News Assistant Coaches Speculation and News - Xavier Clarke joins

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting that my arse is making more sense than you atm. Do you think sacking coaches in the past lead us to success? Do you think we would have gone any further with the side we rolled out in the 2015 finals?....

Worked out ok when Barry Richardson was sacked and Tony Jewell became coach in 79...a year later....success

DH has been at it 7 going on 8 years...that's longer than any other coach since our immortal Tommy Hafey (11 years)

It's interesting that my arse is making more sense than you atm. Do you think sacking coaches in the past lead us to success? Do you think we would have gone any further with the side we rolled out in the 2015 finals?

I agree with you (can't believe I am saying that) that Dimma did shift the goals but only when he realised the scope of the negative impact of making changes to the team early in the season. Who would have thought that by not playing Chaplin would destabilize out backline to that extent? No Maric - suddenly our midfield lacks around the ground. Lids out - our scoring drys up. Houli injured - s**t our run and ball movement stagnates. Where's McIntosh? - our run is again affected. Dimma never predicted the magnitude of our descent for grace but i retrospect the effect of switching the team around to improve it was going to create growing pains. I just hope its worth it next year
You think Hardwick should stay, your perception on current event is so skewed and naïve that what you think is not only wrong it's irrelevant so what you think makes sense in nonsensical by definition.

What has sacking Coaches in the past got to do with the current situation at the Club, besides none? Hardwick has had 7 years with the best backing in terms of resources that Club has ever been able to give a Coach. What has he actually achieved besides not a great deal. Yes the Playing Group was on the Canvas when he took over, however now it's headed back that way. Thanks for your services you are no longer required.

So Damien shifted the Goal Post and now so have you. The step backwards wasn't always going to happen this year as you claimed, now it happened after the realisation of how changes would effect the team. The changes being negative as you claim. It's funny because as Coach of the Club these negative changes in my opinion are a reflection of Hardwick's inability to develop the list and constant picking on the same Players who fail to deliver at Senior level all those years before. It's of no surprise you see it as a excuse (another excuse mind you) to give Hardwick a pass.

Hardwick is 7 years in and with the full backing of the Football Department has to take steps backwards when his list should be peaking. Now on top of that he needs Assistant coaches that can guide him and hold his hand..... wow wee indeed.

Is he. Blameless you say. Ok......oh you're being sarcastic again!:straining: Perhaps what you meant to say that Hardwick isn't solely to blame. If you did then you'd be spot on. :thumbsu:

The Game plan needs to change all the same. I don't give a rats ass if its Dimma's brainwave, an assistant coach or a combination of other clubs game plans merged to fit our players - we need a game plan to suit today's game.
7 years to get it right. The Club doesn't just need a new game plan, it needs a new Coach.

AFL

Tigers poach Hawthorn assistant coach Ross Smith
  • AL PATON
  • HERALD SUN
  • SEPTEMBER 28, 2011 3:10PM

235970-ross-smith.jpg

Damien Hardwick (centre) and Ross Smith (second from right) in their days as assistant coaches at Hawthorn.

RICHMOND has snared highly rated assistant coach Ross Smith from Hawthorn.

Smith, who has spent the past seven seasons at the Hawks, has signed a three-year deal with the Tigers.

The deal reunites him with Tigers coach Damien Hardwick after the pair worked together as assistants to Alastair Clarkson.

He will be in charge of Richmond's defensive structures and strategies.

“Ross is an excellent communicator, a great teacher and he’s been involved in footy a hell of a long time. Importantly, he knows about the system that we’re trying to implement,” Hardwick said.

“The added bonus is that he’s been involved in a premiership, as an assistant coach at Hawthorn.

“He’s had the experience, similar to me, of how to build up a side and get them to where we need to go.

“The fact he’s experienced in that area, is going to be really valuable for us.”

Clarkson said today Smith left the Hawks on good terms.

"Ross has been a great servant of our club as an assistant coach over a period of seven years, which is a long time in footy," Clarkson said.

“We will miss his insight, his sense of humour and his outstanding work with our players and coaches.”

Smith played 224 games for North Melbourne from 1984-96.

So you saying he had nothing to do with the defence at all?
So as people have been telling you, he was in charge of defensive structures around the ground/what to do when you don't have the ball which has been his job since year 1?
Thanks for confirmation

There was a definite objective this Millenium for the club to be seen to retain our coaches for longer contracted periods to break the perception that we were impatient and had unrealistic expectations. The club may have changed yet there are still those who claim to support the yellow and black that call for the coaches head at any sign of trouble. Who would want to coach Richmond with that sort of pressure. How do you ever build a list? Establish a game plan? Create a winning culture?

