Analysis Fitness and Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Running and ‘core strength’. I know core strength is a bit of a buzz word but I’m not sold on size for the sake of size. Look at Dusty for example. Not a bicep in sight but never ever goes to ground. They need a sprint running coach and an endurance running coach. All of them. I’d confiscate everyone’s car keys next year and make them run everywhere. If you don’t have elite fitness you don’t play.

Here's a weird idea, how about we start favoring strength, kicking and man on man football?

It hasn't hurt West Coast.

If we're trying to be Richmond MKII with 14 gut running robots then it will take a minimum of 5 years.

The sports scientists will have a way to ruin that too. I’ve been told that players have been taken off the ground when they are doing extra goal kicking practice because they have reached their “loading” for the week.

FFS if a player wants to improve their kicking then they should be allowed to do as much as they want

We’re not able to work hard with or without the ball for long enough.
Need to turn over a few players for this to change as our aerobic levels aren’t there.
Look to draft athletic types , that run all day.
Look at Langdon tonight - he can’t kick to save himself but he runs all day, gets in space and is a linkman.

So what you're suggesting is we need to draft players like Brady Rawlings or Sam Gibson.

Happy to admit my approach is pretty superficial and im no expert but I get the impression that recruiters are hanging out more at Little Aths and basketball games than their local footy ground watching out for the kid who is actually getting the pill....

The sports scientists will have a way to ruin that too. I’ve been told that players have been taken off the ground when they are doing extra goal kicking practice because they have reached their “loading” for the week.

FFS if a player wants to improve their kicking then they should be allowed to do as much as they want

I dunno about that with the way we are running out games, and I question what role genetics plays in the ability of players to gain optimal fitness.

I am aware that endurance improves with age, so that is a factor we can set aside for now, but I don't believe that burst pace can be greatly improved by training, so now it becomes a personnel issue.

Now, take in to account the platform of our personnel and ask yourself if the current game plan is feasible?

Running and ‘core strength’. I know core strength is a bit of a buzz word but I’m not sold on size for the sake of size. Look at Dusty for example. Not a bicep in sight but never ever goes to ground. They need a sprint running coach and an endurance running coach. All of them. I’d confiscate everyone’s car keys next year and make them run everywhere. If you don’t have elite fitness you don’t play.

Martin still has significant size & core strength, and is generally optimal when he's either on the end of a kick or kicking.

This is actually what I am talking about. Strength and kicking. Paganism 101.

It hasn't hurt Simpson, and it definitely suits us, but I am concerned that the bloke in charge thinks he has Sydney & Melbourne players on his list.

Gets back to leadership at a coaching and playing level.
The fact that it’s taken Luke Mcdonald 6 or 7 years to realise he wasn’t fit enough is a joke.

How quickly would he have been pulled up at a club with strong leadership.
Brad Scott hangover there. He had next to no team standards. At a better club Luke would have been dropped half a dozen times in the years he was just cruising through his footy.

Brad Scott hangover there. He had next to no team standards. At a better club Luke would have been half a dozen times in the years he was just cruising through his footy.

Luke has been allowed to set up in a zone rather than having to gut run both ways whilst our back line all rebound and then get caught out when we turnover.

His only real shortcoming is top end pace. He has everything else.

Luke has been allowed to set up in a zone rather than having to gut run both ways whilst our back line all rebound and then get caught out when we turnover.

His only real shortcoming is top end pace. He has everything else.

He's also carried a lot of niggling injuries over the years and has only just this year, for the first time, had a full, uninterrupted pre-season. But a lot of people prefer to stick with their judgements of him over the years about being lazy, and so the narrative of the penny suddenly dropping allows them to remain right.

Martin still has significant size & core strength, and is generally optimal when he's either on the end of a kick or kicking.

This is actually what I am talking about. Strength and kicking. Paganism 101.

It hasn't hurt Simpson, and it definitely suits us, but I am concerned that the bloke in charge thinks he has Sydney & Melbourne players on his list.
What Martin has in spades is technique.
His Don't argue fend off is the gold standard in the game.
Our tackling technique is easily the worst in the league, we almost never take a arm and continually fail to stop the opposition player from disposing of the ball.

Whilst elite speed or endurance is largely capped by genetics, you can improve to whatever your ceiling is, and that's the frustrating bit. So many things that can be improved.

I've posted stuff like this before... Speed is created through power and technique. I have no idea what training they are doing but I can tell you so many of them have no idea how to run. Simple improvements include not over striding and lifting your foot on the drive phase which increases your turnover and further helps protect your hamstrings (engaging the right muscles at the right time... firing order).

If anyone is teaching this the players are not doing it.

Low repetition heavy weights, explosive movements builds power and doesn't build bulk. You must create the base for your body to handle it at a serious level but all possible with a few well structured years of training. And that's important... it takes years to build elite level speed and power.

Of course balancing that with endurance work. But most importantly of all the strength and conditioning program must ensure the players can complete the football program.

