Official Club Stuff Introducing Yartapuulti Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LnezqZolkpOVWeIcV4HNlMfzaBOAZ2zXjWHqZEqJTQtngZu51x62ywdVpg1RjEmxhdAqMBQO-I3I8088B3QsraIvKY_0rLqlVunT0pr7BiYhWQaucdpgXAQHv0V7KLj3NSfoHSEqyDXBnnYbhX1odDrZ8-wUXQ=s0-d-e1-ft

what happen Yartapuulti?

LnezqZolkpOVWeIcV4HNlMfzaBOAZ2zXjWHqZEqJTQtngZu51x62ywdVpg1RjEmxhdAqMBQO-I3I8088B3QsraIvKY_0rLqlVunT0pr7BiYhWQaucdpgXAQHv0V7KLj3NSfoHSEqyDXBnnYbhX1odDrZ8-wUXQ=s0-d-e1-ft

what happen Yartapuulti?

"On Friday 19th May The Yartapuulti Football Club will host Narrm – the Indigenous name of the Melbourne Football Club – who pioneered the rebranding idea in 2022."

In Kaurna, ‘Yarta’ means place or land and ‘Puulti’ means sleep or death, which is the name the Kaurna people gave the land around the Port River. A definition which troubles me deeply in the context of a footy game.

Last edited:

I don't care either way but I look forward to the melts.

I will never understand the bet each way on this stuff.

If you truly respect the traditional owners of the land and truly believe everything you are saying here then why go back to 'Port Adelaide' the week after?

For the record, the 'Adelaide' in our football club's name is taken from the Queen Consort of King William IV who was part of a long line of colonial oppressors who systemically crushed the very Indigenous population we are apparently so respectful of. But it's easier to ignore that bit because that conversation is a little too hard.

I don't care either way but I look forward to the melts.
Meh, are we carbon neutral yet?

Don't agree with changing the name of the club for any amount of time and we're only doing it because other clubs (Melbourne and Freo) have done it.
Perhaps it'll lead on to a point where every team in the league feels required to do it.

The programs the club runs are great, but we don't need to go changing our identity. The PAFC is supposed to represent everyone that puts on the jumper irrespective of background.

Last edited:
The programs the club runs are great, but we don't need to go changing our identity. The PAFC is supposed to represent everyone that puts on the jumper regardless of background.
And it does.

Do you feel that the club doesn't represent you if it goes by the name of Yartapuulti for a week?

If so, why, and how do you have any more reason not to feel represented by the name Yartapuulti than an Indigenous person has not to feel represented by the name Port Adelaide (especially given the reasons set out by TeeKray above)?

If not, then what's the problem?

And it does.

Do you feel that the club doesn't represent you if it goes by the name of Yartapuulti for a week?

If so, why, and how do you have any more reason not to feel represented by the name Yartapuulti than an Indigenous person has not to feel represented by the name Port Adelaide (especially given the reasons set out by TeeKray above)?

Because club identity is important. I thought we all understood that from the ongoing prison bar jumper debate.
It's funny how we're willing to just give things away when it suits.

"On Friday 19th May The Yartapuulti Football Club will host Narrm – the Indigenous name of the Melbourne Football Club – who pioneered the rebranding idea in 2022."

In Kaurna, ‘Yarta’ means place or land and ‘Puulti’ means sleep or death, which is the name the Kaurna people gave the land around the Port River. A definition which troubles me deeply in the context of a footy game.

Port Zombies.

I really like the Yartapuulti naming, especially as we'll be playing Naarm.

I really hate the forced mashing of the indigenous artwork surrounding the logo. It looks like an after thought and doesn't really reflect the new name or the culture that it represents. IMO, it's either all in or not at all. A completely indigenous logo in our colours would have been much, much better.

And it does.

Yes because that is not the clubs name. So now our past indigenous players didn't feel represented the same because the name of the club they played for wasn't a native word? You don't do co-captains, you don't invent a name for your club and a new logo for one game a year etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an acknowledgement of the Cheltenham Cemetery that most famous of Port Adelaide landmarks.

The way I see it, its not a different name at all but the same name, just in a different language.
Yeah I like this way of thinking.

What's with the Guernsey "being launched in the next couple of weeks" though? Game is next Friday, I'd potentially like to order one - what's the bet it isn't unveiled until next week and orders don't even come in until after the game?

I must've completely missed when Freo did this - what did they call themselves for the week fortnight?

EDIT: They're playing Naarm in week two of SDNR, as 'Walyalup'- the statement below is incorrect now - we've gazumped them by a week:

Last edited:
I must've completely missed when Freo did this - what did they call themselves for the week fortnight?

EDIT: They're playing Naarm in week two of SDNR, as 'Walyalup'- the statement below is incorrect now - we've gazumped them by a week:

Now that's how you do an indigenous logo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back