Dimma has improved the club every year but we have failed in each of the three finals. After last year we realised that our list needed to change and that we need to try out our younger and inexperienced players. That meant we lost games that we would have otherwise won. It meant that our game plan failed through lack of team consistency and evolution to the new rules/opposition style of play.

You can point the finger at Dimma exclusively but it is not solely his fault no more than blaming Cotchin for losing our last EF. Bringing in a group of talented Assistant coaches will help improve and revitalize the players without having to start from scratch yet again. Considering this thread is all about the Assistant Coaches I felt discussing them was relevant but I guess I should just ignore the topics completely.

Anyway I'll go back to trouting out misconceptions as facts to support my failing argument and you can go back to ignoring the facts and playing the hate game. After all that always improves our club doesn't it....

I see your point, and I largely agree. We did need to break the perception that we sacked the coach at the first change of the wind. We did need to give coaches more time, more resources, better people around them, better facilities. We did all that. And it got us so far.

I disagree that the team has improved since 2014. You seem reasonable, so I'd be interested to hear what elements of the team you think have improved?

I was prepared to accept that the building of mental resilience during the streak of 2014 made up for the lack of improvement in win/loss, percentage, game style or player depth. But then there was no improvement in 2015 by any of those measures either.

You could say we have improved the depth of our list, in that the 2016 players ranked 30 to 40 are probably better than the same ranked players last year. (You could equally argue that the depth has decreased, given that players ranked mid-tier, say 5 to 15, have gone backwards.)

I don't agree with the vitriol directed at Hardwick, but I understand it. Richmond FC is very, very important to those people carrying on like pork chops, and they just want some hope that things will get better. It's difficult to see how there will be improvement, given what we have all seen the past 3 seasons.

I see your point, and I largely agree. We did need to break the perception that we sacked the coach at the first change of the wind. We did need to give coaches more time, more resources, better people around them, better facilities. We did all that. And it got us so far.

I disagree that the team has improved since 2014. You seem reasonable, so I'd be interested to hear what elements of the team you think have improved?

I was prepared to accept that the building of mental resilience during the streak of 2014 made up for the lack of improvement in win/loss, percentage, game style or player depth. But then there was no improvement in 2015 by any of those measures either.

You could say we have improved the depth of our list, in that the 2016 players ranked 30 to 40 are probably better than the same ranked players last year. (You could equally argue that the depth has decreased, given that players ranked mid-tier, say 5 to 15, have gone backwards.)

I don't agree with the vitriol directed at Hardwick, but I understand it. Richmond FC is very, very important to those people carrying on like pork chops, and they just want some hope that things will get better. It's difficult to see how there will be improvement, given what we have all seen the past 3 seasons.
GETTING better involves planning, structures, improvements to the playing list etc. not blind statements that 'we've been here before and work our way out of it', our best can beat anyones', 'half a step back ot take two forward';. In short, Dimma lacks substance and the smarts to turn it around - his regular statements had as much verification to than as they would have had they'd been spoken by the leader of the cheer squad or some of the eternal optimists on here. It's what Dimma didn't and couldn't do that was more arming than what he did do. He was lost for answers as early as round three or four and the game plan never changed. Now he just slings to - as some argue on here - playing the young kids is why our record was what it was. He didn't play the kids - other than Rioli - until he was shamed into it by about week 17 when the season was gone. Kinds convenient blaming the kids when a host of senior players, Vickery, BEllis, Edwards, Conca, Hampson, Griffiths and at times Cotchin and Riewoldt weren't up to scratch. Blaming kids for our win-loss record is nonsense.

GETTING better involves planning, structures, improvements to the playing list etc. not blind statements that 'we've been here before and work our way out of it', our best can beat anyones', 'half a step back ot take two forward';. In short, Dimma lacks substance and the smarts to turn it around - his regular statements had as much verification to than as they would have had they'd been spoken by the leader of the cheer squad or some of the eternal optimists on here. It's what Dimma didn't and couldn't do that was more arming than what he did do. He was lost for answers as early as round three or four and the game plan never changed. Now he just slings to - as some argue on here - playing the young kids is why our record was what it was. He didn't play the kids - other than Rioli - until he was shamed into it by about week 17 when the season was gone. Kinds convenient blaming the kids when a host of senior players, Vickery, BEllis, Edwards, Conca, Hampson, Griffiths and at times Cotchin and Riewoldt weren't up to scratch. Blaming kids for our win-loss record is nonsense.
A lot of kids played round 1.

