Feds again reject sporting bodies access to phone taps

Remove this Banner Ad

I will declare i am for a republic firstly , hopefully the rest will follow. But people don't want to understand that a lot of republicans voted against the Proposal put forward by the Howard "conference" because of the way it was done . Should of been a referendam "Do you want a republic" yes or no . If the vote was yes , then there should have been a conference as to what sort of republic . Howard got what he wanted .

I will declare i am for a republic firstly , hopefully the rest will follow. But people don't want to understand that a lot of republicans voted against the Proposal put forward by the Howard "conference" because of the way it was done . Should of been a referendam "Do you want a republic" yes or no . If the vote was yes , then there should have been a conference as to what sort of republic . Howard got what he wanted .

A lot of people also wrongly assume that becoming a republic would only be a facelift for Australia, i.e. a change that won't really have much of an effect on how we run as a nation and how we govern ourselves.

Keating did a great interview where he explained the wide range of changes it would actually have for the betterment of the nation. Its hardly just symbolism.

Getting rid of a "Govenor General" (sorry drinking) would be a first step. Is there any other country that has a prosess where an unelected person can sack a Democrately elected Govt (except counties like Nth Korea etc)

Any other country where our elected leader swears loyalty to the freaking queen of england instead of the people of australia, and nobody even notices?

Any other country where our elected leader swears loyalty to the freaking queen of england instead of the people of australia, and nobody even notices?

They dont have to. Under Prime Minister’s Paul Keating, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard, the oath of allegience for ministers was changed from swearing an oath to Queen Elizabeth to;

I, (Insert name), do swear that I will well and truly serve the Commonwealth of Australia, her land and her people, in the office of the prime minister, so help me God

It's upto whatever the Prime Minister at the time wants to set it to.

Getting rid of a "Govenor General" (sorry drinking) would be a first step. Is there any other country that has a prosess where an unelected person can sack a Democrately elected Govt (except counties like Nth Korea etc)

Eh? Its a better safeguard than the American system. Look at the difficulty they had trying to impeach Clinton, look at the current shitfest they are having now with the supply bills.

And the Govenor General has disolved the government once in 113 years....hardly a frequent enough occurance to warrent a change in the system of government over.

Eh? Its a better safeguard than the American system. Look at the difficulty they had trying to impeach Clinton, look at the current shitfest they are having now with the supply bills.

And the Govenor General has disolved the government once in 113 years....hardly a frequent enough occurance to warrent a change in the system of government over.

It's actually a great example given the Whitlam government was dissolved over a supply issue as well. Without the GG doing what he did it could easily have resulted in a similar disaster to what the US has been having.

What is wrong when the people get the chance to vote on it - they did & Gough got the sars.

It's actually a great example given the Whitlam government was dissolved over a supply issue as well. Without the GG doing what he did it could easily have resulted in a similar disaster to what the US has been having.

Except there's a whole host of additional motivations for the British to remove Gough (mainly being that he was going to nationalise our mining industry).

I'm ok with a Monarchy, but only if its an Australian person like Shane Warne or the Daddo family or maybe that guy who plays Thor as long as he wears the costume at all times.

The British can go eff themselves.

They dont have to. Under Prime Minister’s Paul Keating, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard, the oath of allegience for ministers was changed from swearing an oath to Queen Elizabeth to;

I, (Insert name), do swear that I will well and truly serve the Commonwealth of Australia, her land and her people, in the office of the prime minister, so help me God

It's upto whatever the Prime Minister at the time wants to set it to.

Yes and Abbott swore to serve the Queen. Traitor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back