List Mgmt. Free Agency 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free agency is a brilliant addition to the AFL landscape and clubs can benefit enormously from it if they are smart operators.

I hope that Carlton embraces the opportunities it opens and judging on our movements this season I believe we are actively looking to do so.

We were active in 2013 and looking at the list it may well be a very busy time for us again in 2014.

My thoughts on free agency are very simple:

- If a player wants out, let them leave. No player is greater than the club, players can always be replaced. Keeping a player on the books who does not want to be there can lead to problems down the track and I think it is wise to avoid that.

- If a player is offered what we deem to be an unreasonably large contract by another club, don't match it. We have a list management team and their job can't be compromised by being overly reactive to the market.

- Don't bend over backward to accommodate a potential recruit. On-field benefit aside, they have to fit into our list management process. If they don't, don't pursue them unreasonably.

- Don't be seduced by free agency and compelled to dip our toes into the water every year, even if we're in a position financially to do so. The player has to fit; if they don't, pass.

My other thought is that if we're in a position to take advantage of a compensation pick, jump at the opportunity to do so within reason. Obviously we didn't do that this year with Thomas too good an opportunity to pass up.

With regards to our free agency movements in 2014.....

Our List (listed in order of concern)
Gibbs - Cops his fair share of criticism but he is a very good footballer and an important member of our side. I have no doubt there will be a significant number of clubs in the ear of his manager throughout the year.

Walker - Getting on a bit in age but he is still producing at a very high level and should be able to do so for a number of years to come. Will appeal to clubs who are already there or there abouts.

Jamison - Some clubs would kill for a key position defender of Jamison's quality. His extensive injury history may convince some potential suitors to look elsewhere but I do expect a number of clubs to inquire.

Those 3 are of concern to me. The following 4 are available but their status as free agents does not concern me.

Simpson - Bleeds blue and couldn't possibly imagine him playing for another club. He's a leader both on and off the field and in many respects the heart and soul of the club.

Murphy - Captain and arguably our best player at full fitness. Can't see him leaving.

Waite - Loves the club and is well and truly winding down. I can see him moving if a club comes knocking with a ridiculous offer but I don't believe any such offer will come. More likely to retire.

Scotland - This will almost certainly be his final season at the club, with retirement beckoning. No club will show interest, and if they do, he should jump at the opportunity.

The Targets (in order of my preference)

There are a number of players I'd be actively pursuing. Some very good players on this list who would be extremely valuable additions to our side.

The first two on the below list are unrealistic targets and won't leave. However it is a deep pool with plenty of others worth pursuing and certainly far more realistic targets.

1. Travis Boak - Captain of Port Adelaide who has developed into a top tier midfielder. Every club in the competition would be interested but he won't leave.

2. David Mundy - One of the best midfielders in one of the best midfield units in the competition. Outstanding footballer who I think suffers somewhat in reputation due to being outside Victoria. Can't see him leaving with Fremantle a genuine premiership threat over the next few seasons.

3. Ben Reid - Tough call between Reid and Frawley as to who is 3rd here. I've gone with Reid as he can play at a high level at both ends. Reid is now in the prime of his career and the flexibility he brings to the table will no doubt be enormously appealing. Has obviously worked with both Mick and Buttifant which may well help us even more. Would be a huge addition to our side.

4. James Frawley - Outstanding footballer who would be a huge addition to our side and could easily appear above Reid on this list. One of the better full backs in the competition who suffers from playing in such a poor side. Huge chance to leave should Melbourne have another poor season but the Roos factor is significant and should not be underestimated.

5. Nick Smith - There's nothing flashy about him but he is one of the best small defenders in the game. Would be a terrific addition to our defensive stocks. Can also push through the midfield and should have a number of years of very good football ahead of him. He's a Victorian boy so returning home may be something that really appeals to him. We're also likely in a good position to offer him a more attractive contract than Sydney in terms of finances. Sydney are one of the best sides in the competition so success wouldn't be a motivating factor behind any move. Hope he's good friends with Andrejs...

6. Garrick Ibbotson - Has been around for a long while and is a very solid footballer. Was having an outstanding season in 2013 before injuries cut him down. Can play through the midfield as well as down back and is at a good age. I think Fremantle will be very keen to keep hold of him and the prospects of success won't lure him into a move but he'd be worth speaking to for sure.

7. Tyson Goldsack - Appears last on this list but if I was ranking on likelihood he'd probably appear on top. I've always been a fan of Goldsack who is a solid footballer. Not a star but can play at both ends of the ground and have an impact. Solid defensively but can also swing forward and hit the scoreboard. He's not a permanent fixture for the Pies but he is good enough to play at senior level week in week out. Has played over 100 games now so brings experience but should have a few good years left in him yet. Flexibility will appeal as will having worked with MM and Buttifant in the past. I think he's a very realistic chance of joining us.

I really wanted Carlton to go after Westhoff a couple of years ago or whenever his contract was up but I feel we have missed the boat. I seriously don't think any of the FA will go unless they have no choice. For my mind pay Simmo and Jamo whatever they want I can't see them being motivated by money. For those who criticise Jamo's footskills he has held our backline together for the past few years and I really did feel for him over the past two years as the backline was not settled with players coming and going.

