Autopsy Flat trackers Vs Colliwobbles.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel Kennedy's the type of player that could still have a massive impact in his 30s, so I'm not ruling out a flag for him unless his downward spiral is worse then Travis Clokes.
He's still looking very good this year. But Priddis and Le Cras were looking really good 24 months ago too.

All this stuff about Kennedy being wasted: he isn't immune from criticism either. He is still performing very well as an individual but I feel like he could do more to get the other guys pumped up emotionally.

The majority of primary KPFs are complete campaigners to opposition players, they get angry, they get aggressive. When they are playing well they get ******* pumped up.

I love the fact he seems like a legend of a bloke - he just seems to really have fun out there and seems like a super chill guy. But all of our leaders are like this. We simply don't get fired up.

Take someone like J Riewoldt. Absolute campaigner but when he is on fire, like JK was today, he's out there screaming and getting himself, his teammates and the crowd pumped up.

It's not just KPFs too. I've really noticed this lately when players from other teams nail a sweet goal they ******* go nuts with emotion. Our players tend to just share a laugh with teammates, smash out some high fives and bum pats.

We seem too passionless and robotic. At the start of every match in Melbourne that I have seen we all look lethargic and timid as *.

I wonder if the players have been instructed to keep their emotions in check? Either way, I think Kennedy is indicative of our over-professional senior players who just seem focused on nailing their role but aren't able to lift those around them when the chips are down

Today's the fourth time we've pissed away a victory, where the Eagles of at least two years ago would've kicked away in a final quarter and put score on the board they just disintegrate in another piss weak fourth quarter. I'm pretty sure the only fourth quarter we've actually played decently in this year was the Saints game that we barely struggled to win that. The Eagles of a couple years ago would've put away GWS, Melbourne, outlast Port and kick away from a two man down Collingwood....but no. Something's seriously wrong with this team, they haven't recovered from the 2015 Grand Final.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have not felt comfortable at all when this team has a big lead in second halves of games, continually leaking goals and being weak as piss at the contest.

our kicking has turned to s**t this season.
Guys we rate as very good kicks have all dropped off. Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, Masten (when playing) and Mcgovern are our very good kicks but their poor kicking lately is reflective of the whole side.

Sumich had a better peak but it only lasted about 4 years, I think by the end of his career Kennedy gets it.
Hard to pick one, sentimentally I'd go with Nic Nat but they've both been great servants of the club.

Kennedy was pretty rubbish under Worsfold for mine, didn't start kicking properly until Simpson arrived. Has had 4 solid seasons to this point now. Have to wait and see how the finishes up. But Sumich kicked a lot of goals in finals during his peak, including bags in GF's, and retired with 2 Premierships to his name. History is going to look favourably on that. Agree with NicNat, once in a lifetime talent vs a 1 or 2 in a generation forward.

our kicking has turned to s**t this season.
Guys we rate as very good kicks have all dropped off. Shuey, Gaff, Hurn, Masten (when playing) and Mcgovern are our very good kicks but their poor kicking lately is reflective of the whole side.
Confidence

Yes. All of these are facts.

And yet none of them are controllable by Simpson in any capacity. Whatever he installed for this week got us in an overwhelming position to succeed. A few brief, inexplicable and unpredictable moments cost us all the momentum in the game and left the door open. There was no coaching master-stroke from Collingwood that confounded us, just a team that was handed a prayer of a chance and ran their guts it to get it.

You're just saying things that are true of the game, but giving me no reason to think any of them are connected to Simpson or how this game was lost in the end.

Their captain was injured. They had none on the bench. They missed plenty of chances; when does Adam Simpson get involved in any of these things?
For mine, the mindset of players and the ways they react to situations has a huge amount to do with the coaches, in conjunction with the player leaders

Kennedy was pretty rubbish under Worsfold for mine, didn't start kicking properly until Simpson arrived. Has had 4 solid seasons to this point now. Have to wait and see how the finishes up. But Sumich kicked a lot of goals in finals during his peak, including bags in GF's, and retired with 2 Premierships to his name. History is going to look favourably on that. Agree with NicNat, once in a lifetime talent vs a 1 or 2 in a generation forward.
59 in 2011, injured most of 2012 and 60 in 2013. He obviously improved as he entered into his prime.

For mine, the mindset of players and the ways they react to situations has a huge amount to do with the coaches, in conjunction with the player leaders

Club is soft and full of panickers. Happy to acknowledge that. I agree, with that, the buck has to stop with Simmo, the recruiters/developers and the MC. It seems to be an epidemic through most of the players. Surprisingly seems stronger in the older heads unfortunately.

He's still looking very good this year. But Priddis and Le Cras were looking really good 24 months ago too.

All this stuff about Kennedy being wasted: he isn't immune from criticism either. He is still performing very well as an individual but I feel like he could do more to get the other guys pumped up emotionally.

The majority of primary KPFs are complete campaigners to opposition players, they get angry, they get aggressive. When they are playing well they get ******* pumped up.

I love the fact he seems like a legend of a bloke - he just seems to really have fun out there and seems like a super chill guy. But all of our leaders are like this. We simply don't get fired up.

Take someone like J Riewoldt. Absolute campaigner but when he is on fire, like JK was today, he's out there screaming and getting himself, his teammates and the crowd pumped up.

It's not just KPFs too. I've really noticed this lately when players from other teams nail a sweet goal they ******* go nuts with emotion. Our players tend to just share a laugh with teammates, smash out some high fives and bum pats.

