Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

I realise that there is the thought that the top end of 2018 is more "solid" than elite, but our 2 look like 150 gamers in the making, and haven't all the top 10 had a debut already? So not too shabby. It also looks like it will have provided reasonable players quite deep into the draft.

What are your thoughts about the depth of the upcoming draft?

And I was being a bit lite with my comment about the next draft, but I have heard it looks okay. What are your thoughts this far out? Is that the draft our Walkers are in?

I went and watched the state 16's trials on Saturday. The only player trialing from the academy was Keanu Haddow. Both the Walker boys and Joel Western werent there althought I heard Joel was not available, rather than not selected.

Last edited:

Is medhat playing? No wafl games since his 11 touch game 3 weeks ago has me thinking he is injured.
I'm not sure which individual players were playing sorry - pretty sure I recognised a few but without a team sheet it was tough and I was guessing. Brady Grey coached today (I assume because Tendai had to be the runner for Freo). Final score was 146 to 8 from memory. It honestly felt like Petrie had begged them to let his youngsters kick a goal in the last few minutes of the game. Whole crowd gave them a cheer when they did which was nice.

I'm not sure which individual players were playing sorry - pretty sure I recognised a few but without a team sheet it was tough and I was guessing. Brady Grey coached today (I assume because Tendai had to be the runner for Freo). Final score was 146 to 8 from memory. It honestly felt like Petrie had begged them to let his youngsters kick a goal in the last few minutes of the game. Whole crowd gave them a cheer when they did which was nice.

The Curtin Raiser on the weekend was played by 2003 - 2004 aged boys so Medhat wouldnt have been playing. The Dockers NGA will generally always have an edged over the Eagles because they hand pick their players where the Eagles send invitations out to everyone.

The Curtin Raiser on the weekend was played by 2003 - 2004 aged boys so Medhat wouldnt have been playing. The Dockers NGA will generally always have an edged over the Eagles because they hand pick their players where the Eagles send invitations out to everyone.
Yeah I assumed it was u16s(ish). I think a 146 to 8 scoreline is a bit more than an edge ;) Especially when those 8 points came in the last few minutes - have no doubt they could have been held scoreless if Freo really wanted to. So West Coast just pull lotto numbers out to select their team do they? The quality of the players was clearly better for Freo but they were also far better coached. I'm not sure what Petrie has been doing since taking their NGA role but they looked an absolute rabble out there where the Freo boys played tight as a team. Maybe WC need to hand pick their players and properly invest in it? Isn't the whole point of NGA to create elite environments not just give out participation medals and a big group hug around Nic Nat for the West front page? Observing from the outside they seem a bit entitled with it all, just like they were with their AFLW pitch. It's yet another reason why I can't stand the mob down the road. Do they do anything at all if there isn't a PR angle they can leverage to extract even more cash from their gullible supporter base?

Yeah I assumed it was u16s(ish). I think a 146 to 8 scoreline is a bit more than an edge ;) Especially when those 8 points came in the last few minutes - have no doubt they could have been held scoreless if Freo really wanted to. So West Coast just pull lotto numbers out to select their team do they? The quality of the players was clearly better for Freo but they were also far better coached. I'm not sure what Petrie has been doing since taking their NGA role but they looked an absolute rabble out there where the Freo boys played tight as a team. Maybe WC need to hand pick their players and properly invest in it? Isn't the whole point of NGA to create elite environments not just give out participation medals and a big group hug around Nic Nat for the West front page? Observing from the outside they seem a bit entitled with it all, just like they were with their AFLW pitch. It's yet another reason why I can't stand the mob down the road. Do they do anything at all if there isn't a PR angle they can leverage to extract even more cash from their gullible supporter base?

Yes, edge was a poor choice of words on my behalf o_O should have replaced this with "Belt the living crap out of" :drunk:

The Eagles have got some great coaches in Adam Selwood, Drew Petrie, Kim Hannah and Mark Hutchings but it appears their main strategy is too expand their brand as widely as possible where I see Freo organise talent days and regularly invitational squads. The Eagles have an invitation only elite group of players who train at least once every 2 months and mostly which are colts players, but you dont get to see them often and some of their recent invitations are very questionable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke power spoke a little about Jason Carter on road to the draft podcast today. Basically said that he is as quick as any kid he has seen at his age. Really happy with his defensive efforts in the academy game. Jason just needs to continue to improve his skills particularly at pace because he is going just going so quick.

Luke power spoke a little about Jason Carter on road to the draft podcast today. Basically said that he is as quick as any kid he has seen at his age. Really happy with his defensive efforts in the academy game. Jason just needs to continue to improve his skills particularly at pace because he is going just going so quick.
Fantastic. Hope that knee holds up.

I got the impression Luke Power wasn’t happy with where his kicking skills are at, maybe it’s because he’s going 120% faster than anyone else.

Anyone know what his kicking is like (long, short, left foot, right foot) I’ve seen him put his body on the line marking.

So know he is not going to shirk the hard balls.

I got the impression Luke Power wasn’t happy with where his kicking skills are at, maybe it’s because he’s going 120% faster than anyone else.

Anyone know what his kicking is like (long, short, left foot, right foot) I’ve seen him put his body on the line marking.

So know he is not going to shirk the hard balls.
"I was happy with his defensive efforts" is like the participation award of coaches comments.

Hopefully the technique is ok and he just needs to learn composure.

Tom Medhat and Jason carter named in the WA 18's squad and Brandon and Chris Walker, Joel Western, Keanu Haddow and Kalani brooks named for the 16's.

Other non-NGA players of interest are obviously Ian Hill and Dillon O'Reilly but also Jack Buller, Deven Robertson and Rhai-arn Cox for the 18's and Jaxon Bellchambers, Taj Schofield for the 16's.

Tom Medhat and Jason carter named in the WA 18's squad and Brandon and Chris Walker, Joel Western, Keanu Haddow and Kalani brooks named for the 16's.

Other non-NGA players of interest are obviously Ian Hill and Dillon O'Reilly but also Jack Buller, Deven Robertson and Rhai-arn Cox for the 18's and Jaxon Bellchambers, Taj Schofield for the 16's.
Our U16 NGA looking very promising!

Any word on Liam Henry? Isn’t he meant to be pretty special

Our U16 NGA looking very promising!
If only one of the 5 of them was a tall forward :( Think Brooks is the tallest of the 5 at 186cm. There are some tall boys in that u16s squad though - McDonald and Montgomerie both over 200cm @ 15yo :eek:

Some classy blood lines in the mix in those squads - obviously Ian Hill (cousin of Stephen and Brad), Ira Jetta (cousin of Neville and Lewis), Ezekial Bolton (cousin of Shai), Tyler Brockman (cousin of Greg Broughton)... Ok maybe not Greg's...

Am also interested in what has happened to Liam Henry, and also Jordan Kickett (nephew of Derek and Dale) who was flagged as one of the best prospects from the u16s earlier in the year.

Liam Henry, Isiah Butters and Leno Thomas are all from the Kimberley and all haven’t been playing Colts this year. Could be as simple as that. Whether that’s a bad thing or it doesn’t mean anything I don’t know.

Does anyone have an updated list of our NGA prospects? Didn’t know we even had a Kalani Brooks in our NGA Academy.

Liam Henry, Isiah Butters and Leno Thomas are all from the Kimberley and all haven’t been playing Colts this year. Could be as simple as that. Whether that’s a bad thing or it doesn’t mean anything I don’t know.

Does anyone have an updated list of our NGA prospects? Didn’t know we even had a Kalani Brooks in our NGA Academy.

Kalani has just made the final 32 man WA squad for the 2018 u/16 competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back