Review First Preliminary Final, 2017: Box Hill Hawks v Richmond Tigers, 16 September 2017, 2.40pm @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a natural progression. It has nothing to do with women's league. The VFL is on its way out. The AFL will have its teams have reserve sides.

The reserve sides dissapeared due to money. This is no longer an issue. This is just the first step.

Its a natural progression. It has nothing to do with women's league. The VFL is on its way out. The AFL will have its teams have reserve sides.

The reserve sides dissapeared due to money. This is no longer an issue. This is just the first step.
Maybe we might do the full circle again and bring in the U19s as in the past.

This year the development team were given the short straw when a women's game was elevated to the curtain raiser for the senior team. The women's league will replace the development league for curtain raisers next season. The money to run the development league was a pittance compared to the money being poured into the women's league not to mention the fortune spent for the introduction of GCS and GWS and the promotion of Aussie Rules in NSW and QLD teams. The likes of Conor Glass would have been obliterated last year if he had to cut his teeth in the senior team and what happens to the young recruits who are not ready to play in senior footy or need to be dropped back to gain some confidence. My guess is the TAC will be changed to Under 20 with possibly an Under 18 competition plus the Under 16s level. An Under 20 comp may see an increase in the minimum drafting age which would be a backward step for the boys who are ready at 18 years of age. The AFL clubs will need to set up links with Amateur clubs like Old Scotch or a University side to play the players who don't get a game in the event of an injury free list, players who are not physically ready to play senior footy and players who are struggling at senior level. AFL Victoria will need to come up with some goods ideas to replace the development league which has provided a pathway for so many AFL players.

Yep HH the landscape is changing. As far as funding the women's game is concerned it is a pittance compared to what is being spent on the Men's / Boys all around Australia. Its an evolution (maybe not the right term since we are going back) similar to when the VFL became the AFL. Teams will go by the way side. I have said to you in person the AFL have already started a process of migration towards AFL reserves side. The VFL is struggling with teams getting deregistered every year. Its only a matter of time.

I agree its not an either or dilemma when it comes to funding the development league and the women's league (not that the women playing their brand of footy has any appeal to me personally - but each to his own).

The AFL is a gigantic cash cow and they can both be adequately funded. And the AFL can keep pouring money into Gold Coast and GWS because the bigger picture of having 2 successful clubs playing out of Brisbane and Sydney is essential. And don't forget the AFL also virtually owns (heavily subsidizes) 4 other clubs. Nothing wrong with that, in the pursuit of a long term viable national competition.

What really really annoys me is hearing the AFL crying poor and looking where to cut the purse strings WHEN it wastes so much money on its own ivory tower.

You'll never see a balance sheet indicating how much money goes to those hundreds and hundreds of AFL executives. But it's a ridiculously excessive amount. Bear in mind that a senior executive like Simon Leathlean was being paid north of $900,000 !! That's almost twice the prime minister's salary. And of course there are many many more of these semi-useless AFL fat cats who are paid overblown salaries. I could tell you some stories (but I wont) about the culture and self congratulatory back patting customs inside the AFL empire.

The first place to trim excessive spending should not be the development league which, as HH says, will probably end or discourage many potential AFL careers. The starting points should be -
1) the shedding of excessive staff levels inside the AFL, and
2) the trimming of the ridiculous salaries (including the CEO) of the remaining AFL executives.

I agree its not an either or dilemma when it comes to funding the development league and the women's league (not that the women playing their brand of footy has any appeal to me personally - but each to his own).

The AFL is a gigantic cash cow and they can both be adequately funded. And the AFL can keep pouring money into Gold Coast and GWS because the bigger picture of having 2 successful clubs playing out of Brisbane and Sydney is essential. And don't forget the AFL also virtually owns (heavily subsidizes) 4 other clubs. Nothing wrong with that, in the pursuit of a long term viable national competition.

What really really annoys me is hearing the AFL crying poor and looking where to cut the purse strings WHEN it wastes so much money on its own ivory tower.