I agree with your criticism of the game plan. It is my biggest issue with Dimma and the assistant coaches. This needs to change because slow, deliberate ball movement is just not working. The only thing has gives me pause is that Hawthorn are still using the game plan but move the ball on quickly using precise kicking. This is where we are lacking - we're not taking the game on. Perhaps the loss of Yarran and Houli early in the year was a big factor in our confidence. Perhaps Lids acting as a link up player also hurt this game plan. Regardless I agree - it certainly needs to be changed for next year or we won't go anywhere.

What was yarran offering again? Which game, no let's make that nab game, no let's make tha inter club practice game did he play in, and Houli was lost well after the season was lost , just to be accurate which you obviously have a problem with

I just don't listen to what Hardwick says to the media. Hah, I'm pretty glad I don't, because it sounds like it's infuriating!

I do agree that a host of our senior players, who have had 7 years of being taught by Hardwick how to play elite football, have not been up to the job again and again.

And I'm not making arguments for Hardwick to stay. I would have sacked him after the 2015 EF. But, he is still the coach of the Tigers, so I'll keep hoping he can improve the team next year and beyond until they frogmarch him.

Worked out ok when Barry Richardson was sacked and Tony Jewell became coach in 79...a year later....success

DH has been at it 7 going on 8 years...that's longer than any other coach since our immortal Tommy Hafey (11 years)

And tommy may have won a final to get to 11 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of kids played round 1.

Round 1 when we lose to the scum

Journo: so Damien what do you think went wrong tonight ?

Dimma : Well look there gonna be a really good side, we will go back have a look at a few things , and we will win the GF mark my words because this team is the best squad and the greatest of all time .

That tells you everything. That's an admission that Hardwick is going nowhere next year but the club has put him on notice that another s**t start and he'll be gone.

Also tells you that they're not going to rebuild via the draft and will try and top up with some players. We're in for a n awesome time next year.

What was yarran offering again? Which game, no let's make that nab game, no let's make tha inter club practice game did he play in, and Houli was lost well after the season was lost , just to be accurate which you obviously have a problem with

Houli played the first seven games the season was done and dusted by then 5 games outside the 8 and a hefty percentage as well , yeah mathematically the season was still alive so was my 2-7 bet

That tells you everything. That's an admission that Hardwick is going nowhere next year but the club has put him on notice that another s**t start and he'll be gone.
Also tells you that they're not going to rebuild via the draft and will try and top up with some players. We're in for a n awesome time next year.

Yes I too thought that....... also tells you that the Chicago Bulls will win the Wimbledon final after Tiger Woods scores the winning try...

Round 1 when we lose to the scum

Journo: so Damien what do you think went wrong tonight ?

Dimma : Well look there gonna be a really good side, we will go back have a look at a few things , and we will win the GF mark my words because this team is the best squad and the greatest of all time .

Despite Dusty racking up 43 possies - 10 of those contested, he really let us down...the kids also let us down badly...nor cut out for AFL at this stage

This is a big issue. Our bottom end depth is deeper but our middle rung - 5-15 as you said (or even just 6-11) just haven't been cutting it against good opposition for whatever reason. These guys should be:

B.Ellis (game plan doesn't suit his hard running style - he is outside yes but being outside in a chip chip sideways/backwards game will never make him look good)
Conca (Injuries, fitness have impacted his ability to play big minutes in the mids which is where he should be)
Vlastuin (Injuries, fitness and the seemingly lack of faith by the coach to play him in the middle have stagnated him)
Titch (still inconsistent in his efforts)
Vickery (no comment)
Griff (still inconsistent although improving in his top end output, still injury prone)
Lennon (injuries ruined his season)
Miles (inconsistent this season for the first time)
Batchelor (solid in 2015 but fell off the perch this year)

Probably missed others but you get the idea.

The development of these guys has not been good. The assistants have copped it first. We need to get better guys in this part of our list and better development/assistant coaches in the short term and if it doesn't turn around quickly obviously the head honcho will be gone quickly as well.

Poor Damien and bless those on the forums brave enough to stand up for him. If the review found that Hardwick should stay the Guv and get more help around him then that's one thing. The fact is the review outcome was determined before it began because of the inept Board signing his extension when it wasn't required. Now after 7 Seasons the Club needs to bring people in around Hardwick to help him improve and hold his hand..... where was this before? Who picked the Assistants Prior and why were they employed?

But how stupid of some of us to not think with a change of Assistant Coaches around Hardwick things will just improve. I mean someone might come in and say for example "Hey Damien, tackling is an important element to the game of Australian Rules Football" and then Hardwick goes "Well let's work on that" and then someone else says "Kicking goals is a good idea"......
The review on the coach was last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back