Strategy Football Mastery

Remove this Banner Ad

After the win against Fremantle in 2015, Ken Hinkley was quoted as saying that 'we are in pursuit of mastery'.

A master isn't just someone with experience. It isn't someone who can just 'do the job'. It is someone who excels at all facets of their particular endeavour.

So...allow me to paint a picture of the gameplan that I envision us playing sooner rather than later. I've probably posted this before somewhere, but * it, I'm going to dedicate a thread to it. Starting with the backline.

DB:-------------------------Jonas-----------Hombsch---------------------------------

Your deepest backs should be your best defenders. These are the guys who are equipped to take intercept marks as well as clear the ball out of the danger zone. They don't have to be the most mobile players because if the ball is delivered laterally into the pockets it is a low percentage kick and it's easy to spoil the ball out of bounds in that situation. Playing two of them enables one to push up and provide coverage to the half back line at a defensive half boundary throw in.

SW:--------------------------------Howard-------------------------------------------------

Just in front of those two, you place your sweeper. I say sweeper because his job isn't to take a singular opponent the way the traditional CHB does. Rance and McGovern play this role to perfection, moving from side to side depending on which wing the ball is travelling down. This player should be not only the most athletic defender, but have sufficient speed to close space on both the half back line to provide aerial support, but also fold back behind the deep backs in the event of turnover that could potentially expose the defence.

One note I will say here is that Rance and McGovern are only as good as the defensive structure ahead of them that enables them to predict where the ball is going to be. If the midfield isn't holding their shape, it's easy for a sweeper to get caught out - as Rance found out against well-known contested mark Josh Jenkins.

HB:-------Bonner----------------Houston--------------------Pittard------------

Now we come to the high backs. These are a hybrid between a wingback and a defensive midfielder - their job is to start attacks from the backline and push up the ground.

At the moment, we are playing Houston in the central 'regista' role - the guy who dictates flow and tempo and decides which side of the ground to attack. And at his best, Houston would excel in this position because he makes good decisions. But at the moment, he is taking way too much time to execute those decisions. Pick up your game, Dan.

If you want to know who a good 'regista' player was, it was Luke Hodge when he played at Hawthorn. Knew when to go, knew when not to go.

Bonner could play this role eventually once he's gained a bit more confidence and experience, particularly because he can use both his left and right boot well and would also add the ability of being able to run through the middle, but at the moment I have Riley on the right wing with Pittard on the left. These two players should alternate with the players on the wing, who need to fold back and cover defensively when the high backs push up in attack. I'm still holding out hope that Broadbent returns, because with Hartlett out of the side we could really use him right about now.

C: --Motlop------------------------Wines-------------------------Polec--

The wings in our system provide both defensive and offensive support, folding back behind the high backs when they push up the ground but also pushing up to provide attacking options when the high forwards push down into the midfield to act as link up players. They don't have to be the quickest players, but they should be the most skilful and adaptive.

HF: -----------S.Gray------------Westhoff--------------Boak----------------

The most thankless role in the side, the high forward has the responsibility of pushing all the way back down to defence from the forward line and creating options that encourages the ball to transition back into the corridor. They are transition link players - the ones that provide the 45 degree outlet for the wings and high backs to utilise. At the moment, due to the slow ball movement from our defensive zone, these players are finding themselves being pushed wide to get a kick - curling out towards the boundary instead of staying towards in the corridor/wing area due to the opposition defence rolling back faster than the ball is being delivered. Speed up the movement, and this will change.

Westhoff is in the centre, but basically, he just does whatever the * he wants as a free player.

F:---------------------Dixon----------------------Watts----------------------------

As I've said elsewhere, Dixon and Watts are playing a traditional primary 'target' striker and secondary 'shadow' striker system. Watts will generally push up into the hole that the high forwards leave when the drop back down into the defensive half, and if both drop back, Dixon will also push up to provide a target. Again, when the movement of the ball is slow, you'll find both players pushing up extremely deep into defence to encourage an outlet dump kick...but this is not how it should be. In fact, there should always be at least one player in each line at all times if this is being executed correctly, creating multiple angles of attack. So if Dixon and Watts are dropping deep, there's a breakdown somewhere in the system.

DF:-------------------------------Wingard------------------------------------------

Wingard, as I see it, has been asked to play the Lionel Messi 'false 9' role - the guy who starts in the forward line but then drops into midfield and uses their guile to create triple (rather than simple dual threat) opportunities: threat one is being able to drop deep and get an easy goal out the back, threat two is being able to lead up and mark the ball, and threat three is to drop into midfield and then double back coming at the defender rather than having the defender being able to play in front or behind. Think what Dangerfield does, but a more constant movement between forward and midfield. Ken said that Wingard's role requires him to have 'explosive' power.

FOL: Ryder, Rockliff/Ebert, R. Gray

Self explanatory really. If we need to stop a run of goals, you put Ebert at the stoppage in a defensive role. If we need to score in a hurry or have the ascendancy, you roll with Rockliff and double down on winning clearances with Gray. I believe Rockliff was only ever played on the wing get some match fitness, and that when he comes back in (hopefully this week) he will assume his rightful place in the middle.

INT: Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Byrne-Jones, Rockliff/Ebert

Marshall because he can play anywhere from deep forward to forward to high forward to wing.

Powell-Pepper because Wines needs help and if we need another contested bull we can double up.

Byrne-Jones because you always need a defensive stopper and he can swap out for a high back.

Rockliff/Ebert because of the reason I mentioned earlier.

This is the system we are trying to play as I see it (but haven't seen it quite yet). It WILL work once every one is on the same page and the ball moves faster than the glacial movement we've seen so far.