You'll never see a balance sheet indicating how much money goes to those hundreds and hundreds of AFL executives. But it's a ridiculously excessive amount. Bear in mind that a senior executive like Simon Leathlean was being paid north of $900,000 !! That's almost twice the prime minister's salary. And of course there are many many more of these semi-useless AFL fat cats who are paid overblown salaries. I could tell you some stories (but I wont) about the culture and self congratulatory back patting customs inside the AFL empire.

The first place to trim excessive spending should not be the development league which, as HH says, will probably end or discourage many potential AFL careers. The starting points should be -
1) the shedding of excessive staff levels inside the AFL, and
2) the trimming of the ridiculous salaries (including the CEO) of the remaining AFL executives.
I agree with almost everything you have said except the Executive Pay. The AFL is now a multi billion dollar workplace. It needs the quality of persons that can Manage the business. For that you need to pay well.

Its a natural progression. It has nothing to do with women's league."

The latest "natural progression" is for the Women's GF to be played as the curtain raiser to the VFL GF and surprise surprise surprise [NOT] the TAC GF has been relegated to a 7:30pm start. WTF :thumbsdown:

The latest "natural progression" is for the Women's GF to be played as the curtain raiser to the VFL GF and surprise surprise surprise [NOT] the TAC GF has been relegated to a 7:30pm start. WTF :thumbsdown:
Why is that an issue HH after all TAC is a level below VFLW (I know it may not be so in terms of Talent level atm) but compare it to other sports. It lines up with everything VFL I don't see the issue. I realise you have no interest in VFLW but others might and it only makes sense.

Why is that an issue HH after all TAC is a level below VFLW (I know it may not be so in terms of Talent level atm) but compare it to other sports. It lines up with everything VFL I don't see the issue. I realise you have no interest in VFLW but others might and it only makes sense.

The TAC is a level below VFLW??? As John McEnroe often said, "you cannot be serious". You've taken the half pregnant position by adding it may not be so in terms of Talent level atm! How many VFLW players will be drafted by AFL clubs? Let the VFLW and AFLW test the real interest in woman's football by charging for admission! I'm happy for woman's football to be successful and think it is an important step to promote Aussie Rules, however that's as far as my interest goes.

The TAC is a level below VFLW??? As John McEnroe often said, "you cannot be serious". You've taken the half pregnant position by adding it may not be so in terms of Talent level atm! How many VFLW players will be drafted by AFL clubs? Let the VFLW and AFLW test the real interest in woman's football by charging for admission! I'm happy for woman's football to be successful and think it is an important step to promote Aussie Rules, however that's as far as my interest goes.
What I meant by that mate is if they decided to have a TACW that would line up with TAC just like AFL lines up with AFLW and VFL lines up with VFLW. Its only logical to suggest that in the future there will be a TACW

I agree with almost everything you have said except the Executive Pay. The AFL is now a multi billion dollar workplace. It needs the quality of persons that can Manage the business. For that you need to pay well.

Of course the AFL must have quality executives (although it seems Lethlean, as an example, despite his enormous salary had too much time on his hands). But there are simply too may snouts in the trough and they're being paid well above industry standard.

It's a view shared by many in the AFL industry. A bit like our parliamentarians. They control the purse strings and look after themselves as the highest priority.

Ok, but where does that leave Port Melbourne & Williamstown who are too strong to just fold up and go out of business?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VFL has to remain (admittedly without the development comp which is a shame).
It's still a robust viable competition and always should be if properly managed.

Clubs have been chopped out or merged over a century or more to ensure its continuing viability - and that's how it should be. Just look at the chart on Wikipedia of the clubs as they've evolved over 100 years or so. It makes interesting reading.

It seems pretty obvious. The AFL wants to grow the game. When has the AFL ever got it right?

Hey?
You can criticise the AFL for many things - but it gets a massive amount right.

Whilst it subsidises 6 clubs in the competition, it's still a fabulous national comp and that's thanks to any number of sensible and brave and far reaching long term decisions made by the AFL commission and its CEOs over the last several decades. Just compare it to that rabid organisation called the NRL.

Find myself barracking for Port in the GF today. Guess I have some grudging respect for the boys from the Borough afterall! (Plus don't want Richmond to win ;) )

Yes, don’t want Richmond to win everything.

Plus Port have the great Gary Ayres as coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back