Coaching Staff Former Coach Ben "Truck" Rutten - Sacked for real this time - 21/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Something from the presser that I did like was Rutten saying that he has already spoken with the players and told them he's "going to coach them hard". Very keen to see what appears at the other end of that. I also like that he's going from coach of team defence to senior coach. Finally we'll have something that resembles a full-ground system rather than a reactionary slingshot mechanism that other teams have worked out. Surely that means Rutten has some say in who Dodoro chases.

It is almost like all we need to do is snap our fingers, throw some salt over our shoulders, turn Laverde into an inside mid and the premierships will come.
I don't think so. It has calculated choice written all over it, as opposed to leaving things to higher forces to control our destiny. Also, I'm not sure Laverde's body would survive a Richmond-type style of play.

So the narrative is that Worsfold was brought in more as a leader than a coach and he's been really successful at that so it's good he hangs around for another year plus Rutten can have a fall guy for any poor performance - and it's ok we aren't any sort of finals.threat yet because of the saga and we will be ok down the track after a few more "tweaks".

And we definitely didn't do this as a knee jerk reaction over Don getting the sack because we had already started the process a few days before....

Honestly whats the message from all this crap to the playing group ? You are still paying for the saga, even though you likely weren't there, because the coach you have had isn't really a cutting edge coach... and by the way he's around next year. The new coach isn't really responsible for next year either - have a good one!

Do you reckon the playing group just gets to watch the presser like the rest of us and that’s it?

Do you reckon the playing group just gets to watch the presser like the rest of us and that’s it?
What's your point? Having worked in some poor organisations in my time I'd guess they were given convoluted rubbish like this, even less information, or probably worst - a different story.
Do you think Essendon would handle this well with the playing group?

Last edited:
We more or less have changed coaches without paying out a million dollars.

Had nothing to do with Don Pyke, Richo identified Truck a couple years ago at tigers during premiership year and then targeted him last year as senior coach replacement.

As pointed out by others we have stability in our coaching ranks at least. this will be Ruttens team but he'll have the experience of Worsfold In a director of coaching role to guide him.
I don't get the 'stability' argument. If people are arguing we get continuity then I can see a point there but this doesn't provide extra stability to the club. There are several likely scenarios where this turns out poorly or the wheels fall off the arrangement (or it looks farcical) and very little upside imo. The stable option is to high five John saying blah blah great job done but results aren't what we hoped for after 4 years - clean break and get on with a new regime and head coach that's up for the tactics and implementation of a modern day football system.

This reeks of optics and arse covering because of a poor contract extension made by XC for mine but I'm happy to be proven wrong and next year is a great year for the club of course.

I don't get the 'stability' argument. If people are arguing we get continuity then I can see a point there but this doesn't provide extra stability to the club. There are several likely scenarios where this turns out poorly or the wheels fall off the arrangement (or it looks farcical) and very little upside imo. The stable option is to high five John saying blah blah great job done but results aren't what we hoped for after 4 years - clean break and get on with a new regime and head coach that's up for the tactics and implementation of a modern day football system.

This reeks of optics and arse covering because of a poor contract extension made by XC for mine but I'm happy to be proven wrong and next year is a great year for the club of course.

Understandable sentiments of negativity after 19 years of misery but I think the term 'very little upside' is incorrect.

A Ross Lyon, John Longmire or Alistair Clarkson could walk into any club and bring in their own guys and handle it to aplomb.

The new regime you're asking for needs help and will be the way of future coaching structures. We effectively will have a new regime with young fresh ideas so to speak in the form of Rutten, Caracella and possibly Solomon. Woosha's role will be to advise against the pitfalls of getting a Stephen Dank like character into the club which was chosen by a new regime...

I agree it was a bad decision by the board and XC to extend Worsfolds contract at the time but I don't think this is covering it up. If Worsfold had of been sacked they still would have employed Rutten as head coach but would have outsourced for an experienced mentor.

Time will only tell if this proves a masterstroke or massive failure but the same was said when Fagan walked into Brisbane or Clarkson took on the hawks.

This has very little to do with this:

It was likely a poor extension, but a succession plan arrangement (effectively they've said Rutten is coaching this year with Worsfold in a mentor role) for all intents and purposes means 0 media speculation, a clear direction forward for players currently here and ones we're looking to re-sign, ones we want to trade in, and any performance staff we're looking to bring in.

Francis can now sit down with Rutten and find out where he's spending the next stage of his career to decide if he'll sign an extension. Daniher can sit down and decide the same. Trade targets the same.

The only real risk is that for some reason Worsfold inexplicably decides he has no intention of returning to Perth with his family and wants to remain head coach long-term. Instead of a Director of Coaching type role where he could act in a mentor capacity, be able to come and go more freely, and allow for a smooth handover to Rutten without completely disrupting the coaching box and playing group.

