Discussion Finals Series 2017: Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Every club besides the eagles, giants and dogs are geographically specific enough to drop the moniker reference in their official names IMO.

I'm happy for Brisbane Lions to use both, to honour/recognise the Fitzroy connection, but yeah... so many are completely unnecessary.

But the Western Bulldogs should just change back to Footscray. North Melbourne sounds so much better than Kangaroos.
It does, but they represent a much larger area than they probably did prior to the name change. Any change back probably risks alienating a lot of that.

It does, but they represent a much larger area than they probably did prior to the name change. Any change back probably risks alienating a lot of that.
Makes sense with North, Geelong, and Essendon surrounding them. Though I really don't like the sound of the East Side Hawks. :D

Any name that has a vague geographic location plus a "nickname" as the name is stupid. Western of what? Especially in a national comp, a team in Melbourne being called Western is a bit silly.
Same with the Southern Redbacks, Wests Tigers.
They should be an actual region or location, and the nickname should be after it or simply just a nickname.

Any name that has a vague geographic location plus a "nickname" as the name is stupid. Western of what? Especially in a national comp, a team in Melbourne being called Western is a bit silly.
Same with the Southern Redbacks, Wests Tigers.
They should be an actual region or location, and the nickname should be after it or simply just a nickname.
I agree I'd rather have Footscray but we have to understand the western suburbs of Melbourne was always the hard to get to ( until Westgate bridge) forgotten part of town that had to and still is taking in the bulk of the overseas immigrants so never had a settled 'middle class' to draw generations of long standing supporters. It is exploding with growth more than any part of the country, so the club is keen to tap into that market.

I agree I'd rather have Footscray but we have to understand the western suburbs of Melbourne was always the hard to get to ( until Westgate bridge) forgotten part of town that had to and still is taking in the bulk of the overseas immigrants so never had a settled 'middle class' to draw generations of long standing supporters. It is exploding with growth more than any part of the country, so the club is keen to tap into that market.
That's fine, but whestern where? Unless Bulldogs is a geographical location :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who ever wins this weekend should make their premiership guernsey next year have gold ( like the AFL premiership gold) where they each have yellow. It would look super and say "we are the premiers" like the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.
In reckon in hindsight the Bulldogs guernsey would have rocked this year if we went Gold or even silver where the white hoop is.

I have been sending in tweets to the Crows for them to post a video like this or a photo of the Guernsey with the 2017 GF logo on it.. still no post

Who ever wins this weekend should make their premiership guernsey next year have gold ( like the AFL premiership gold) where they each have yellow. It would look super and say "we are the premiers" like the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.
In reckon in hindsight the Bulldogs guernsey would have rocked this year if we went Gold or even silver where the white hoop is.
It'd be an interesting idea until Essendon won the premiership. They'd spend the next year looking like Richmond.

I always thought they should have gone for "West Melbourne" or "Western Melbourne" when they ditched "Footscray".
West Melbourne is a suburb that really has more to do with North Melbourne. North Melbourne and South Melbourne were their own cities adjacent to Melbourne city so the word Melbourne in our name would not have much relavance to us. Western Suburbs didn't sound right either. We always played at the Western Oval so just Western it was. Not as good as Footscray but better than all the rest.

Blame Steven Trigg. When we brought in our current logo, we also asked for our "official" name to be Adelaide Crows. Its seen everywhere there is an official usage, such as the footy record or the channel 7 scorebug. Even Patrick Keane's tweets never refer to us as just Adelaide.
A bit like how Geelong is no longer just Geelong, but rather 'Geelong Cats'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back