It won't work if we are playing the likes of Amon, Neade and Barry in roles they aren't suited to.

C3PO%2Bhere%2Bwe%2Bgo%2Bagain%2BGIF.gif

Effort genuinely appreciated. Will read again. Several times over. Promise . When not post two bottles Malbec insufficiency food and cheesy jazz gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Masters know how to simplify the complex. We make the simple complex.

We make things far too bloody complicated and confuse the s**t out of ourselves. It is too hard to have to make a choice out of 5 options in the blink of an eye. They need 2 simple choices max and it needs to be predictable and reproduceable so everyone knows what options to take and everyone knows where the ball is going.

I am starting to think that Janus is actually right in what the coaches are thinking and that is the whole bloody problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

After the win against Fremantle in 2015, Ken Hinkley was quoted as saying that 'we are in pursuit of mastery'.

The one where Freo sent over Lachie Neale, Michael Barlow and 20 randoms because they'd locked up top spot and we were about to go on holidays because we lost to Geelong, Brisbane, Carlton and a grieving Adelaide?

Onya Ken.

I misread the title of the thread as "Football Mystery", which might actually be more appropriate at present.

Funny. I read it as “Football Misery”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masters know how to simplify the complex. We make the simple complex.

We make things far too bloody complicated and confuse the s**t out of ourselves. It is too hard to have to make a choice out of 5 options in the blink of an eye. They need 2 simple choices max and it needs to be predictable and reproduceable so everyone knows what options to take and everyone knows where the ball is going.

I am starting to think that Janus is actually right in what the coaches are thinking and that is the whole bloody problem.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The best way to make something simple is to make it focussed.

Each component of of a complex system is simple in and of itself, but trying to understand everything at once is incredibly complicated.

A zone is relatively simple, favouring the corridor at all costs is simple, swarming stoppages or having a loose man in defence are simple tactics. Trying to focus on all of these things at once is already complicated, which is part of why players don’t hit their peak until their late 20s when they have years of experience dealing with all these systems.

Strategy simply doesn’t work when it attempts to deal with all these elements in different ways. A pivot in strategy is a different story though.

I’m not well versed in modern football strategies, and I don’t know quite what ours is, or what most clubs are. My guess is that this is because when you have the ability to execute your strategy you are pretty much always winning.

Richmond and Adelaide’s strategies I understood last year, same for the bulldogs the year before or 2012 Collingwood, peak Geelong or Hawthorn and 2009 St Kilda.

I know that we try to play aggressively, and I know that we try to rotate players through many positions to mess with match ups and reduce fatigue, but that doesn’t feel like a strategy to me just tools. Sometimes it feels like we are trying to create turnovers when teams attempt to rebound out of our forward 50, but everyone does that right? And what does that mean when the ball is in congestion further up the ground?

Maybe our strategy is to win the contested ball while staying uncongested which is why we hold our shape at centre bounces sometimes, or hold our forwards deep as we did in the third quarter against the eagles?

Maybe our strategy is designed purely for the MCG and that’s why we don’t see it come off very often?

It sometimes even feels like we try to slingshot while pressuring defenders, which is kind of like having your cake and eating it. Unless our players are vastly fitter that their opponents it seems unlikely they can run back to defend and forward to attack faster than their opponents.. I mean you’d think Sam Gray and Boak can pull off a hell of a lot more miles than a McGovern or Hurn for example I guess? And that is basically what Richmond did...

Obviously I can’t figure out our main focus in terms of strategy, but that doesn’t really mean we don’t have one. Though it certainly means if we do we probably aren’t executing it, nor being allowed to execute it.

I do get the feeling we are close though..

Point of order:

Is the pursuit of this style and "mastery" worth the risk that we can never quite get it to click, given we could arguably win flags in the current era with a simpler more conventional gameplan because of the strength and versatility of our list

Point of order:

Is the pursuit of this style and "mastery" worth the risk that we can never quite get it to click, given we could arguably win flags in the current era with a simpler more conventional gameplan because of the strength and versatility of our list

It's honestly not that hard.

Polec and Motlop drop back and defend if the high back on their wing goes for a run.

The player at what was designated true centre half back is the one that dictates the pace and flow of the game.

Boak and S.Gray run between the arcs and provide the central corridor lead up option, dropping into space in the forward line when the ball crosses into our attacking midfield.

Westhoff runs around doing whatever he feels the team needs.

Watts pushes into midfield as a roaming centre half if the ball is coming out of defence. If it's a centre clearance, he acts as a lead up marking forward.

Dixon acts as the target forward that pushes up if the ball is locked in defence for a length of time.

Wingard acts as a deep forward that transitions into a midfielder (or vice versa depending on his starting position) in relation to where the ball is.

It's pretty simple. It looks hard when the side is not moving the ball quickly because instead of being free flowing and aggressive it turns into a glacier of players that stand around and don't provide options. It's why I care about three things from our players:

1. Ability to make the correct decision in accordance with the idea that we want to get the ball into the corridor
2. Ability to execute those decisions swiftly
3. Ability to hit kicks under no pressure, and handball without putting teammates under pressure

The only players who have a pass in not moving the ball on quickly are the deep backs. Everyone else should be treating the ball like it's a bomb that can't touch the ground, that we need to get down the field as quickly as possible.

These threads feel more like Janus trying to convince himself we’re on the right path then Janus trying to convince all of us we’re on the right path.

The Legendary Finn...

Yes but seriously you'd think the more we lose the same way would quieten this sort of stuff down

It's making it worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back