Society & Culture Finding money and what not

Remove this Banner Ad

efa.

This from the guy who was so depressed he started a thread about his lack of motivation in life, even leading him to question: "What is the point in life". :thumbsu:

Get your fact's right before you post, I never said any of this crap that I lack motivation in life, I never question what the point in life was, although it pretty easy to make accusations isn't it.

I made a thread about what the point in working for your whole life until your too old to enjoy it, which is why I'm not like you and live for the moment, so don't make up crap and as for my comment about this thread, I was just pissing all of you off because your all a sensitive bunch aren't you.

Probably shouldn't of said NTTAWWTy so i apologize if I offended anyone.

interesting discussion, in America it is standard practice and heavily embedded into culture that it is fine to take all the money in a wallet after returning the rest of the content you can't make use of, it is simply treated as a courtesy "fee" for getting your wallet back and not having to go to the trouble of cancelling and reapplying for all your cards.

Me personally I would return the wallet with everything in it 6-7 times out of 10. Since I'm a big prick and may perhaps even border on being a quasi racist, I would look at the I.D and if the person fits into any minority group I don't like (certain sub groups I categorize with these 4 standards: whites, blacks, browns and asians) I will subsequently make some sweeping generalizations as an excuse to ethically justify myself into taking the money although knowing full well there are decent legit people in those minority groups and my initial diagnosis is likely be wrong:eek:.

I know it may come back to me but I'll deal with it :D:thumbsu:.

Ok, i would take the money, cause after all the good deeds i do,
i get nothing in return, i would take the money and think to myself this is my pay check for all the good deeds i have done.

Get your fact's right before you post, I never said any of this crap that I lack motivation in life, I never question what the point in life was, although it pretty easy to make accusations isn't it.

I made a thread about what the point in working for your whole life until your too old to enjoy it, which is why I'm not like you and live for the moment, so don't make up crap and as for my comment about this thread, I was just pissing all of you off because your all a sensitive bunch aren't you.

Probably shouldn't of said NTTAWWTy so i apologize if I offended anyone.

This was your OP:

I'm getting sick of work, I'm not leaving my job but getting sick of this lifestyle that we all live. What is the point in life if we all have to work until we are average retire age 60-70. Is it just me or is something seriously wrong with this.

I think it's pretty fair for someone to comment that you lack motivation after reading that. Also my quote is a direct quote. Not a false accusation, so get over it.

The main point though is that you think it is okay to steal $2000, and the fact we make you sick for not stealing :confused:, seriously wtf?

If only you could lose a wallet with that much money someday, I'd be pretty sure of your opinion changing then.

I think it's pretty fair for someone to comment that you lack motivation after reading that. Also my quote is a direct quote. Not a false accusation, so get over it.

The main point though is that you think it is okay to steal $2000, and the fact we make you sick for not stealing :confused:, seriously wtf?

If only you could lose a wallet with that much money someday, I'd be pretty sure of your opinion changing then.[/quote]

why would someone have 2000 in there wallet.
except me of cause, im loaded

I don't even know where to start with this s**t.

Firstly, if you read it properly you would have realised I wasn't the one who brought up how you were raised. In fact I actually suggested that it is irrelevant - it shouldn't be considered. You shouldn't be excused for being a ****wit because of how badly you may or may not have been raised.

IF that somehow was relevant, working and earning more =/= being raised well.
There are a hell of a lot of w***ers in office jobs with a healthy pay packet. Some would have been brought up well, others not so much. Conversely there are no doubt people out there who have become successful after being raised by parents with questionable values and beliefs.

Lol don't get all personal like you know me.

Also, I wouldn't really consider it an achievement to have earned and worked more than an 18 year old, but carry on :thumbsu:

No it's not an achievement at all. Just like arguing with one who probably has no ****n idea of what it's like in the real world.

Thank **** not everyone in the world is as shallow as you

Bahahah! Again, it's like I'm a rapist or something. I'm not even intentionally going out of my way to steal money, but if there is a wallet by itself, I will go and pick it up, take the cash and hand it in. So shoot me. Some people don't even hand wallet's in OR take the cards as well.

I certainly consider myself superior to the sort of scumbag who can't see the problem with stealing money.

Scumbag :D Oh god :D

Drake=s**t bloke. The only reason it's a "dog eat dog world" is people like him who believe that it's every man for himself.

It is a dog eat dog world buddy. Luckily for me I've managed to find a medium - worked my way up the food chain and didn't let anyone stop me or tell me otherwise, but haven't ****ed anyone over so have still retained friends workmates & associates :)

We done with the personal s**t now?

This was your OP:

If only you could lose a wallet with that much money someday, I'd be pretty sure of your opinion changing then.

