Game Day Fremantle vs Western Bulldogs - AFLW Rnd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith is my favourite player. future Mrs Elvis.

first game and all that so not worth having a crack at anyone but seriously, typical bloody freo coaching. strong defense. hold posession well. then have no idea or strategy to goal when it goes forward of the square. makes me worried for the men regardless of who we put forward.

bullies were very good. some real sominant stars who took control

Not a great start at all. Wasteful in front of goal.
Each team thats lost so far has kicked 1 goal so im not that concerned to me it just shows theres a gulf between the haves and the have nots and it shows what we need to work on, we will get there, no rush. Lets build our womens game into something great and worry about everything else after

Disappointing..... and geez I am going to have my work cut out for me picking Stephanie Cain as my buddy! :huh:
She looked incredibly nervous out there. She was really solid in the practice matches so not sure what was going on. Back her in - she is better than that performance. My buddy was the same, as was Green. They are all only 20yo and I get the feeling almost all our youngsters really struggled with the pressure. Bentley and Haynes both showed signs at times but both seemed underdone after their injuries - they'll get better each week.

She looked incredibly nervous out there. She was really solid in the practice matches so not sure what was going on. Back her in - she is better than that performance. My buddy was the same, as was Green. They are all only 20yo and I get the feeling almost all our youngsters really struggled with the pressure. Bentley and Haynes both showed signs at times but both seemed underdone after their injuries - they'll get better each week.

Thought bentley showed some good signs, feel like im getting on top of the players names slowly. Best $3 i ever spent lol on the footy record

Give the criticisms a rest they havent being together that long, a full pre season and they will come up better, if no improvement shown by next year than criticise
Why? The Bulldogs could hit a target by foot and hand. Our girls couldn't mark, kick, bounce, handball or tackle. What are they out there for? You want to give them a full year to work that out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each team thats lost so far has kicked 1 goal so im not that concerned to me it just shows theres a gulf between the haves and the have nots and it shows what we need to work on, we will get there, no rush. Lets build our womens game into something great and worry about everything else after

We should not be a have not. The talent available in WA isn't a great deal less than the talent in Victoria - and they're split 4 ways. But in saying that, there's no need for panic. Just the travel alone is something to consider. These aren't women with years of experience getting on a plane and performing in front of an opposition crowd.

I think there was an element of being outcoached, but I can't really fault the long term strategy. The players simply don't have the skills to execute the gameplan yet. Maybe the coaching staff know this and persist because as the players get better they're going to be able to pull it off. I can't really explain it any other way - why else would you ask players that can't hit a target 25 metres away to try and switch play? It's suicide.

I think there was an element of being outcoached, but I can't really fault the long term strategy. The players simply don't have the skills to execute the gameplan yet. Maybe the coaching staff know this and persist because as the players get better they're going to be able to pull it off. I can't really explain it any other way - why else would you ask players that can't hit a target 25 metres away to try and switch play? It's suicide.
Yeah it was heart in mouth stuff when anyone decided to kick across goals down back.

16-a-side. Meant to create open play, but it's done the opposite, teams unwilling to leave a backline exposed. We've seen +1/+2 per team in the backline. Not the expected effect.

16-a-side. Meant to create open play, but it's done the opposite, teams unwilling to leave a backline exposed. We've seen +1/+2 per team in the backline. Not the expected effect.
I agree with this - 16 a side means few players likely to be ahead of the ball on a fast break. In every game in seemed like the ball was locked down one end.

Brisbane beat Melbourne on Sunday and are coached by the highly regarded Starcevich. Maybe not a pushover this Sunday after our performance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back