We seem too passionless and robotic. At the start of every match in Melbourne that I have seen we all look lethargic and timid as ****.

I wonder if the players have been instructed to keep their emotions in check? Either way, I think Kennedy is indicative of our over-professional senior players who just seem focused on nailing their role but aren't able to lift those around them when the chips are down

Quality post, but I don't think the fact that JK doesn't celebrate like others do necessary detracts from him as a player. Take a look at Chris Judd, he was never one to be boystrous after goals, and led more by example then anything else; I'd put JK in the same category.

59 in 2011, injured most of 2012 and 60 in 2013. He obviously improved as he entered into his prime.

Improved 50% as a player the moment he ditched the fred flintstone run up. Simpsons greatest legacy. Used to s**t me so much Woosh constantly answering questions about that with "dones't matter what it looks like, whatever he's comfortable with is what gets the results." Simmo lobs up, "you can get ****ed with that s**t JK." Boom, Colemans for dayz.

What an absolutely disgusting thing to say about the club you support.

Do you have any semblance of majority when supporting a team? Sure, we lost, but saying one of our stars has had a "waste of a career" is complete horseshit and you know it.

But that's exactly what your sig is saying about Pavlich. You're not making any sense. Can't have it both ways.

Club is soft and full of panickers. Happy to acknowledge that. I agree, with that, the buck has to stop with Simmo, the recruiters/developers and the MC. It seems to be an epidemic through most of the players. Surprisingly seems stronger in the older heads unfortunately.
Its definitely the pattern of failure that is causing the angst with the coaches. Even the mighty Hawks had the very occassional brain fart game that had you scratching your head. These performances have become the norm in the last season rather than an abberation and that is just too Richmondy to be tolerated.

When the current coaching group seems unable to arrest the capitulation of the playing group it is a sad fact that it is easier to turn over some coaches than it is to turn over half your playing list.

It sounds like Simpson as much as said the playing group went and played their own hot take in what to do rather than following the plans laid out by the coaching group. Alarming.

Quality post, but I don't think the fact that JK doesn't celebrate like others do necessary detracts from him as a player. Take a look at Chris Judd, he was never one to be boystrous after goals, and led more by example then anything else; I'd put JK in the same category.

Agreed, if you're criticising about a player who's just kicked 6 goals coz he didn't celebrate loud enough and pinning it as one of the reasons we lost, well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I shouldn't have narrowed it down to just celebrating goals.

It's more about that general revving up of the others that goals give you the opportunity to do. But the opposition gets a roll on you don't see our senior players, including Kennedy, being very vocal or anything. It's all hands on hips and looking down at the grass.

Kennedy, like Priddis, like Le Cras and like Mackenzie, Hurn, etc, rarely get in the face of opposition players and get stuck into them when they mess something up.

Someone like Heath Shaw for example will let you know about it if you shanked a kick or gave away a silly free etc. We need our senior players to be able to get the team's blood flowing on a more consistent basis.

I honestly think this is what is holding us back. I think our team is top 4 on paper, but above the shoulders we are often more like a bottom 4 side.

Re: Judd, he was able to lead by example because he was constantly at the coal face, and let's face it his talent on show was enough to lift anyone up a level.

Agreed, if you're criticising about a player who's just kicked 6 goals coz he didn't celebrate loud enough and pinning it as one of the reasons we lost, well
You missed the point. It's an example of the lack of passion and intensity shown by our leaders

Yeah I shouldn't have narrowed it down to just celebrating goals.

It's more about that general revving up of the others that goals give you the opportunity to do. But the opposition gets a roll on you don't see our senior players, including Kennedy, being very vocal or anything. It's all hands on hips and looking down at the grass.

Kennedy, like Priddis, like Le Cras and like Mackenzie, Hurn, etc, rarely get in the face of opposition players and get stuck into them when they mess something up.

Someone like Heath Shaw for example will let you know about it if you shanked a kick or gave away a silly free etc. We need our senior players to be able to get the team's blood flowing on a more consistent basis.

I honestly think this is what is holding us back. I think our team is top 4 on paper, but above the shoulders we are often more like a bottom 4 side.

Re: Judd, he was able to lead by example because he was constantly at the coal face, and let's face it his talent on show was enough to lift anyone up a level.

I seriously think you're clutching at straws here

Poor kicking and decision making with the game on the line made the difference, not the lack of grandstanding in someone's face

How else can you explain the team's current situation and the patterns shown by the side whilst we've had this playing group?

Lack of composure

Yes and no
165883.jpg

We play like a team afraid to fail rather than a team that wants to win.

When the chips are down the performance driver is fear instead of desire.

This is why we don't have players running hard and demanding the footy - they don't want it. This is why we have players coralling and waving their arms instead of committing to a tackle - they fear missing it. This is why we start chipping the ball around instead of banging in the sealer - they don't want to be the risk taker who turns the ball over.

We need a massive change in mindset.

We play like a team afraid to fail rather than a team that wants to win.

When the chips are down the performance driver is fear instead of desire.

This is why we don't have players running hard and demanding the footy - they don't want it. This is why we have players coralling and waving their arms instead of committing to a tackle - they fear missing it. This is why we start chipping the ball around instead of banging in the sealer - they don't want to be the risk taker who turns the ball over.

We need a massive change in mindset.
Yeah this timidness is so obvious you can detect it from the stands. Imagine how emboldening that would be to the opposition.

It would be fine if we were a team of kids like Brisbane but we are meant to be the most experienced side in the competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back