Fevola Trade Thread (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s the stall.

For the Fevola deal to go through Collingwood and Sydney need to get the Jolly deal done.

Collingwood are banking that Sydney are desperate to land fev and offering nothing more than pick 14, Sydney to date have put their position on the table and have not blinked that it will be 14 and a player of reasonable potential. Collingwood are calling Sydney’s bluff on not being totally desperate for Fevola but are Sydney bluffing.

Until this stalemate is broken the Fevola trade will be talk but no action.

The talk is that Sydney will on trade the pick for Fev. So what Sydney are saying to Collingwood is that Jolly is worth more than Fev.

I wonder who is in the wrong this time.

Here’s the stall.

For the Fevola deal to go through Collingwood and Sydney need to get the Jolly deal done.

Collingwood are banking that Sydney are desperate to land fev and offering nothing more than pick 14, Sydney to date have put their position on the table and have not blinked that it will be 14 and a player of reasonable potential. Collingwood are calling Sydney’s bluff on not being totally desperate for Fevola but are Sydney bluffing.

Until this stalemate is broken the Fevola trade will be talk but no action.

absolutely. We picked up Jolly at 2004 draft for pick 15. Now he's a ruckman in the prime of his career hence the hold-out. Don't blame Roos who's said all along that he's now a better player than then (certainly true) so rates a better deal than then. Arguable whether he was worth 15 at the time (hindsight being 20/20 you would say 'yes'). If Sydney maintain their convictions - bearing in mind Jolly is contracted for another two years - and are prepared to walk away from Fev, then it could be interesting. I'm actually reasonably impressed with our manner of trading - generally fair (where we can be), but at least honest and up-front.

absolutely. We picked up Jolly at 2004 draft for pick 15. Now he's a ruckman in the prime of his career hence the hold-out. Don't blame Roos who's said all along that he's now a better player than then (certainly true) so rates a better deal than then. Arguable whether he was worth 15 at the time (hindsight being 20/20 you would say 'yes'). If Sydney maintain their convictions - bearing in mind Jolly is contracted for another two years - and are prepared to walk away from Fev, then it could be interesting. I'm actually reasonably impressed with our manner of trading - generally fair (where we can be), but at least honest and up-front.

So you think Jolly is worth pick 14 and a player, but Fev is worth only pick 14.

Something tells me Sydney would never let a player leave unless the deal was 100% in their favour. See Amon. Now that is great in theory, but in future will see Sydney shafted in deals when players want to go to them.

Why Wouldn't Geelong Be Interested in Fev

Yes I know not going to happen! Yes Cats fan Fev is a bad man, we don't want him at Geelong, we don't need him just won the flag etc etc etc.

Putting all that aside the Cats have major salary cap worries, however by moving a few quality players & their contracts to Carlton in exchange for a cut price Fev (given the Blues are saying they will pay half his salary).

E.G. Wojinski, Kelly, Blake - not privy to their salaries but combined they would be a lot more than half of Fev. They are all replaceable players for the Cats. They would all get games at the Blues & all have a lot of finals experience.

Fev would be a devestating force for the Cats given their dominant midfield. For mine that would be a terrible result for the rest of the competition as the Cats would be near impossible to stop for 2 years.

The talk is that Sydney will on trade the pick for Fev. So what Sydney are saying to Collingwood is that Jolly is worth more than Fev.

A contracted, vitally important, no-off-field-issues Jolly is worth more ON THE TRADE TABLE than a contracted, many-off-field-issues, team-seeking-to-dump-him Fevola.

It's not that. 1:1 I'd say that a 80 or so per season goal kicker is a far more valuable get than a very good ruckman (not great, but certainly very good) who can go forward and also kick a few majors.

However, in this trade period, the goal kicker has baggage, is very expensive, and is being actively shopped around by his club who have made it clear that they want him out. This is compared to a ruckman who is still contracted to his club however if the right deal isn't made then they can walk away. It's not a level playing field. Sydney really have the upper hand in this deal and I hope we use it.

Re: Why Wouldn't Geelong Be Interested in Fev

Geelong have proven they can beat anyone and win Premierships with the team they have. Why mess with a proven winning formula?

So you think Jolly is worth pick 14 and a player, but Fev is worth only pick 14.

Something tells me Sydney would never let a player leave unless the deal was 100% in their favour. See Amon. Now that is great in theory, but in future will see Sydney shafted in deals when players want to go to them.

Schneider and Dempster for Pick 26.

Ted Richards for Picks 19 and 50.

Peter Everitt for Pick 33.

Henry Playfair for Pick 44.

Martin Mattner for Pick 28 (win in hindsight, but at the time seemed somewhere between equitable and in the Crows' favour).

Yep, we sure are renowned for screwing clubs over on the draft table!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Fevola's trade worth has no bearing on Jolly's value.

2. Jolly is a required player who we want to keep, Fevola is a player Carlton are desparate (supposedly anyway) to unload. Can you comprehend the difference?

3. The Swans strategy for trading is more open and fair than most other clubs. I wonder why Collingwood have never landed a big fish with all of the players they have targeted over the years (Stevens, Gehrig, Judd off the top of my head).