Yeah that was referring to working to your 60-70 like I said.
but forget it. It made a good discussion thread I thought.

but as for stealing $2000 dollars from a wallet, it could be classed as finding, not necessarily stealing- beside the fact I was deliberately trying to annoy you all, for my enjoyment as I said.

but yeah a sensitive bunch

Oh and here are some quotes from people in the "Battler finds 50k" thread

jonoman89 said:
i'd probably keep it

KardiniaPark said:
Take what you can get old man ffs

Runk Machine said:
I wouldn't have handed it in

Black Thunder said:
if i handed it in i'd definately take a bit of cash out

Forthwrite said:
I would keep it.

Dazb86 said:
Would keep

That's only the first 2 pages - but are they all pricks? :thumbsu:

Mate went to maccas the other week.
Spent 7.50. Gave a 20. Got 37.50 back.
Realised this. Said to the bloke "youve gIven me more"
Bloke ummmed and ahhhh'ed. took it back.

Ten mins later comes over as we ate in. Goes nah i stuffed up and blah blah blah (basically ****ed up more with his thoery.)

So 7.50 maccas coffee and bacon muffin, was a Profit 17.50 and bacon muffin and coffee.

So karma cant bite this bloke in the bum as he was in the right. Plus, the 2.50 he got as small change he chucked it in the Ronald McDonald house tin.

On another note, stupid me went to atm and took the receipt and left the 60 dollars there.
Was 30 mins til i realised i didnt have my 60 bucks.
Needless to say, never saw 60 dollars again did i. Even after asking 4 or five shops plus centre management.
s**t happens.

I've had enough.

Oh look over there, it's a wallet, I will go and pick it up, hey would you look at that, $2000 dollars in a hundred dollar notes, it smell's nice. "Or well", I will just hand it in to the police and hope that but some chance, that the owner will give me a little reward because I know how we are all so good and wonderful.:rolleyes:

You all make me sick. I'm taking the money and handing the wallet into the police. Stuff you. You can sook all you want but guess what, I've got a brand new 3D plasma and you haven't even upgraded to digital yet.:)

I'm with you Drakescoffecake. :thumbsu:

Keep up the good work,

You rich son of a Bi%ch :D

I've got a 3DTV too and I didnt need to take a metaphorical s**t on decent values to achieve it.

Also, you're struggling if you think a 3DTV is a good indicator of success.

I remember back when I was 11ish finding a wallet in the city (near botanical gardens) which had no money in it. Told my mum and she looked through it and turned out the bloke lived only a couple of streets away from us (SE suburbs) so on our way home we decided to stop by and give it back. Walked out of the car with my mum proud as punch that I'd found something of value to someone else and was doing a good deed, his daughters (20-25 years) answered the door and said "oh someone found Dad's wallet, thank you". Being 11 was disappointed I didn't get a reward I don't know why but I expected to get one from being so "nice".

I would always hand it in it just seems "the right thing to do" but obviously now would not be expecting a reward for my efforts though as long as they're appreciative. Would hate to go for all that trouble not to receive gratitude from the person you've done a service to. Finding money on the ground is a different matter; its all yours.

I'm not even intentionally going out of my way to steal money, but if there is a wallet by itself, I will go and pick it up, take the cash and hand it in. So shoot me. Some people don't even hand wallet's in OR take the cards as well.
Explain to me how removing somebodys personal property ( money ) from their wallet is not intentional, and also criminal ?

Fact is, if you were investigated because you handed the wallet in without the money, and your prints were the only ones on it, other than the owners, which they would be, because the money was in there when you found it.

You my little scummy, dirty thief would be arrested ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand one thing though drake. I can appreciate you're a ****wit and would take the money because it's a 'dog eat dog world' or whatever the s**t is you say to justify it, but what about when you go and hand it in? The guy obviously knows there was a 100 bucks in there before he lost it. What if he questions you? Do you then lie and say it was already gone, solely so you can have 100 bucks? Or do you then fess up like an idiot? You might say that taking the money is OK because he was stupid or whatever, but when you're lying to someone's face for the cash then clearly your morals need some work.

Oh and another thing. You say if you saw an old lady drop some cash you would pick it up and give it to her. However, a wallet you find could also be an old lady's. Would you feel any more guilty if you found out it was actually an old lady's wallet who had dementia that you racked 100 bucks from? Or do you check their ID and determine whether or not they're old enough or look poor enough to not take money from? What's the age limit, 60? 70?

To me your whole outlook just reeks of double standards and unrestrained selfishness.

interesting discussion, in America it is standard practice and heavily embedded into culture that it is fine to take all the money in a wallet after returning the rest of the content you can't make use of, it is simply treated as a courtesy "fee" for getting your wallet back and not having to go to the trouble of cancelling and reapplying for all your cards.