There is some good info I'll share on speed in different sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst elite speed or endurance is largely capped by genetics, you can improve to whatever your ceiling is, and that's the frustrating bit. So many things that can be improved.

I've posted stuff like this before... Speed is created through power and technique. I have no idea what training they are doing but I can tell you so many of them have no idea how to run. Simple improvements include not over striding and lifting your foot on the drive phase which increases your turnover and further helps protect your hamstrings (engaging the right muscles at the right time... firing order).

Low repetition heavy weights, explosive movements builds power and doesn't build bulk. You must create the base for your body to handle it at a serious level but all possible with a few well structured years of training. And that's important... it takes years to build elite level speed and power.

Of course balancing that with endurance work. But most importantly of all the strength and conditioning program must ensure the players can complete the football program.

Keen for any and all running materials you can provide. As a former powerlifter getting into running after an ACL reco, I'd be keen to learn.

The one year I started to focus on doing dead lifts in the gym, translated to a longer kick at footy that season. , easily 5 meters .

My point is you are spot on that ,low rep high weight training build power.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Fitness is the big one.

How many times do you see the opposition just chip it from one defence to attack without us touching it.

While we get excited if we do it once in a match.

We’re not able to work hard with or without the ball for long enough.
Need to turn over a few players for this to change as our aerobic levels aren’t there.
Look to draft athletic types , that run all day.
Look at Langdon tonight - he can’t kick to save himself but he runs all day, gets in space and is a linkman.
We had Gibbo do this for years and he was a punching bag for most of the supporters.

There is more to training than sports science bullshit.

If you want to push thru particular limits you need to train your body, but really you need to train your mind to push thru them.

It's your mind that makes you get up and go when you literally can't. It's your mind that does all the hard work on a cold wet oval when you want to be warm and dry. Doing that s**t, and pushing thru it with your will and your mind makes you stronger in adversity. It makes you angry when you are losing angry about all that effort going to waste.

That is what makes players dig deep. Cunners digs deep. He grew up on a dairy farm and every day the work had to be done.

You create nerve pathways and then reinforce them when you push yourself beyond your limits.

You do the same thing when you constantly stop training cos you hAve reached your "loading" too. That is still a form of training. You are training yourself to stop when it gets "too hard".

What Martin has in spades is technique.
His Don't argue fend off is the gold standard in the game.
Our tackling technique is easily the worst in the league, we almost never take a arm and continually fail to stop the opposition player from disposing of the ball.
His old man was a high ranked hard campaigner in the Rebels. Martin would have learned how to be physical from a young age.

I agree about our tackling. (Tho Jed and Tarryn do okay. Probably because they played league as kids and learned how to tackle.) It's really frustrating.

He's also carried a lot of niggling injuries over the years and has only just this year, for the first time, had a full, uninterrupted pre-season. But a lot of people prefer to stick with their judgements of him over the years about being lazy, and so the narrative of the penny suddenly dropping allows them to remain right.
His own words: "I'm going into my 7th year and I probably haven't done much with my career. I hooked into my training and got into as best condition that I could."

Source:

Sounds like a penny drop moment to me.

Higgo engaged a running coach, apparently. His technique is noticeably good. And cos he runs high it's harder to grab his hips. He uses that to his advantage and can break tackles and I think a lot of it is down to his running technique.

He stands out in our side when it comes to running IMO. He looks like the only one who runs properly.

Need to put in a 5 years weight program for players aged from 18 to 23 then hire a professional running coach and see if Old Libba is interested in been a tackle ing coach

Keen for any and all running materials you can provide. As a former powerlifter getting into running after an ACL reco, I'd be keen to learn.

Altis is worth a look, their youtube channel has enough free info to get you thinking in the right direction and links/references to other areas to consider. They are a business looking for people to pay for premium access but the athletes they train are world class including Australian Ella Nelson, so it is based on real world experience. They have a big focus on speed for team sports. https://www.youtube.com/c/AltisWorld/videos Many of their vids highlight the simple things I mentioned re angles and movement patterns. I like their balanced approach.

Interesting take here from a non-sprint coach on speed training for team sports https://www.elitefts.com/education/no-non-sense-guide-to-team-sport-sprint-training/

Another article and site worth a look https://www.stack.com/a/the-top-spe...-performance-enhancer-for-team-sport-athletes

And once you go down this track it is like anything... you get people disagreeing, bagging out the opposition, jargon and more stats, figures and numbers that really unless you want to coach at the elite level, it is all overwhelming and little pointless.

Basics - listen to your body, build load and tolerance slowly, don't run 2 days in a row. Use the same principals from power lifting re rest and recovery.

I wouldn't normally watch something like this, but there is so little to read in the mornings with a coffee......Anyway, check out the builds on Bailey Smith, Rourke-Smith and Dunkley, around the 3 minute mark, and then tell me any of our blokes looking anything like the builds of these blokes.
I seriously don't know what our blokes think the weights room is for. All 3 of those blokes are running machines as well as being built for power and burst speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back