What's your point? Having worked in some poor organisations in my time I'd guess they were given convoluted rubbish like this, even less information, or probably worst - a different story.
Do you think Essendon would handle this well with the playing group?

I’m just bemused that supporters think they are privy to every bit of info. If you join the dots just a little bit, we can’t pay woosh our and he has expressed he wants to go back to Perth.

What would you do?

I’m just bemused that supporters think they are privy to every bit of info. If you join the dots just a little bit, we can’t pay woosh our and he has expressed he wants to go back to Perth.

What would you do?

Paying Worsfold out would probably mean we wouldn’t have the money under the soft cap to chase Caracella.

Rich tapestry

What would you do?
Why can't we pay him out? I may have missed that part.

Sacking a coach right before the trade and draft period also upsets the apple cart a lot when speaking with players when other clubs are speaking to your players.

For a club that is hellbent on rebuilding structure this was their only option.

I think this is a situation where everyone wins. Instead of a first year coach coming in and upsetting balance we have him already here and he has a easing in process. We pick up a senior assistant to he has already worked with. The players like him. We don't sack woosh and tarnish what legacy he does have here.

This feels like an every party wins scenario to make things as smooth as possible.
Many people said woosh was best suited to a director or teaching role for the coaches, you got your wish.
Many wanted a young innovative coach, we got that and we get him eased in to learn the traps.
We want clear air with no coaching speculation, we have gone some way to alleviating that. Now the succession plan being public invites different articles to be written but it's largely in our control now.

We are getting a new fitness staff. Another thing people bitched and moaned about.

If you want to bash the club for every single thing they do feel free but I would have thought there comes a time when you accept that you don't know all the facts, that we may just have the right people in the right roles and support the club Or you walk away. Not threaten to do it but then snipe the club for another 3 years.

I don't think we are any chance of competing next year anyway as our forward line is ****ed without Joe I then think if you stretch out the rebuild of that line much further we lose too much out of the backline. That's my personal opinion so I don't think it's all sunshine. But they may change after the list moves in a few months.
But the club is making moves off field they aren't sitting and waiting so we can sit and wait and support.
If what the club is doing causes so much angst why are you supporting something that you don't enjoy? Find another club or find another sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because of the coaching salary cap. If we promote Rutten in immediately, we are effectively paying 2 senior coaches salaries in a salary cap which for every dollar you spend over you need to pay a $1 tax on.

So if we pay out John 800K for shits and gigs, and that puts us 400k over our coaching salary cap, it costs us $800k...

We can't afford it, I assume. I mean it's not explicit, but we have been burning the candle at both ends since the saga to get back on track. I doubt throwing a mil donw the toilet is something we can do atm.

Worsforld signed for three seasons being 2016, 2017, 2018.

Early 2018, re-signed for two further seasons 2019, 2020.

Late-2018, we poach Rutten who coached as an assistant at Richmond since 2015.

Rutten was signed before we missed finals, months after extending Worsfold for two more years at generous $$$.

The succession plan is the commercial decision, pushed by the commercial CEO. Might be good for the bottom line, might not be as good for on-field. The Worsfold extension means we have to keep him, but does it mean our hands are tied in appointing an internal successor for the interim year and, if so, have we missed a chance to appoint the best man for the job?

Rutten has some runs on the board and will have some able assistants' assistance, but Campbell may have snookered himself here. Here's hoping to a successful succession.

Because of the coaching salary cap. If we promote Rutten in immediately, we are effectively paying 2 senior coaches salaries in a salary cap which for every dollar you spend over you need to pay a $1 tax on.

So if we pay out John 800K for s**ts and gigs, and that puts us 400k over our coaching salary cap, it costs us $800k...
As if they couldn't work this out in Rutten's contract?

Last edited:
We can't afford it, I assume. I mean it's not explicit, but we have been burning the candle at both ends since the saga to get back on track. I doubt throwing a mil donw the toilet is something we can do atm.
So Essendon can't find the money to pay out Worsfold ? Even if that was true which I find extremely unlikely - in answer to your earlier question...
I would make it abundantly clear that Rutten is now the Senior Coach and that Worsfold is in a supporting role (if he must stay for $$$ reasons). I'd do that for the players, the supporters and the club in general.

I would also do it to avoiding events like farcical pressers next year where Worsfold answers questions about a game plan the whole football community knows is not actually his (imagine his investment in these next year).
If he's not the future and he's held a high level position at the Club you move him on - or at least get him well out of the way. That's what good leadership in any business would do.

Any heat on this club next year and this blows up imo.

So Essendon can't find the money to pay out Worsfold ? Even if that was true which I find extremely unlikely - in answer to your earlier question...
I would make it abundantly clear that Rutten is now the Senior Coach and that Worsfold is in a supporting role (if he must stay for $$$ reasons). I'd do that for the players, the supporters and the club in general.