The interesting question will be if Carlton our able to meet all players money expectations. I would hate to see any of them getting underpaid.

I really wanted Carlton to go after Westhoff a couple of years ago or whenever his contract was up but I feel we have missed the boat. I seriously don't think any of the FA will go unless they have no choice. For my mind pay Simmo and Jamo whatever they want I can't see them being motivated by money. For those who criticise Jamo's footskills he has held our backline together for the past few years and I really did feel for him over the past two years as the backline was not settled with players coming and going.

The interesting question will be if Carlton our able to meet all players money expectations. I would hate to see any of them getting underpaid.
To be honest i've not heard anyone criticise Jamisons foot skills. He's a lovely long kick of the football, and to be honest i wish he used it more often. The few times he gets on his bike and kicks long i find it really effective.

Chris Johnson had elite footskills. :eek:

So did Setanta.....just not when kicking a football :D

Srsly tho, generally speaking would much rather we target the players with 8 years of service, rather than the 10+ guys. Can't argue with the pinch-hit success of recruitments of players like Lake, but would so much rather pick up a 25-26yo who could offer 5-8+ seasons of service.

Would really love it if we were good enough in the next couple of years that players wanted to join us to chase premierships and not because we are writing big cheques (works more for unrestricted). That's where you get real value IMHO.

Looking to 2014, would so love to get Frawley or Reid. Reckon Goldsack would be a great value get.

As for out list, agree that Gibbs and Walker are arguably the biggest risks. Not sure what HatMan's salary is, but he could be even harder to replace with the hypothetical resulting cap space than Gibbs.

Buddy won 2 flags and was offered stupid money. He was always going.

Our boys on the other hand haven't had the same success. So what I'm saying is, let's get to that level so the boys don't want to go.

Buddy won 2 flags and was offered stupid money. He was always going.

Our boys on the other hand haven't had the same success. So what I'm saying is, let's get to that level so the boys don't want to go.

If you believe that Gibbs wont be offered stupid money from Adelaide you must be either in denial or delusional
Crows have been preparing to have a shot at Gibbs since the Tippett funds become available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you believe that Gibbs wont be offered stupid money from Adelaide you must be either in denial or delusional
Crows have been preparing to have a shot at Gibbs since the Tippett funds become available

Save that for your own Board where most of your own posters are in denial or delusional!

She said that Gibbs won't be offered Buddy-type stupid money. We all fully expect Adelaide and Port to go hard after Gibbs and I'd venture to say that all clubs (depending on their salary cap room, naturally) would be stupid not to go hard after him.

She said that Gibbs won't be offered Buddy-type stupid money. We all fully expect Adelaide and Port to go hard after Gibbs and I'd venture to say that all clubs (depending on their salary cap room, naturally) would be stupid not to go hard after him.

Buddy getting 10mil over 9 years , Wouldnt suprise me if Crows offer Gibbs $1mil py over 7 years - That i would consider to be stupid buddy like money

$9m over 10 years? I wouldn't blame him if he went. He's not worth $1m a year.

$9m over 10 years? I wouldn't blame him if he went. He's not worth $1m a year.

You see the 'what his worth' is the debated point & without pissing people off here lets just have a look at how things stand in free agency

* Dale Thomas - $750k py .............. Is Bryce Gibbs 2 years younger and extremely durable worth $250k more ???
* Crows have had a big hit with the tippett thing, They had allocated funds that havnt been used and have off loaded player like vince who's wage would of been a direct swap for Betts wage - But would of used the remaining funds from tippett to front end Danger,Sloan etc etc

* Bryce Gibbs is certainly worth $1 mill a year to the crows as they would have made room in their tpp cap and are a profitable club that has lost 2 years of picks and will be looking to get back some quality which they traded for picks in vince

How do I block/ignore posters who come onto our board pretending to be genuine but then go back to their own board and act like a flog?

You see the 'what his worth' is the debated point & without pissing people off here lets just have a look at how things stand in free agency

* Dale Thomas - $750k py .............. Is Bryce Gibbs 2 years younger and extremely durable worth $250k more ???
* Crows have had a big hit with the tippett thing, They had allocated funds that havnt been used and have off loaded player like vince who's wage would of been a direct swap for Betts wage - But would of used the remaining funds from tippett to front end Danger,Sloan etc etc

* Bryce Gibbs is certainly worth $1 mill a year to the crows as they would have made room in their tpp cap and are a profitable club that has lost 2 years of picks and will be looking to get back some quality which they traded for picks in vince

Agree you pay overs for a player during FA to get them out of the club. $1m for Gibbs is way over.

P.S Daisy Thomas is on $700k not $750k but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your made up stories.

See you in round 2 for a repeat of the Elimination Final. Wasn't that a great day :D

Agree you pay overs for a player during FA to get them out of the club. $1m for Gibbs is way over.

P.S Daisy Thomas is on $700k not $750k but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your made up stories.

See you in round 2 for a repeat of the Elimination Final. Wasn't that a great day :D

He'd know what paying overs for a player feels like. Just look how Martin held the club at ransom over his inflated sense of self worth. Now, if he managed to put 4 quarters together for once it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back