Nah that's not true. Like here, it just depends on the individual whether they return your wallet with cash or not.

I lost my wallet when I was working in the States. Dumbarse me left my wallet on the boot of my car when I was leaving my boss's place. Got home and couldn't find it, rang my boss to see if he had it and he said a black guy that lived around the corner found it on the road and gave it to him because he recognised the Australian drivers licence and knew he worked with an Australian.

The cash I had in my wallet was still in it but more importantly the dodgy green card and drivers license that allowed me to work there were still there. Seriously could have made love to that black dude after finding my wallet, proof that the stereotype about black people in the US being dodgy thieving bastards is a load of s**t.

Poor form by the OP.

As far as money left in ATMs goes 9 times out of 10 it will be an elderly person who leaves it and in some cases it may be due to a pre existing medical problem. Taking money in that way is just very weak. Would be more classier to just get a knife and go down to your local servo I think

Even so you're not really stealing from the elderly person you're stealing from the bank. If you leave money in the ATM you can lodge a dispute/claim and the bank will credit your account in most instances. They will not even investigate it if its less then $200 (depending on the bank the figure changes) because the investigation will cost more,

How about putting the shoe on the other foot drakes.

I remember many years back, my old man used to get paid in cash in a pay packet. At some point during running an errand after work he lost it somewhere. After he got home there was quite a bit of stress about the whole situation about it and fair to say my mum was quite pissed. But true enough, some old lady had found it, got in contact with my old mans work to get his phone number, rang him up later that evening to let him know she had found it. My old man went out, picked it up and gave her $100 for her honesty.

The next time you pick up a wallet or purse in the street. Even if it's $50 or something inside, that sort of thing could have a bit of an effect on peoples lives. They could be scraping by and depended on that cash a fair bit.

Have a think about it mate. Or are you too selfish and self-absorbed to even consider the effects your actions would have on others?

I remember many years back, my old man used to get paid in cash in a pay packet. At some point during running an errand after work he lost it somewhere. After he got home there was quite a bit of stress about the whole situation about it and fair to say my mum was quite pissed. But true enough, some old lady had found it, got in contact with my old mans work to get his phone number, rang him up later that evening to let him know she had found it. My old man went out, picked it up and gave her $100 for her honesty.

The next time you pick up a wallet or purse in the street. Even if it's $50 or something inside, that sort of thing could have a bit of an effect on peoples lives. They could be scraping by and depended on that cash a fair bit.

Have a think about it mate. Or are you too selfish and self-absorbed to even consider the effects your actions would have on others?

Seems like to much of a ******** to think about the other person tbh.

Found a bloke's wallet a couple of weeks ago.

Only had about $60 in it but was filled with shitloads of corporate cards etc.

He didn't have any of his own business cards in it so I decided I'd take it down to the police station and hand it in.

Station on Bourke street had a massive line and I only had 40 mins for lunch so I thought I'll do it later.

Then i decided I'd look up one of the companies he had a corporate card with on the internet. Got a number, rang them up and asked if he worked there. They put me through and I told him I'd found his wallet etc.

Guy was a prick. He expected ME to deliver to it to his office building. To which I basically said it's your wallet if you want it back you can come and get it. He said he'd meet me in my office building's lobby at a particular time so I went down there to meet him. Prick was 15 mins late, rude and didn't even really say thanks.

In future I'll be pocketing the money and leaving the wallet for someone else to worry about. Seriously pissed me off.

When my dad lost his wallet, someone rang up and said they found it. Dad asked what he drank and got him a slab of beers to say thanks.

Not exactly related to the thread title, but last Friday my bank's ATM was giving out fifties instead of twenty dollar notes. Naturally, I realised that the bank would eventually correct the error and the extra $30 would be taken from my account balance.

So, it would be moronic to attempt to steal money, right? Wrong. People were withdrawing huge amounts and pocketing the difference. The only problem is that banks aren't stupid and they'll just adjust your account balance as soon as they find out.

Last Monday I saw a guy who was bragging about his "stolen" $400 on the Friday and he said his account was now overdrawn by $200. I couldn't stop laughing to myself. Some people are idiots.

In future I'll be pocketing the money and leaving the wallet for someone else to worry about. Seriously pissed me off.

Nah, dude, you did the right thing. The fact the guy was an enormous ******** doesn't change the rightness of your actions.

For all you know, next time you find a wallet, the recipient could be a person in the mould of your father, an all round great guy. Imagine if you'd nicked the money of a guy like that?

