Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

If they can find the footy and distribute it really well, does it matter what their heights are ?.

Could be another case of natural footy player Versus tall beanpole athlete. Give me the footy player anyday.
strong inverse correlation of post to user name :cool:

If they can find the footy and distribute it really well, does it matter what their heights are ?.

Could be another case of natural footy player Versus tall beanpole athlete. Give me the footy player anyday.
our best performance as a club was built around a tall midfield. Size wise, Fyfe, Acres, Valente and Cerra fit that kind of scenario, with Brayshaw, Serong, Walters and Henry all in there as well.

Matthew Lloyd wants you to know that he hates this whole program (4:38), we shouldn't get the chance to have first dibs on the players we develop, and that we should scrap it. Not F/S for some strange reason though. :think:

Matthew Lloyd wants you to know that he hates this whole program (4:38), we shouldn't get the chance to have first dibs on the players we develop, and that we should scrap it. Not F/S for some strange reason though. :think:

The father son rules Hurts WA!SA teams, and helps Victorian.
Maybe you should only be able to use F/S NGA once per draft?

Lloyd has such a Vic bias. Wants an AFL reserves team for every side so Essendon and Carlton and the likes can play each other in reserves. Probably didn’t enter his head how much extra cost it would be for interstate teams. Clown.

The dumb thing is with Kobe Farmer we might finally see some benefit from it. Gonna be really pissed if it's removed now, after we spent 25 years playing teams that have been advantaged by it.

Kobe might pick Melbourne yet, fingers crossed he chooses us though
Any word or indication on how good he actually is? Like would he be likely to be drafted if his name wasn’t Farmer? If he lives in WA you’d have to think we are favourites to get him, wasnt jeff included on our 25 since 95 too??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word or indication on how good he actually is? Like would he be likely to be drafted if his name wasn’t Farmer? If he lives in WA you’d have to think we are favourites to get him, wasnt jeff included on our 25 since 95 too??
Just think off Jeff but taller and smoother and fast as a bull when it sees red 💪

A lot of talk about Western but I think Brandon Walker will get the higher bid, perfect modern rebound defender with his speed and marking ability. Not much footage of him but he does impress in the academy vs New Zealand game last year.

His jumper number is 11

Western is the one we've been able to see more of with the Claremont Grand Final and being in the All Stars game last year.

Numbers also easier for us noobs to get behind.

I do remember that video and loving the way he moved but couldnt help but put a big disclaimer due to the quality of opposition

Sucks we likely wont get a chance to see them this year - hope they both get a shot

Western is the one we've been able to see more of with the Claremont Grand Final and being in the All Stars game last year.

Numbers also easier for us noobs to get behind.

I do remember that video and loving the way he moved but couldnt help but put a big disclaimer due to the quality of opposition

Sucks we likely wont get a chance to see them this year - hope they both get a shot
Walker was doing similar things at the 16s champs which earnt him AA honours, I wouldn’t worry too much about the quality of opposition when some highly rated players had very low output games in that game.

Walker was doing similar things at the 16s champs which earnt him AA honours, I wouldn’t worry too much about the quality of opposition when some highly rated players had very low output games in that game.
Works for me, hopefully he doesnt go pick 1 =)

Will be very interesting to see what we do and what happens with list sizes. I'm sure we'd rather have Western and Walker on our list than some of our other NGA's at the moment - as cruel as that is and that might be a choice we have to make

Where do people think Western & B Walker will land in the draft? Id imagine both players would be top 40 or 50? If there’s a national champs this year both would form a key part of Western Australia’s team you’d think?
Butters and Thomas didn’t make the WA squad at all last year and I think western and walker both did as underagers?

Where do people think Western & B Walker will land in the draft? Id imagine both players would be top 40 or 50? If there’s a national champs this year both would form a key part of Western Australia’s team you’d think?
Butters and Thomas didn’t make the WA squad at all last year and I think western and walker both did as underagers?

Yes both of them were in the squad whilst neither Thomas and Butters did. It should be noted that both Thomas and Butters played in the WAFL colts grand final and were most probably in the Top 5 (Western was also around about there); also Butters and to a lesser extent Thomas have features that AFL recruiters are keen on. Butters is a nice size for a third tall forward, a good kick and mark and has some real tricks, whilst Thomas was consistent, fearless, neat with his disposal and defended very well.

Whilst Western is extremely fast and gets a lot of the ball, he is also very small (172cm) to the point where recruiters will probably think he is under the "minimum" height that they would want to recruit with; this is not just sub "AFL height" we are talking about; this is much smaller than normal average height. Additionally his kicking can be quite hit and miss; you could still see him coming in early if his kicking was thought to be okay, but having poor height AND average kicking IMO really doesn't help him at least pre-rookie listing.

On the other hand, I think Brandon Walker will surprise as he is very much everything that recruiters look for; tall (for his position) and a good mark, fast and can kick well. His one downside is he currently has low possession numbers, but he isn't playing midfield, and those that have seen him often comment that what he does when he gets the ball is quality. I note that some of the more vic centric draft watchers have him quite high up their lists, so I think that he is definitely in the frame for Top 40 and even potentially Top 30.

Whilst Western is extremely fast and gets a lot of the ball, he is also very small (172cm) to the point where recruiters will probably think he is under the "minimum" height that they would want to recruit with; this is not just sub "AFL height" we are talking about; this is much smaller than normal average height. Additionally his kicking can be quite hit and miss; you could still see him coming in early if his kicking was thought to be okay, but having poor height AND average kicking IMO really doesn't help him at least pre-rookie listing.

Based on that description, the player that pops into my head would be Liam Baker (173cm and average kick). He went #18 in the Rookie draft.

Farmer is up there as 1 of my favourites. He was so explosive & classy, would lift the side & take the game up a level.
Next game he would get suspended or give away a heap of dumb frees.
He could have been the greatest small forward of our time.

Looks like his boy has his head engaged.
It's a different world we live in.
Hope he has half of his dads talent.

Good luck little farmer 😍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back