Kidding yourself if you think the Blues will pay 350k a year towards his salary. Besides if you get rid of three players for Fev you still have to draft 2 @ 60k a year to replace the other two. Also looks like Wojcinski will be pushed out regardless of anyone coming in.

Kidding yourself if you think the Blues will pay 350k a year towards his salary. Besides if you get rid of three players for Fev you still have to draft 2 @ 60k a year to replace the other two. Also looks like Wojcinski will be pushed out regardless of anyone coming in.

Simply going off what has been suggested in the media. There is no way they could possibly get rid of him without doing that. Point being the right 3 players moved on would get you to at least breakeven in the salary cap even including 2 youngsters/rookies drafted.

It is possible, apart from the obvious concerns about the quality of person in question. Putting that aside, purely from a football perspective would you want Fev at FF?

1. Fevola's trade worth has no bearing on Jolly's value.

2. Jolly is a required player who we want to keep, Fevola is a player Carlton are desparate (supposedly anyway) to unload. Can you comprehend the difference?

3. The Swans strategy for trading is more open and fair than most other clubs. I wonder why Collingwood have never landed a big fish with all of the players they have targeted over the years (Stevens, Gehrig, Judd off the top of my head).
Collingwood over-rate their list. Every year, they nearly get to the top (GF's in 2002, 03; prelims in 07, 09; finals 04, 06) & and every year it's said that Malthouse "does a great job with what he has" and "gets the absolute utmost from his list". Same comments. I agree with that, btw. BUT, they are not prepared to trade out of this.

As you saw in the qual and prelim - and slightly in the semi - the forward line structure didn't work. So when a gun FF is on the market, and their window of opportunity is wide open, they don't appear to consider a deal. 14 & Brown to me is a deal.

Geelong have proven they can beat anyone and win Premierships with the team they have. Why mess with a proven winning formula?

doesn't last forever mate. Hawks proved last year what a couple of good forwards can do

I agree Fev at Geelong would destory teams I have no doubt he would kick the ton. Geelong are clearly working overtime to keep their core group together. When you add Selwood and Gazza's next contracts to the issue it only gets harder.

With that in mind if half the list is being paid under the average to have ongoing success together it would only fracture the group if you bring in someone like Fev on massive money. ( look what the Brown rumours at Hawthorn are creating )

Plus it seem's Geelong prefer to try and develop their own players via the draft

Collingwood over-rate their list. Every year, they nearly get to the top (GF's in 2002, 03; prelims in 07, 09; finals 04, 06) & and every year it's said that Malthouse "does a great job with what he has" and "gets the absolute utmost from his list". Same comments. I agree with that, btw. BUT, they are not prepared to trade out of this.

As you saw in the qual and prelim - and slightly in the semi - the forward line structure didn't work. So when a gun FF is on the market, and their window of opportunity is wide open, they don't appear to consider a deal. 14 & Brown to me is a deal.
forget about brown, not going to happen and rightly so, fevs off field drama"s are a massive risk to any club, gee even his on field efforts at time are disgracefull, look at what he did to poor cam cloke in front of 40000 fans by not giving him a high 5 and making him look like a tool, even if cam is a tool you dont do that, to me that was worth a 2 match in house ban, shit like that can destroy clubs, the blokes a muppet, even his mother knows that so pick 14 and N. Brown ?, carlton can keep him, if his head was screwed on right he would have great trade value, but chances are any club that gets him will have to sack him, and thats a very high possibility IMO.

At the moment I would have to agree with the Sydney fans and say that Jolly does have more trade value. Not because Jolly is necessarily a better player, but because he is a required player at Sydney, Fev on the other hand is getting the boot which automatically depreciates his value.

Sydney are well aware of this fact and thus are trying to cash in, and fair enough, they are well within their rights. What irks me is if Collingwood don't bow to Sydneys demands and the trade does not go through, Carlton have already stated they will not trade with Collingwood, which effectively means this whole 'Fev is up for trade' has jeopardized the majority of the draft and blocked alot of players changing clubs as a result.

It also shows that Carlton were never serious about getting rid of Fev, because if they were so head strong on the fact they were not willing to put up with his antics, then they would ship him off to anyone regardless of who they consider to be 'their arch rivals'.

At the moment I would have to agree with the Sydney fans and say that Jolly does have more trade value. Not because Jolly is necessarily a better player, but because he is a required player at Sydney, Fev on the other hand is getting the boot which automatically depreciates his value.

Sydney are well aware of this fact and thus are trying to cash in, and fair enough, they are well within their rights. What irks me is if Collingwood don't bow to Sydneys demands and the trade does not go through, Carlton have already stated they will not trade with Collingwood, which effectively means this whole 'Fev is up for trade' has jeopardized the majority of the draft and blocked alot of players changing clubs as a result.

It also shows that Carlton were never serious about getting rid of Fev, because if they were so head strong on the fact they were not willing to put up with his antics, then they would ship him off to anyone regardless of who they consider to be 'their arch rivals'.

thats what i dont get, if fev was such a cancer on carlton surely they"d love nothing more than to infect us with it, i dont think they ever had any intention of getting rid of him, unless they got a super deal, look at what happened when fev nominated collingwood as his prefered club, the blues come out and say oh we dont want to deal with collingwood, yeah right, i still say i dont want him though, more for his onfield behavier than his off field troubles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back