I don't understand one thing though drake. I can appreciate you're a ****wit and would take the money because it's a 'dog eat dog world' or whatever the s**t is you say to justify it, but what about when you go and hand it in? The guy obviously knows there was a 100 bucks in there before he lost it. What if he questions you? Do you then lie and say it was already gone, solely so you can have 100 bucks? Or do you then fess up like an idiot? You might say that taking the money is OK because he was stupid or whatever, but when you're lying to someone's face for the cash then clearly your morals need some work.

I have only ever found 1 wallet in my life. When I found said wallet I drove 20 minutes to drop it off at his place. I left it under his doormat and put a note on the door. That is the best way to do it - or put it in the letterbox.

A lot of the do-gooders who return the wallet directly to the owner are expecting some kind of reward anyway - which makes them just as selfish. I mean, if you were only doing it out of the goodness of your heart, then why not just drop it on their doorstep or in their letterbox? Why do you need the acknowledgement from them? Oh, would it be that you may get something out of it? IE a money reward? :rolleyes:

Oh and another thing. You say if you saw an old lady drop some cash you would pick it up and give it to her. However, a wallet you find could also be an old lady's. Would you feel any more guilty if you found out it was actually an old lady's wallet who had dementia that you racked 100 bucks from? Or do you check their ID and determine whether or not they're old enough or look poor enough to not take money from? What's the age limit, 60? 70?

Haha it's different if I physically see someone drop their wallet. Like a few months ago I saw a guy drop 10 at the TAB and told him he'd done so. It's only when there is money by itself with no one in sight.

Confirmed he was a scumbag when he said having his phone was more important than remembering to fill his dog's water bowl.

They had plenty of water inside, but I forgot to top it up outside. God you're a moron :eek:

I have zero sympathy for people who lose valuables. It is not hard to keep your phone, wallet, keys or any other valuables secure. It is plain stupidity and carelessness that leads to the loss of possessions. I would return things to people if said things were of extreme value to the person, and have done so before - I even picked up a stray dog one winters night and did ring arounds until I found the owner :thumbsu:

How many of you can say you've done that? As a matter of fact I'd bet a number of you have seen a dog by itself and not even thought of stopping. I mean, why not? A pet is a lot more valuable to an owner than money. So come on be honest, who has driven straight past a dog that was alone?

And what about finding money on the street? Do you go out of your way to find out who's the rightful owner of the cash? If not, why not?

Seems like to much of a ******** to think about the other person tbh.

You contribute quality posts :thumbsu:

I have only ever found 1 wallet in my life. When I found said wallet I drove 20 minutes to drop it off at his place. I left it under his doormat and put a note on the door. That is the best way to do it - or put it in the letterbox.

A lot of the do-gooders who return the wallet directly to the owner are expecting some kind of reward anyway - which makes them just as selfish. I mean, if you were only doing it out of the goodness of your heart, then why not just drop it on their doorstep or in their letterbox? Why do you need the acknowledgement from them? Oh, would it be that you may get something out of it? IE a money reward? :rolleyes:

It's called basic human interaction - usually the best way to communicate with someone is face to face. If I rock up with their wallet and see the car parked in the drive, why wouldn't I knock on the door and give it to them? It gives them the opportunity to say thanks in person, and I also feel better for seeing their appreciation. Of course I'd be hoping for a small reward as well, who wouldn't - but I also wouldn't get pissed off if they decided not to give me one.

Obviously the reason you would drop it in the letterbox is because you wouldn't have the guts to speak to someone after just stealing their money. Clearly there is no other reason.

And you know why you don't have the guts? Because you know what you are doing is the wrong thing.

Haha it's different if I physically see someone drop their wallet. Like a few months ago I saw a guy drop 10 at the TAB and told him he'd done so. It's only when there is money by itself with no one in sight.

Yeah you said that before. That's not what I asked you though. I repeat, would you feel any more guilty if you found out it was actually an old lady's wallet who had dementia that you racked 100 bucks from?

I have zero sympathy for people who lose valuables. It is not hard to keep your phone, wallet, keys or any other valuables secure. It is plain stupidity and carelessness that leads to the loss of possessions. I would return things to people if said things were of extreme value to the person, and have done so before - I even picked up a stray dog one winters night and did ring arounds until I found the owner :thumbsu:

I don't have much sympathy for these people either. I realise it's not hard to keep valuables secure, and yes, it is usually just extreme carelessness that leads to the loss of possessions. I don't think anyone would argue against that However, this is not what the debate is about. Their stupidity is irrelevant to the actions you can now take. Why not choose the option where you're a kind, selfless and considerate person, rather than a ****wit? The decisions that you make reflect who you are as a person.

You contribute quality posts :thumbsu:

923e648b2f443b6c763c96f96277c8cb0320d3f8_m.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back