I would also do it to avoiding events like farcical pressers next year where Worsfold answers questions about a game plan the whole football community knows is not actually his (imagine his investment in these next year).
If he's not the future and he's held a high level position at the Club you move him on - or at least get him well out of the way. That's what good leadership in any business would do.

Any heat on this club next year and this blows up imo.

Be honest, what has woosh ever given in pressers other than staying the course, working hard, who we are... he could face up to any media throng with the same answers whether he's coach or not.

Be honest, what has woosh ever given in pressers other than staying the course, working hard, who we are... he could face up to any media throng with the same answers whether he's coach or not.

Or 90% of coaches

Was having a chat with my GM the other day, amongst the chat which I pretty quickly dismissed as management speak was something he called the circles of control – it wasn’t until I got home that I realised I quite liked the idea and pursued it further.

Anyhow I reckon when applied to our footy club it may speak volumes..

im sure you all know it, but there are three circles, the circle of control, the outer circle of influence then the perimeter circle of concern.

The circle of control is what we can directly control by our actions, this is where proactive people operate.
The circle of influence are things we can influence via our relationships or actions but have no absolute control of its outcomes
The circle of concern are things that we are aware of that can impact us but have little or no control over. Reactive people operate a lot here.

Heres a go at us

Anyhow, after ruminating on it, I reckon we are a really reactive footy club who spend more time reacting to the circle of concern (addressing rumours, spruiking big club status, whining about fixtures, complaining about weather, worrying what others think of us, worrying what the media say about us, creating succession plans to appease baying media, asking for clarification on umpiring mistakes, trying to copy other teams game plans or poach their staff……. Rather than really controlling what we can control in the middle.

If what is written is right, the successful people work in the inner circle and work on things in the second circle knowing they have no control over the third.

as some bloke said "focus on what you can control, don't waste energy on the things you cannot"

clearly a quiet day in the office here... but im running with this.

Was having a chat with my GM the other day, amongst the chat which I pretty quickly dismissed as management speak was something he called the circles of control – it wasn’t until I got home that I realised I quite liked the idea and pursued it further.

Anyhow I reckon when applied to our footy club it may speak volumes..

im sure you all know it, but there are three circles, the circle of control, the outer circle of influence then the perimeter circle of concern.

View attachment 748286

The circle of control is what we can directly control by our actions, this is where proactive people operate.
The circle of influence are things we can influence via our relationships or actions but have no absolute control of its outcomes
The circle of concern are things that we are aware of that can impact us but have little or no control over. Reactive people operate a lot here.

Heres a go at us

View attachment 748287

Anyhow, after ruminating on it, I reckon we are a really reactive footy club who spend more time reacting to the circle of concern (addressing rumours, spruiking big club status, whining about fixtures, complaining about weather, worrying what others think of us, worrying what the media say about us, creating succession plans to appease baying media, asking for clarification on umpiring mistakes, trying to copy other teams game plans or poach their staff……. Rather than really controlling what we can control in the middle.

If what is written is right, the successful people work in the inner circle and work on things in the second circle knowing they have no control over the third.

as some bloke said "focus on what you can control, don't waste energy on the things you cannot"

clearly a quiet day in the office here... but im running with this.

I think this applies more to our supporters than anything else.

Edit: I'll expand,

addressing rumours- the rumours we largely ignore by giving no answers or vague answers that only further encourage the talk by media or supporters? Where we get hammered for saying nothing and also when saying something?

spruiking big club status- examples? All I see is the supporters saying this and the club mentions it when attracting talent. That's a good thing. Sell yourself to attract the best. We didn't fly jets up to Noosa if that's what you're getting at?

whining about fixtures- again when? And by who that isn't a supporter? In fact we were quite happy with the commercial aspects of our fixture this year.

Complaining about weather- supporters.

worrying what others think of us- trying to repair a reputation we destroyed ourselves is just smart business. In fact one would say it's within our control to better conduct ourselves

worrying what the media say about us- realising that for a club trying to turn it's image around to ensure we can grow from this black period it is pretty important to at least have sections of the media on board.

creating succession plans to appease baying media- going outside the box of sack current coach (what media wanted) replace with young next of the grid coach action the club instead to assist with the circumstances of our employees through a laid out plan and is implementing a strategic handover? Yes I think we definitely gave the media what they wanted here...

asking for clarification on umpiring mistakes- yeah successfully run clubs don't do that, you would never see a team say second on the ladder ask about the treatment of a player? A star small forward perhaps?
I mean what do you expect a coffee catch-up with woosh on his laptop with Gil? Ha!
No successfull coach or club does that. SO reactionary.

trying to copy other teams game plans or poach their staff - replacing staff with superior talent from superior systems to grow your club. Yes this is...reactionary?

A lot of nonsensical statements wrapped up with some pictures.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back