day aren't trying to win anyway
We dont see good horses have to overcome traffic - lel
Our prizemoney will end up like England - lel
Races become time trials - lel

Last edited:
There is also the inherent danger of both having loads of interference in tightly bunched races, and all jockeys angling for the same narrow strip of turf. Stewart is quite correct here, bias and tempo are blights on our racing, but authorities would rather distract us by showering money on mediocre horses with yet more pop up races or juvenile squibfests.

I fear it’s going to take a serious injury (or worse) to a high profile jockey before the industry takes any real notice.

There is also the inherent danger of both having loads of interference in tightly bunched races, and all jockeys angling for the same narrow strip of turf. Stewart is quite correct here, bias and tempo are blights on our racing, but authorities would rather distract us by showering money on mediocre horses with yet more pop up races or juvenile squibfests.

I fear it’s going to take a serious injury (or worse) to a high profile jockey before the industry takes any real notice.

Sadly even then they won’t care. There have been some horrific falls in the straight in Sydney in the last 12-18 months. Nothing done

But if bias + tempo normally suits leaders, isn't there a big enough incentive to lead?

The incentive to lead should be to win the race, not enforced by a jockey on a horse that says, this is the acceptable tempo for the rest of the field to string out and ruins that horses chances and/or worse causes injury to it.

We race on hard courses on tight circuits this is more a problem about that that anything else as it causes jockeys to want to ride tight, not get wide, stay in a pack. This hasn't changed since the days you speak of just the rose glasses on. Bias and tempo has been around for years it's just a better informed punting community now with easy coverage and more willing to throw opinion around. I believe it was Dom Beirne in the late 80s and 90s who was actively being censored by the states horse media outlets for saying track fairness was not up to standard.

We race on hard courses on tight circuits this is more a problem about that that anything else as it causes jockeys to want to ride tight, not get wide, stay in a pack
Some of the most farcically run races from a tempo and bunching perspective are down the straight at Flemington.

But if bias + tempo normally suits leaders, isn't there a big enough incentive to lead?
And we get what happens in the Rousseau race. A 30-1 pop jumps well, goes forward and leads, drops 13s sectionals around the Valley (because the horse is no good and it’s the only chance it has) and blows the race up for everything else, apart from the one jockey who shows initiative. That’s the reality of it.

As I said I just don’t bet on anything other than big races anymore because I got sick of that kind of crap. Happens too much in the big races actually, which is why a horse like Incentivise was such a breath of fresh air.

fu** pacemakers it's the biggest blight on Euro racing. Jockeys need to get their own sh*t together and not sit out the back while they walk along in front

Correct weight.

Jockeys can whinge and moan all they like. Take some initiative as Olly did on the weekend and go and win the race yourself.

Correct weight.

Jockeys can whinge and moan all they like. Take some initiative as Olly did on the weekend and go and win the race yourself.

Problem is we have been waiting for jockeys to take initiative for 10 years and then we clap and cheer twice a season when a jockey actually does. We have lost the battle - time to play the trump card and allow pacemakers.

Funny if you said that about the flu vaccine two years ago, no one would raise an eyebrow.

two years in and people still making the flu/COVID comparisons - that and the fact we are not allowing pacemakers makes me bigly question where we are as a society.

two years in and people still making the flu/COVID comparisons - that and the fact we are not allowing pacemakers makes me bigly question where we are as a society.

I'm not making comparisons to flu & Covid, I'm talking about peoples attitude to vaccination. If people prior to Covid said I don't get the flu vaccine because like Casey Ryback I'm scared of needles no one would have questioned it, with Covid they will. That's my point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not making comparisons to flu & Covid, I'm talking about peoples attitude to vaccination. If people prior to Covid said I don't get the flu vaccine because like Casey Ryback I'm scared of needles no one would have questioned it, with Covid they will. That's my point.

I'm pretty sure even prior to Covid people claiming they are afraid of needles was a laughable reason for not getting a flu shot. Almost as laughable as breaking up a marriage/racing mega group over being anti-vax like Allana and Sir William have done. Strange times even for lolperf.

It’s obviously running in Sydney as it’s been smashed in the Eskimo Prince but if it happens to come to Caulfield PAULELE is a ludicrous price. $2.90?!? Looks an odds on shot against the Vic walkers

Lol it was 3.50 into 2.90 in the EP in just this last 10 minutes!

Reasonably keen Prince Ragnar at 1.90 in 2nd at belmont. Cobbanco back to 1000m and a negative map is most likely unless he can muster. Vranyo pretty short and no money from a betting yard first up so far. Could see Prince Ragnar shortening significantly for any multis. Ocean Aura, Somethingready and field in the last could snag a good early quaddie.

Reasonably keen Prince Ragnar at 1.90 in 2nd at belmont. Cobbanco back to 1000m and a negative map is most likely unless he can muster. Vranyo pretty short and no money from a betting yard first up so far. Could see Prince Ragnar shortening significantly for any multis. Ocean Aura, Somethingready and field in the last could snag a good early quaddie.

Do you give Vranyo a chance? Love Carberry as a jock

Do you give Vranyo a chance? Love Carberry as a jock

No. This is a strong race and its starts last prep were just maiden quality. It can improve rising 3yo and come back at this level but I thought the trial was moderate at best. Looks an obvious drifter unless the stable step in to say its improved a fair bit.

No. This is a strong race and its starts last prep were just maiden quality. It can improve rising 3yo and come back at this level but I thought the trial was moderate at best. Looks an obvious drifter unless the stable step in to say its improved a fair bit.

Thanks appreciate it just love him as a jock have never been on and thought “jeez he could have done more” and I like that as a jock.

Thanks appreciate it just love him as a jock have never been on and thought “jeez he could have done more” and I like that as a jock.

He tries, only thing I could criticise him about is his hands are a bit heavy for leader/sprinters. They can travel a bit strong for him when they race without cover be it wide or leading. Great rider of stayers whom i treat similar to Pike, I would not be keen to chuck him on a horse like Vranyo unless riding it cold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back